Unusually cold in texas?

prometheus

OFF TOPIC
just watched the news and it seems texas finally got a little snow and s fresh cold air breeze?

but I guess the good fun with that is eclipsed by power outage and some deaths because of it.

Guess houses arent built for that kind of weather?
so whats the temp in celsius now?

Sensei

TrueArt Support
On desert temperature at night can easily go below 0 C

prometheus

OFF TOPIC
On desert temperature at night can easily go below 0 C
Which desert? Texas?

Over here in stockholm the latest days has been around -10-12 celsius day as well as night, this is quite normal over here at this time.
upcoming days may be a shift to a couple of plus degrees though, it´s often like that with drastic change quite a lot..not long ago up north here, I think it was a drop of 34 degrees within a couple of hours.

Kryslin

Looks like it's 33F/1C with a winter weather advisory for central Texas right now.

We won't get that until Saturday; we've been sitting at -27C for the last 3 days - its the usual February cold snap around here.

Part of the problem is the extensive use of electricity for home heating, which is probably one of the least efficient ways to heat a home. Everyone gets cold, and electric usage skyrockets. Record demand coupled with generating equipment that wasn't ready for the cold conditions (I'd read that generating stations had frozen because of the cold), and you have... A Problem.

RPSchmidt

Most of my immediate family lives in the San Angelo in west Texas and most of them are currently having power outages. They've had some pretty heavy snow for the past three-four days, which is very unusual. The whole time I lived there before moving up north, it only snowed one time, maybe two inches, and it melted the same day.

On average in the winter in San Angelo, the temperature is usually around 55-60F. About 50% of the power in Texas comes from natural gas / gas, but the power plants aren't winterized... they are used to extreme heat, not cold. This lengthy and unusual cold is causing a lot of natural gas / gas power plants to shut down, both from demand which is causing pipes to depressurize and damage to pipes and equipment. The power plants aren't used to this kind of demand in the winter, they usually only see it in the summer.

prometheus

OFF TOPIC
Most of my immediate family lives in the San Angelo in west Texas and most of them are currently having power outages. They've had some pretty heavy snow for the past three-four days, which is very unusual. The whole time I lived there before moving up north, it only snowed one time, maybe two inches, and it melted the same day.

On average in the winter in San Angelo, the temperature is usually around 55-60F. About 50% of the power in Texas comes from natural gas / gas, but the power plants aren't winterized... they are used to extreme heat, not cold. This lengthy and unusual cold is causing a lot of natural gas / gas power plants to shut down, both from demand which is causing pipes to depressurize and damage to pipes and equipment. The power plants aren't used to this kind of demand in the winter, they usually only see it in the summer.

Most be horrible with power outage when you live in areas not used to it, or built for it.
Open stove? how many has that, and access to wood et?

Over here I think most houses, at least rental is built quite isolated, so even it it goes down during a couple of days you can survive it without being too cold, with some extra blankets and sweaters, socks, the food is just a matter of putting out on the balcony and it takes care of itself.
I don´t have an open stove myself sadly, my sister has so they can just throw in a lot of wood and they have stored up that.

My brother actually invested in a fuel driven generator this month and has just tested it, so he can drive infraheat and much more with it.
the fuel only last so long, maybe a day or so, then he would need to buy more, it is not allowed to store fuel in such huge quantaties, but he could let it run
if absolutely neede for a few hours, then shut down and repeat.

I thought hat the mid temp over here at stockholm was around -6 ,-10 Celsius usually, with peaks at 12-16 often, that is what I mostly experience I think, but looking at weather data records, it seems the mid temp is -1 during the day, and - 5 celsius during night, but perhaps it is just that..I am a night person mostly and my hours of recognizing such temps are focused on that.

Buy or steal a lot of cats and lure them with snacks and let them cover you as a warm blanket at night, the nice purring comes as a bonus.

Bill Carey

there is no sanctuary....
Looks like it's 33F/1C with a winter weather advisory for central Texas right now.

