Troubleshooting a software freeze during a live show

middleton

I'm using a TC1 to live stream a 45-minute show, although the streaming is handled externally and all they do is take my output. Everything was going great until about 3/4 of the way through the show, when I put a clip from DDR to progam and then went to change a still image in an on-set monitor--at that point the software completely froze (there may have been an hourglass next to the mouse pointer?), and I couldn't click on anything (I was also completely locked out of the TC1SP panel). The clip in the DDR kept playing, thankfully, and about 30 seconds later the system recovered and was more or less functioning properly. Except when I recalled a name key macro at the end of the show, it instead pulled a different full-frame image from GFX2 instead of the assigned name key.

Prior to the system freeze, over the span of 30 minutes I had cut a 2x1 panel discussion with b-roll, a 1x1 interview, and played back maybe 7 clips from DDR1, about 5 from DDR2, and was also sub-cutting images in the on-set monitor (plus a couple of host camera changes). I also use about 6-10 macros for name keys, banners, and other graphic overlays. I had noticed the system was acting up before the show when it came to some autoplay functions, so I rebooted about a half hour before showtime.

I'm new to TC1 and I'm wondering if I was pushing its limits a bit, or if there are some other tips and tricks that will help ensure I don't run into this issue again.

Thanks for any help!

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
Over time, I'd say that something like this can often be traced back to some less than ideal media file format being played in a DDR. Was the item you were playing 'imported', or a foreign file format?

middleton

All of the DDR clips are imported off a network drive then transcoded locally, and I make sure to watch them beforehand. Oddly enough I have not seen this issue again, so fingers crossed it was a one-time thing.

Mr How

I'm using a TC1 to live stream a 45-minute show, although the streaming is handled externally and all they do is take my output. Everything was going great until about 3/4 of the way through the show, when I put a clip from DDR to progam and then went to change a still image in an on-set monitor--at that point the software completely froze (there may have been an hourglass next to the mouse pointer?), and I couldn't click on anything (I was also completely locked out of the TC1SP panel). The clip in the DDR kept playing, thankfully, and about 30 seconds later the system recovered and was more or less functioning properly. Except when I recalled a name key macro at the end of the show, it instead pulled a different full-frame image from GFX2 instead of the assigned name key.

Prior to the system freeze, over the span of 30 minutes I had cut a 2x1 panel discussion with b-roll, a 1x1 interview, and played back maybe 7 clips from DDR1, about 5 from DDR2, and was also sub-cutting images in the on-set monitor (plus a couple of host camera changes). I also use about 6-10 macros for name keys, banners, and other graphic overlays. I had noticed the system was acting up before the show when it came to some autoplay functions, so I rebooted about a half hour before showtime.

I'm new to TC1 and I'm wondering if I was pushing its limits a bit, or if there are some other tips and tricks that will help ensure I don't run into this issue again.

Thanks for any help!
I had something similar happen once when a MIX record was accidently set to a shared network drive.

middleton

I just realized that any graphics imported into a GFX bin remain on the server--there are no local copies made upon import. So that tells me there must have a been a bit of a network blip when I tried to access the 2nd still image, which caused the system to freeze up. I just realized I could import stills using File/Import, which makes local copies! That should resolve this issue.

Last edited:

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
Transcoding an external clip (from a shared drive) in the DDR results in a local copy of the trasncoded file. But simply adding a clip or still to a media player does not import it (while, not too surprisingly, Import does). Hope that helps a bit ...

Top Bottom