Using Real Flow with LW 2018

lwanmtr

Lwanmtr
Im wondering if anyone has any links, etc to good modernish information about using Real Flow 10.1 with Lightwave...specially using the granular solver from RF.

Everything out there is geared toward C4D and Maya, which have more features between Rf and them.

Wondering because I had a bout of insanity and wanted to learn it ...I used RF4 long ago, but cant remember all that stuff..lol.

Thanks

Oldcode

You'll need a copy of the latest Real Flow connection software for Lightwave. If you have a licensed version of Real Flow, RFConnect is included in your download section. It allows you to pass geometry and animation data between the two softwares.

Generally, you export the parts of your Lightwave scene you need to interact with the fluid into a special file called a SD file. You import the SD file into Real Flow and use it to build your Real Flow simulation. You then import the Real Flow data files, either particles or geometry, back into Lightwave so it can be rendered with your original scene.

That's a very simple explanation. The details can get complicated depending on what you're trying to do, but that's essentially it. In the link below, there's in embedded video about halfway down the page called Real Flow Pipeline.

http://www.nextlimit.com/realflow/#prettyphoto/1/

Good Luck,

lwanmtr

Lwanmtr
Yeah I got the RF Connect plugin from my downloads..thought it would be included in the rf package (dunno why).

Currently i have planned a few relatively simple scenes.

Thanks..the SD thing was throwing me.. when I was looking at the tuts for other apps...like i said i forgot alot since I last used it.

On the plus side Ive been able to pick it back up fairly quickly.....now optimization is something im gonna have to work on so I can avoid the 10 minute solving time.

lwanmtr

Lwanmtr
Thanks again...I managed to get the workflow going and using LW's new volumetrics. I dont remember it being that easy back in 9.6 / rf4 days...lol

lwanmtr

Lwanmtr
Yeah too many fun tools, its easy to get distracted from what Im trying to do. And easy to get carried away and wind up with too many particles...hehe.

Of course getting the volumetrics in LW to look how i want is getting to be the trick.

jwiede

Electron wrangler
Of course getting the volumetrics in LW to look how i want is getting to be the trick.

Given the LW volumetrics rendering seems focused more towards vapor-/smoke-type uses, it might be difficult to get quite the "granular" look you're seeking, but good luck! If you do figure it out, it'd definitely be worth posting how you got it to look "granular".

lwanmtr

Lwanmtr
Still trying at it... Volumetrics a no go, cant get a sharp enough drop in transparency. Ive tried using instances to get the effect..doable, but alot of particles needed.
I havent tried hypervoxels because those are always too blobby and dont blend right.

I can use a mesh sequence from RF, but then theres no motion blur on it.

omichon

I can use a mesh sequence from RF, but then theres no motion blur on it.

I haven't play with the granular solver myself yet, but it is weird that there is no motion blur when meshing it since there is motion blur when meshing fluids 8~

lwanmtr

Lwanmtr
kinda make sense since its a new object each frame. with different vertex counts each time, so LW has no reference for motion

omichon

kinda make sense since its a new object each frame. with different vertex counts each time, so LW has no reference for motion

Same as with fluids. Take a closer look at the objects, there must be a morph that was created from the particle velocity info.

lwanmtr

Lwanmtr
Ok, I'll take a look at that. I havent used Rf sinve v4 and I've forgotten much of what I knew about it...other than it was unusable on my systems then. But now doing a million particles is a breeze, between then cpu and cuda solving.

inakito

Can this plugin be used to bring particles from Houdini inside Lightwave too? Do I need to have a RF license of do they sell it separately? Thanks :)

Sensei

TrueArt Support
Can this plugin be used to bring particles from Houdini inside Lightwave too?

According to this, Houdini has some CSV export node:
https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/nodes/top/csvoutput.html
Try using it to export Houdini particles, one row, one particle.
(alternatively write script which will iterate through the all particles, and write one row for each particle)

You can import any data in CSV file format using TrueArt's Node Library
http://nodelibrary.trueart.eu

In this video tutorial I showed how to import CSV data in LightWave:
(item clone index was used as row in CSV file, therefor clones of object received different colors read from CSV file, edited in text editor)

Last edited:

Sensei

TrueArt Support
In this video I showed how to load statistical data to LightWave:

Generally, if 3rd party application can export CSV file, or you can write script generating CSV file, you will be able to load such generated data back to LightWave using TrueArt's Node Library.

Top Bottom