Toaster 4000 repairs?

Kevin Brice

VT[2] Aficionado
Not sure how many people still hang out here, but does anybody know of someone who might still repair Amiga Toaster cards? I've got two that are having some issues:

Card 1​

• No signal on Preview Out. I tried the analog board from Card 2, but it didn't make a difference. The solder joints for the BNC connector look fine to my eye.
  • A bunch of effects (maybe just AGA ones?) are blown out and have a lot of pink in them. When they show up on my RGB monitor, they look fine. The red background generator looks a bit too pinkish to me, but I'm less sure about that one. I've run AutoHue a few times with nothing except a camera connected with no change. Pictures attached.

Card 2​

• Main board has a blown capacitor I haven't replaced yet, so I don't know its state otherwise
  • Some of the BNC connectors have broken solder joints that I still need to fix.
  • Memory board causes picture jitter and serious color shift for any kind of output when tested in Card 1. Again, AutoHue makes no difference.
If it's just a configuration error on my part with Card 1, do let me know. Otherwise I'd love to get these looked at by someone who has a better idea of what they're doing. :) Thanks!

Kevin Brice

VT[2] Aficionado
For anyone who stumbles upon this later, I've got both cards fixed.
  • Card 1 had nothing wrong. I was using the Flyer BNC board without the ribbon cable connected to the Flyer, which disables the Preview output.
  • Card 2 also had a nonfunctional 12v trace, perhaps from the capacitor exploding. I added a bodge wire after replacing the capacitor, and it works fine now. Not sure what was up with the RAM board before, but no trouble with that anymore either.
  • The pink graphics are because of a voltage problem with the Amiga's DAC causing the RGB signal voltages to be too high. I haven't completely diagnosed it yet, but it also affects the DB23 connector. I didn't realize the DB23 connector was also bad because somehow the A520 composite adapter I was using compensates for the overly high signal voltages to show a perfect picture.
Apparently forgot to attach a picture earlier, so I'll attach it here.

Attachments

• Toaster4000-002.png
    Toaster4000-002.png
    358.3 KB · Views: 10
Top Bottom