TMPEG 2.0 or higher?

logic28

MAZMO
Hi Guys,

I remember reading somewhere not to use MPEG 2.5 but to use version 2.0 instead.

As the TMpeg site doesn't appear to be very explicative as to which product covers what I wonder if any of you have direct knowledge.

For example, does DVD Author 3 also cover the contents of Editor 2?

And the same question applies to TMpeg 4.0 XPress?

If they don't, which is the best buy for very High Quality DVD encoding?

Sorry guys, I know this might bore you, but before I buy, I thought it's best to ask. :help:

Thanks,

Maz

Jim_C

We've got it simple.
If you use a 2.x version. Use the 2.5.

2.5, 3 and 4 all use the same encoding engine so your quality will remain the same.

Version 2.0 accepts the .vtp plugin from VT-Edit , version 3 and 4 don't. (Althought I think someone kinda got it to work in 3.0 with a little hoop jumping).

They all accept the avi wrapper with about the same amount of success. Which isn't always that much.

Version 3 and 4 you gain the ability to convert to other formats. avi, quicktime, divx, wmv. And an easier to use and control batch process.

Version 3 and 4 do ac3 encoding. With version 2.5 you would have to have your authoring program(or other) do it.

Version 3 and 4 support the input of other formats, wmv, mov etc. Not sure if 2.5 does.

Basically 3.0 + turned into not only a great mpeg2 encoder but a great all around encoder in general.

One thing I like about 3 is when a client gives me a DVD , I can import the dvd, choose what parts I want to encode, then encode the contents to NT25, SpeedHQ, uncompressed, DV etc for easy editing. I don't have to mess with trying to edit individual .vob files.

logic28

MAZMO
Shaky Picture

Jim_C said:
If you use a 2.x version. Use the 2.5.

2.5, 3 and 4 all use the same encoding engine so your quality will remain the same.

Thanks Jim,

That was helpful however I have tried using v 2.5 trial with both a rendered file and VT project saved as avi which is accepted happily but!...

I can't get the final DVD to work for my life! Let me explain, having used almost any combination of TMpeg settings from the standard DV PAL (as I am currently working in Italy), to the most personalized one even with IP frames only, every single attempt of authoring the m2v file in Ulead DVD Workshop or even in Adobe Encore (where by the way you can verify that no transcoding is occurring) results in a very pronounced shaky picture followed by a portion of good quality to then revert to shaky and so on.

It almost looks like a progressive picture viewed on interlaced but much more emphasized.
Having tried TMpeg v 2.0 in the past, I would have sworn it didn't have this problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your time,

Maz

logic28

MAZMO
Cracked it!! It was just the field order, it didn't like the B field first.

Strange, I am sure the standard interlace specifies B field first.

Only worry now is, will it work on any DVD player?

wvp

Toaster Oven
Jim_C said:
Version 3 and 4 do ac3 encoding. With version 2.5 you would have to have your authoring program(or other) do it.

Side note: you can purchase from Pegasys the ac3 plugin and it will come with a little media player (make shortcut on your desktop to it). You can then encode to ac3 using this player.

logic28 said:
Cracked it!! It was just the field order, it didn't like the B field first.

Strange, I am sure the standard interlace specifies B field first.
Yeah, I was just gonna suggest the field order. Correct field order is determined by how the file was captured (some programs work differently).

Top Bottom