UV shadowing in director

mdoyle

Finally after a good few days from work at this and with working with petterms I have come up with a applying shadow maps in shockwave using w3d's and 2nd texture layers. This might also be able to help actually doing morphs in director too (in theory)

Here is a link for people to have a look at.

ShadowTool

Extract the files

Just run the viewer.exe in publish and go to file then open

choose Room_01_Colour.w3d

Then go to tools and generate shadow

Choose Room_01_Shadow.w3d

This should take no more than 30 seconds depending on the speed of your pc.
The number keys on the keyboard )1,2 and 3) will change your controls of rotate pan and zoom.

This is still a work in progress and will hopefully write the shadow map to code so you don't need to w3d's and can then apply shadow maps in real time in games or interactions

Yarg

Game Developer
Nice. I've tried this many times and though it works on simple models like the one you're using it always seems to fall over on big scenes. I think I'm ok on the lingo it's just how I do my UV's in LW i think. How do you setup your UV's?

I tend to tile things a lot and copy objects and thus their uv's.

Any tips would be great.

mdoyle

I'm note sure exactly what you mean about my uvs. Where I want to have a decent texture I tend to tile it for example walls and floors. Then the shadows are done completely seperate in a seperate uv.

The complexity of the scene doesn't make too much of a difference the only problem comes in, in the amount of textures in memory. That one room is part of a bigger scene anyway and it all works. I do get problems with shadows in the uvs sometimes but I just need to be carfeul that when I create the shadow uv in that it was built from the original model and hasn't changed at all.

mdoyle

If u tell me where u are getting problems or find it a annoying let me know and see cos am not sure what u mean

Yarg

Game Developer
I don't know where I'm going wrong then ;-( The codes not that difficult, it must be a UV prob my end. Can you tell me if you separate say the walls into separate meshes or are they all joined (vertices I mean) to the floor.

I tried for a couple of weeks on Police chopper but gave up (that's at miniclip.com if you want to take a look)

Thanks for the info

Raya / yarg :stumped:

mdoyle

The walls are joined to the floor but they do have a different surfaces/shaders but share the same uv map. I create the texture for the walls and the floor so they were roughly the same size as a sqaure texture so when I tiled them or strecthed the uv the all scaled the same way. I had no problems with them being welded. I have however experienced problems with welding 2 objects before and their uvs and objects becoming messed up but I am not too sure how I done it. IF you want to send me the chpper object I can uv it showing how I would do it if you like and send it back?

Top Bottom