USB Webcam Not Working in Scan Converter – and VLC Plugin Not Working (Windows 11)

Win 11 Pro for all our computers that have the issue (the others are on Win 10 Pro and work well).
All our PCs are up to date (optional updates included)
Cheers , i hope you'll find !

ScottHeitshusen

I'm eager to have it resolved too (I'm a bit OCD about stuff like this). :(

While QA hasn't been able to repro the issue, I've got another member of the UX team who can. I had the two principal developers in my office this morning looking at the symptoms, and when we last spoke (about two hours ago) they had not yet been able to diagnose what appears to be a permissions issue on some - but not all - Windows 11 hosts.

Something I'd be interested in seeing is a screengrab of your Windows 11 "Settings > Privacy and security > Camera" panel showing the entries listed below the "Let desktop apps access your camera" switch.

View attachment 152689

ScottHeitshusen

Here ya go!

Screenshot 2022-05-11 142136.png

ScottHeitshusen

I can provide a little update:

I have managed to capture the attention of some very smart people (I just sharpen their pencils most days), and there is a concerted effort underway to get to the bottom of this problem. It's complicated, but we have eliminated a lot of things, and just now we found (we think) where the code is failing; the remaining question is why ... so, progress, but not yet a solution .
Forward progress! Thank you!!

ScottHeitshusen

As one more data point:

Could those who are seeing this issue (specifically, that - in Windows 11 - when you select a webcam as the source for Screen Capture, it does not result in a corresponding NDI output) tell me whether you are running the Home or Pro versions of Win 11? (To check, you can enter the command "winver" into the Window search bar.)

Thanks in advance!
Win 11 Pro.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-05-12 110111.png
    Screenshot 2022-05-12 110111.png
    51.4 KB · Views: 21

ScottHeitshusen

By the way, I don't know if this will help in diagnosis, but I thought I'd try to get around this by using "NewTek Connect" instead and selecting the USB (BlackMagic Design) webcam there.
It doesn't show up on that list at all. Only the local webcam and OBS Virtual Cam.
I don't know if there is some shared codebase that would help narrow things down, but thought I'd share it in case it helps.

SBowie

'the write stuff'
I've got two webcams that fail, but both show up in and work with Connect Pro. There may be some additional aspect with the BMD camera, to be determined.

kanep

NewTek SE
Complete guess, but could it be a DirectShow versus Media Foundation webcam compatibility aspect?

SBowie

'the write stuff'
After spending much of yesterday (well into the evening) and part of this morning on it, I'm happy to report that the aforementioned smart people seem to have successfully resolved this problem.

It's not clear yet whether (after more testing) the fix will result in a patch for the current release, or await the next major version (which is not terribly far off); but at least it's real progress,

p.s., not sure this will solve the ATEM issue, but if it presents itself to the system as a typical webcam, I'd expect it to.

Last edited:
After spending much of yesterday (well into the evening) and part of this morning on it, I'm happy to report that the aforementioned smart people seem to have successfully resolved this problem.

It's not clear yet whether (after more testing) the fix will result in a patch for the current release, or await the next major version (which is not terribly far off); but at least it's real progress,

p.s., not sure this will solve the ATEM issue, but if it presents itself to the system as a typical webcam, I'd expect it to.
Yeay well done! Could you please keep us in touch for the release date ?

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Release as an update to NDI 5 Tools should not be very far off, but if one or two of you would like to test the fix, I can arrange for that; just send me a private message here with your email address and I'll hook you up.

Same here: 14 webcams (some virtual) / Windows 11 available (NDI + Windows both in the latest official release) - no NDI output. Not using NDI for my daily work, so I could test some beta drivers or share some system information if that helps...

MartinRJ

Hello. I just wanted to chime in and say I also have the problem in Win 11 Pro. :) I am not using it in any professional capacity yet. We are tying to build a YT studio across the Atlantic and are really getting hooked on using NDI, it is solving so many issues for us now that we can share video sources and record directly into OBS.

I use Screen Capture with Elgato Camlink 4K and it shows up in the setting and I can select it, but it does not show up as NDI source, neither does other camera sources if I select them, such as eTronVideo(Valve Index stereo/3d cameras). The NDI software does not show up under camera privacy settings in Windows. OBS, Skype and others have requested access to the camera.

I have repurposed my old gaming motherboard as a NDI bridge computer and have added another camlinkto that so I can get my main camera across the Atlantic for now. Just splitting my HDMI output with a cheap 15 dollar splitter into the camlink on my main pc(GAME-PC) and one my bridge pc(TOOLPC) that runs the NDI bridge. I am trying to get the most of the resources I have. :D
( I see the screen capture finds the IP adresses from my vmware workstation adaptors rather than the ip address on 192.168.1.x, but that doesn't seem to be an issue as other devices on 192.168.1.x can find the ressources)

Searching for NDI sources ... (6 found)
1: name="GAME-PC (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 1)"
host="172.19.32.1"
port="5961"
type="NDI"
2: name="GAME-PC (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 2)"
host="172.19.32.1"
port="5962"
type="NDI"
3: name="GAME-PC (Remote Connection 1)"
host=""
type="NDI"
4: name="TOOLPC (Cam Link 4K)"
host="192.168.1.155"
port="5962"
type="NDI"
5: name="TOOLPC (Intel HD Graphics 630 1)"
host="192.168.1.155"
port="5961"
type="NDI"
6: name="Martins iPhone (NDI HX Camera)"
host="192.168.1.181"
port="5961"
type="NDI"

I also had another strange issue where the remote screen capture sucessfully sent the camera video and audio though my NDI bridge / computer and onto my main computer, were it was visible and audible in the studio monitor program. but OBS didn't get the audio. will need to tinker a bit further with that one.

Anyway, tons of fun playing with this software. thumbs up.

SBowie

'the write stuff'
I just checked with QA, and it turns out the release was held back briefly to address an unrelated issue at the same time. A the moment, it's greenlit for release, but there are a lot of absentees today due to the Monday holiday here ... so maybe Tuesday (though I don't want to invoke Murphy's Law).

Top Bottom