We won't get that until Saturday; we've been sitting at -27C for the last 3 days - its the usual February cold snap around here.

Part of the problem is the extensive use of electricity for home heating, which is probably one of the least efficient ways to heat a home. Everyone gets cold, and electric usage skyrockets. Record demand coupled with generating equipment that wasn't ready for the cold conditions (I'd read that generating stations had frozen because of the cold), and you have... A Problem.
They keep talking about mandating electric heat, bad ideas come from being ruled by southern Californians. Here in Michigan solar panels are next to useless and it'll be a while before we see 0C again. Hope it warms up down there, must be quite a shock.

Kryslin

Slowly coming up over -15C/7F now. Next week this time, we'll be back to our average temps. about 5C/40F.

Solar is kind of useless here in Iowa as well. Wind, on the other hand... I live in the middle of the US's second largest wind farm. All that electricity, ironically, is headed south and east.

Our heat is propane, and our furnace (house) and heater (shop) are all very efficient. We may pay for it during the winter, but during the summer, we hardly use any gas.

adrian

Audere-Est-Facere
We had some nice seasonal winter weather in the UK last week, 6 days of lying snow where I live although it was only a dusting but 5 ice days as well. It made my morning Wim Hof style cold showers truly icy! Back to our normal dross now though :-( Have relatives in Katy, Texas who are shivering at the moment but they have power back now thankfully.

prometheus

OFF TOPIC
Slowly coming up over -15C/7F now. Next week this time, we'll be back to our average temps. about 5C/40F.

Solar is kind of useless here in Iowa as well. Wind, on the other hand... I live in the middle of the US's second largest wind farm. All that electricity, ironically, is headed south and east.

Our heat is propane, and our furnace (house) and heater (shop) are all very efficient. We may pay for it during the winter, but during the summer, we hardly use any gas.

Imagine that, Texas in February being colder than Stockholm in Sweden today.
We got -2 celsius right now, which is kind of mild right now, but it has been turning now..otherwise it´s been around -10-12 celsius the latest week.
Next week it will be even warmer and very warm for the season, a prognose of maybe 6 + celsius on next thursday the 25, that is insanely warm for the coldest month.

Sometimes the world turns upside down when it feels like doing so 🌞

I wonder about the houses though and isolation, what would the temp be inside a Typical texas house if the temp is -13 on the outside VS a Typical Swedish house at the same outside temp?

Sensei

TrueArt Support
We had some nice seasonal winter weather in the UK last week, 6 days of lying snow where I live although it was only a dusting but 5 ice days as well. It made my morning Wim Hof style cold showers truly icy! Back to our normal dross now though :-(
Get used to cold winters in UK and Ireland.. Global Warming will cause disappearance of the North Atlantic Current
which will cool down British Islands..

prometheus

OFF TOPIC
Unusually warm in Stockholm..
Well..just some days ago -10-12 degree celsius, on this sunday we expect around 8 + celsius, so a jump of almost 20 degrees within one and a half week.

Generally from how I perceive it, though memory can be sort of false depending on how it actually was when I was younger..but
Generally it feels like the winter seasons over the years has become milder, with some few exceptions.

Soon reaching March, it´s sport´s holidays for the youngsters in school and in the end of march usually the cold front start to change to the warmer.. and the snow melt starts, so
I am looking forward to that now..just be patient for 40 days before spring kicks in, usually before I was not so happy due to the pollen allergy ,but I have lernt how to deal with that much better now.

adrian

Audere-Est-Facere
The weather is all over the place. We're expecting temperatures of around 13-17C for the next week.

prometheus

OFF TOPIC
In such situation there is risk of flooding..
not much of a risc in stockholm
even though we have had quit a bit of snow..never had hat problem..mostly thanks to good draining system.
could be worse in other places in sweden though..absolutely.

sweden has a lot of rain often..so

TJ Graphics

Maybe now with thing getting better in Texas, maybe the people at LW will start responding to there emails and tech support submissions. Though I doubt it.

Top Bottom