Vehicle automation along splines (with LightWave instancer)

LightWaveGuru

Vehicle automation along splines (with Lightwave instancer system). Today I show you the first test renderings of the vehicle automation using splines and the Lightwave instancer. If you notice dropped frames, these are single frames i removed because the update of the instancer in octane gave unexpected results. but this is not so bad because i know now what the problem is. so the bug will be fixed in the next version. thanks to Martin Rath for drawing the splines for the whole city area. the special challenge of this city is that the streets are not flat but follow the elevation map of zurich in switzerland which was used to create the city. i will clean up and prepare these splines from martin in the next days so that you can instantiate more vehicles on them. and now have fun with this preview. :)

snip LWGuru

Shabazzy

LightWave Fan Boi
This is absurdly fantastic.

We Are Not Worthy!

(btw. what is the title of the music? It's so good. (y)(y)(y))

LightWaveGuru

hi @ all,

the geometry of the city i created 3 years ago with esri city engine (procedural city builder).
but i only now had the time to "animate" and edit it. i have 8 other such cities. therefore.
i now show at a city what you can do. but as you can see this is nothing for kids who play around with dice in 3d programs and then think they can judge the software.

that means such projects need exact planning and execution. the scene development behind it requires a lot of time. Most of the time is not needed for editing but for thinking about how to organize something so that it can be animated and rendered. the keyword here is memory management. That's why efficient instantiation/instancing is the basic principle, otherwise it wouldn't be possible without rendering many layers.

that means the city fits into one scene and can be computed out of the box with lightwave and octane with all the layers i need for compositing in one. with 6.5 GB currently in VRAM memory, this now allows me to add another 3 GB of traffic to the city. So this is what i call "3d scene". Little of this is actually art, but rather the knowledge of the in-house and external tools that can be integrated into Lightwave. this is therefore primarily an engineering activity and not art. But! The better the engineer, the more artistic the result. So and now I continue...
🙂

BTW here a Octane IPR-Shot from yesterday (meanwhile all roads are equipped with splines and the vehicles are automated)

Scenes Statistic City Night Shot 01

10062 bones as handles for the setup of the 215 splines where traffic is automated. (distributed spline instancing) = 215 roads driven on
instanced trees for the whole 20x20 kilometer city area = 250.000
instanced vehicles = 35.000
instanced lanterns = 36.500
Surfaces = 1030
textures = 493
the instanced vehicles are varied in their colors over the instance ID. each vehicle has 32 different color combinations.
light emission maps for the houses are based on the assigned bitmaps. from these the light information for the light emission is extracted via node set up.
objects in scene = 674409
triangles in scene = 171140001
6.512 GB of VRAM have been used so far.
Calculated with path tracing kernel 24/24 depth with a ray epsilon of 5 mm and a GI clamping of 100.

snip LWGuru

Top Bottom