Troubleshooting Zoom and NDI

arothermel44

Hello! I work in public education and we currently have a TC2. I am looking to start a conversation to see what others are doing in situations like this. Our main needs are Zoom, a Live production and an open dialogue between in-person and Zoom.

Pre-COVID we were live streaming our Board Meetings, with public comment in-person only. July 2020 we integrated Zoom and have been utilizing NDI Virtual Input and "Live on YouTube" through the Zoom platform. Community members have the option to comment in-person or on Zoom.

We have a table setup with two speakers in the board room and a laptop which displays Zoom on our AV system and sends the audio from the public comments into the board room so that they can hear the public comments on Zoom. Everything has been working so well, and NDI has been a life saver for us to keep our productions at the high quality standard they always have been.

The issue I am having is that we are transitioning back to "normal" and would like to show more videos and presentations again. Zoom is not going away and we have done some using the share screen feature in Zoom, but it is hit or miss. Videos play sometimes, sometimes they don't. I would love to be able to play the videos from the TC2, but then the Board Members and community in-person would not be able to hear the video presentation, only the Zoom participants. In a perfect world, I would love to be able to host the zoom meeting from my studio, and be able to communicate with the board room so that I can allow participants on Zoom to speak, and they hear them along with videos.

Thanks everyone!

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
Zoom is not going away and we have done some using the share screen feature in Zoom, but it is hit or miss. Videos play sometimes, sometimes they don't.
Are you referring to sharing the screen using Zoom's native Share>Advanced>Video feature? (I can see where that might be a little awkward.)
I would love to be able to play the videos from the TC2, but then the Board Members and community in-person would not be able to hear the video presentation, only the Zoom participants
Can you expand a bit on why you would not be able to provide audio and sound from the DDR to others apart from the Zoom audience?

Stream

I's use NDI Tools with studio Monitor and send the program output to a laptop and then to the monitors.
We do Zoom all of the time and never use Screen Share. We use NDI to take everything into the Tricaster as a source.

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
There is one tricky bit I've found using TriCaster to send sound to Zoom through Webcam Input. Depending on your layout, you may want to run Studio Monitor on the laptop, to see/hear TC's program output. That's fine - unless your Studio Monitor instance is also sending audio from TC to the same (laptop) audio output device Zoom is using.

When Zoom and Studio Monitor share an audio output device, Zoom suppresses TC's audio output on Zoom's audio input device. I discovered this when trying to use Studio Monitor on a laptop to monitor DDR clips. Whenever I did that, the remote Zoom audience lost the audio. I think this is Zoom's echo cancellation at work. Exiting Studio Monitor or assigning it to a different audio output device solved the problem.

arothermel44

I's use NDI Tools with studio Monitor and send the program output to a laptop and then to the monitors.
We do Zoom all of the time and never use Screen Share. We use NDI to take everything into the Tricaster as a source.
I like this approach. It is similar to what we do, but we use Webcam Input as the Zoom source and monitors for in-house. If we have a second computer to use "studio monitor", wouldn't that create feedback through the monitors?

There is one tricky bit I've found using TriCaster to send sound to Zoom through Webcam Input. Depending on your layout, you may want to run Studio Monitor on the laptop, to see/hear TC's program output. That's fine - unless your Studio Monitor instance is also sending audio from TC to the same (laptop) audio output device Zoom is using.

When Zoom and Studio Monitor share an audio output device, Zoom suppresses TC's audio output on Zoom's audio input device. I discovered this when trying to use Studio Monitor on a laptop to monitor DDR clips. Whenever I did that, the remote Zoom audience lost the audio. I think this is Zoom's echo cancellation at work. Exiting Studio Monitor or assigning it to a different audio output device solved the problem.
This looks like it might be my answer to my previous question. I will test this as well. Our next meeting is Monday, December 9 and I will test using Studio Monitor. My concern with using Studio Monitor is that the board members would not be able to see the Zoom participants calling in on the projector, unless the computer operator switches between Zoom and Studio Monitor.

flabbyVS

Hey, we work with Zoom all the time with our TC2. We push out our PGM or any mix into Zoom via webcam input. Sending video are of no issue, you just want to check your settings. Quick things to note:

In Webcam input:
- Video: 1080p30 or 720p30
- Audio: Auto
- Select your source on your TC2 (I usually send Out 1 or a Mix Feed)

In Zoom:
- Audio Settings: Uncheck auto microphone audio adjustment, enable original sound with high fidelity music checked
- Video Settings: I usually enable HD.
(One important thing to note, as I often need to stream out 1080p30 for webinars and meetings, I contact zoom for the 1080p function to be enabled. This is critical)

**You will also need to note on your network settings. Network bandwidth has to be decent to get a stable feed across.

If you are looking to push out feed onto a monitor screen, I would just push out a Zoom Gallery view via the laptop onto the projector directly, in that way the board members will be able to view the folks on zoom. Audio can come from the zoom room, as you are taking the audio from this laptop and you will not have that feedback loop.

Hope this helps

Stream

I like this approach. It is similar to what we do, but we use Webcam Input as the Zoom source and monitors for in-house. If we have a second computer to use "studio monitor", wouldn't that create feedback through the monitors?
The audio on Studio Monitor will only play om the monitor/system that Studio Monitor is open on.

Top Bottom