UDK and FBX

clintonman

I haven't looked at Lightwaves FBX export for use in the UDK engine in a while and it's very much improved since then. Before you had to use Layout to get a reliable export. Now Modelers export works properly. Before you had to assign UV maps to surfaces to get them out of Lightwave. Now you just create the UV and it exports. Useful normals now export from both Layout and Modeler. The only lack when used with UDK is that Lightwave exports 2012 FBX files and no smoothing groups. UDK wants FBX 2013 and smoothing groups.

I updated the FBX smoothing group converter to output FBX 2013 files.
http://www.clintons3d.com/vr/udk_fbx_smoothing.html

Converted the UT3 Characters to LW scene files with some general notes.
http://www.clintons3d.com/vr/ut3_characters_for _Lightwave.html

waritach

The smoothing group is added to the fbx, however the models are still not smooth when you import them into UDK. Would you be able to fix this issue?

Thanks for you wonderful work though. :)

clintonman

The smoothing group is added to the fbx, however the models are still not smooth when you import them into UDK. Would you be able to fix this issue?

Thanks for you wonderful work though. :)
It's smooth for me. Which version of Lightwave are you using and do you have a model that you can share?

mummyman

Medical Animator
It's smooth for me. Which version of Lightwave are you using and do you have a model that you can share?

Do you have some examples or side by side comparisons of the models in each program? Just wondering what kind of detail level can be pushed in these programs, if it's used for games or not.

Dwarf King

I am having the same issue here. I use the FBX smoothing group converter to output FBX 2013 files and then import them into Unreal 4. I am free of the nasty "no smoothing group warning" but the model is still all faceted and ugly to behold...

Any suggestions?

Dwarf King

Found a solution.

• Open the scene or import the fbx file in Layout
  • open the Scene editor
  • click on the object you wish to make smooth
  • click on modeler in right top corner or F12
  • click on a polygon while you are in polygon modeler
  • click detail in the top of the screen
  • click Mesh Repair in the left side of the screen

Now you have a smooth model.

You then import the model in Unreal 4 and you will get a warning about missing smoothing groups. Ignore them.

If that does not work then try use the Utility linked to in the start of the tread.

Damn I love Lightwave 3D!!!! Damn useful for rigging models and changing the looks and appearance as one like and then use them in Unreal 4 :)

Top Bottom