USB Webcam Not Working in Scan Converter – and VLC Plugin Not Working (Windows 11)

ScottHeitshusen

Good morning!

PREVIOUS: NDI Tools v4 and v5 worked for these under Windows 10.​
CURRENT: I can’t get these to work with NDI v4 or v5 under Windows 11.​

Here’s the scenario:

We have an ATEM Mini connected to a Windows 11 machine via USB with NDI Tools v5 installed.

Under previous scenarios I selected the Blackmagic Design webcam (i.e., “ATEM Mini”) as the webcam source for Scan Converter and this showed up as an NDI source.

Under Windows 11, I can select the webcam as a source and have the “webcam video” and “audio” sources selected, but there is no feed that shows up for NDI; just the screen source. The “integrated webcam” will, but not the USB webcam.

I thought I could get around this by using VLC and “playing” the webcam to NDI. However, the VLC plug-in does not show up with v5 tools and VLC installed. (I have reinstalled both NDI Tools as well as VLC, to no avail.

It seems there are some issues with NDI Tools v5 under Windows 11.

This is keeping us from streaming our worship feed in-house. (It is, by far, the simplest possibility for our situation, and we can’t afford running multiple other cables right now.)

Thoughts? Solutions?

Are there updates coming to NDI Tools v5 that will fix this?

Thank you!

ScottHeitshusen

Have you tested disabling the firewall or antivirus (Windows Defender)?
I have not.
Would that have bearing that lets the screen be shared as an NDI source and not USB webcam? Was the firewall/Defender changed in that way between Windows 10 & 11? Weird.
Thanks; I'll test that and see if that helps!

Yes, that might be affecting you. I have tested NDI 5 Tools with Windows 11 and it works fine. Please post the results here so we can benefit more people that might find the same issue.

ScottHeitshusen

Yes, that might be affecting you. I have tested NDI 5 Tools with Windows 11 and it works fine. Please post the results here so we can benefit more people that might find the same issue.
Thanks! I won't have a chance to check this out an report back until next week as I am out of town right now, but I will report back.
Many thanks!

ScottHeitshusen

Ok, so turning off Defender Firewall did nothing to resolve this.
The screen still shows up, but not the webcam (and 'yes,' "Webcam" is checked).
Other ideas?

Hi , We experience the same issue with the integrated webcams of our computers (Asus pro expert and Dell XPS) since we migrated to windows 11 (i've tested it just before the update on windows 10 and it was working perfectly).

The webcams are detected by NDI ScreenCapture and you can select them, but they dont appear on the list in the NDI Studio Monitor (only the desktop).

More details : Usely when you select a webcam in the NDI ScreenCapture menu , if you come back in this same menu, the resolutions and the "autodetect" choices appear. Since windows 11, it is not the case. Maybe NDI ScreenCapture is able to detect the webcams but not to "speak" with them.

Of course , i've tried to change the drivers (update and downdate), uninstalled reinstalled the webcam, tried generic UVC HD drivers , checked the privacy settings for the camera, checked the firewall settings, install the last NDI tools... It Didn't work :'(

SBowie

'the write stuff'
I took a look at this, although I'm running unreleased software, and encountered a situation where NDI Screen Capture, when assigned to output a local webcam as NDI, failed to list the webcam source along with gfx card outputs as seen on external NDI receivers. I think this is generally the same thing discussed above.

QA was kind enough to interrupt their work this morning to test using the release build of Tools, but could not replicate this failure in either Win 10 or Win 11. I'll try to investigate further, but atm I'm stumped. :(

What about plug in a regular USB webcam? That way we can discard the ATEM input. I would do this, to check if it is an ATEM issue, if it does not work, then I would replace that computer with another one with Screen Capture and Windows 10 and confirm if it is a Windows 11 vs. webcam input issue. Then I would try with a different Windows 11 computer.

One another option, install OBS and capture the webcam and then output NDI. This is free and you can test easily as an option.

So, at the end, if this is only to capture the ATEM input and probably run ATEM Software Control, you don't need something too powerful an oldie Windows 10 will do.

Last edited:
What about plug in a regular USB webcam? That way we can discard the ATEM input. I would do this, to check if it is an ATEM issue, if it does not work, then I would replace that computer with another one with Screen Capture and Windows 10 and confirm if it is a Windows 11 vs. webcam input issue. Then I would try with a different Windows 11 computer.

One another option, install OBS and capture the webcam and then output NDI. This is free and you can test easily as an option.

So, at the end, if this is only to capture the ATEM input and probably run ATEM Software Control, you don't need something too powerful an oldie Windows 10 will do.
Already done the regular usb Webcam test and it's the same issue.

Thanks for the advices but i would just want the screencapture to work like it should and used to and i think it's the same for Scott :)

Moreover maybe we are not isolated cases and lot of people experience the same problem on win11.

Is there any way to contact the ndi support and expose this issue ?

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Is there any way to contact the ndi support and expose this issue ?
Again, I did have QA run tests last week, but they were unable to reproduce this issue (in either Windows 10 or Windows 11).

That's why I'm monitoring this thread closely, to see if the collective experience of the forum can provide a clue as to why some are having this issue while others are not.

ScottHeitshusen

Again, I did have QA run tests last week, but they were unable to reproduce this issue (in either Windows 10 or Windows 11).

That's why I'm monitoring this thread closely, to see if the collective experience of the forum can provide a clue as to why some are having this issue while others are not.
What do y'all need to help you diagnose/replicate this?
Are there logs (NDI, Windows, etc.) that we can provide to help? Information about the system?
How can we help you so this can be resolved?
Thanks!

SBowie

'the write stuff'
I'm eager to have it resolved too (I'm a bit OCD about stuff like this). :(

While QA hasn't been able to repro the issue, I've got another member of the UX team who can. I had the two principal developers in my office this morning looking at the symptoms, and when we last spoke (about two hours ago) they had not yet been able to diagnose what appears to be a permissions issue on some - but not all - Windows 11 hosts.

Something I'd be interested in seeing is a screengrab of your Windows 11 "Settings > Privacy and security > Camera" panel showing the entries listed below the "Let desktop apps access your camera" switch.

1652210721271.png

SBowie

'the write stuff'
I can provide a little update:

I have managed to capture the attention of some very smart people (I just sharpen their pencils most days), and there is a concerted effort underway to get to the bottom of this problem. It's complicated, but we have eliminated a lot of things, and just now we found (we think) where the code is failing; the remaining question is why ... so, progress, but not yet a solution .

SBowie

'the write stuff'
As one more data point:

Could those who are seeing this issue (specifically, that - in Windows 11 - when you select a webcam as the source for Screen Capture, it does not result in a corresponding NDI output) tell me whether you are running the Home or Pro versions of Win 11? (To check, you can enter the command "winver" into the Window search bar.)

Thanks in advance!

Top Bottom