Tile Mixer

Looks Beautiful!

found, just now, a Puddle nodes setup from a certain [.B] app
should be similar in LightWave i'd think.
i don't think there's more (or less) to it...
blendswap.com/blend/19340

blend19340.jpg

peebeearr

Looks Beautiful!

found, just now, a Puddle nodes setup from a certain [.B] app
should be similar in LightWave i'd think.
i don't think there's more (or less) to it...
blendswap.com/blend/19340

View attachment 150866
This looks like it would only work on very flat surfaces. I don't think it would work on actual displaced geometry.

This was my take on integrating a bit of water in one node setup (basically this is an integration of 3 materials all responding to each other). Just 2 objects (the sphere and the plane) displaced by 1 big material.
Multi-texture-puddle.jpg

Note the cohesion of the water... that's because of the low poly count. Could be a desired effect though but for water I would definitely stick to a separate object.
This technique could be very useful though. In principle you could add as many materials as you want in a single node setup.

peebeearr

just a visual trick i think, pure reflection, is my guess, no transparency
demo > water level node puddles

Correct, it is a visual trick... but a really good one at that!

You could indeed flatten the parts where water should be and make that highly glossy. That way it looks like water. However, you would not get any refraction apart from physically flattening the bits that contain water. It is a very good hack though as stuff seen through water actually looks flattened because of the refraction. Would render very fast as you're not actually rendering refraction rays :)

peebeearr

Here is a sample of that technique in Lightwave.
It works well I think. Sorry for the bad quality, I'm on a very limited system at the moment.
Algea-water-multi-texture.jpg

So no transparency at all, just flattened polys, a copy of the stone material where the glossiness has been cranked up to 100% and I added a bit of green to the 'water'.

Here are my water tests.

Wasser_010.jpg

As with my sub surface scattering test, I create a "distance" map to control the effect.
To do this, I basicly subtract the ground displacement map from the water displacement map and remap it. I use this "distance" map to darken the texture and color it if desired. This will make deeper areas darker and more colored as if there is more water over them. With the Remap node you can control the murkiness.

It's fun to play with, but of course it always remains a flat texture.

ciao
Thomas

flat and faux, still, that considered, i think it is a Superb trick.

in the "right" situation of course.

Beautiful!  

prometheus

REBORN
Surface thickness can also work nicely sometimes for murky and clear water mixing, if you set up the gradients right.

Proof of Concept: :)
Now I wanted to try out rendering the mixed Color Map, Displacement Map, Roughness Map and Specular Map in Lightwave.
So both materials in one texture set (the same way as substance outputs them).

Combined textures for ground and water:

Wasser_Texture_Maps_002.jpg

Here is a comparison between the original height mix method render and a render using the above textures. I rendered the maps in 2K only. Therefore, the resolution is not as fine as the original Textures:

Wasser_Texture_Maps_003.jpg

ciao
Thomas

prometheus

REBORN
Proof of Concept: :)
Now I wanted to try out rendering the mixed Color Map, Displacement Map, Roughness Map and Specular Map in Lightwave.
So both materials in one texture set (the same way as substance outputs them).

Combined textures for ground and water:

View attachment 150895

Here is a comparison between the original height mix method render and a render using the above textures. I rendered the maps in 2K only. Therefore, the resolution is not as fine as the original Textures:

View attachment 150896

ciao
Thomas

Not sure what it is, if it is the actual method of displacing it, low textures or such.
But I just don´t think it looks good with displacements like shown here, where textures get´s distorted along the height displacements, and some tiling artifacts.
Besides, it doesn´t give justice to the rich detail of cavities and bulges, holes that actually very often is there in ground fauna.

In this case it is some kind of root system, which would be better presented as true flowing geometry rather than displacements.
Is it the sample you got that isn´t (that good) or is it the technique, or is it a lightwave limitation compared to others handling the displacement?

Not sure what it is, if it is the actual method of displacing it, low textures or such.
But I just don´t think it looks good with displacements like shown here, where textures get´s distorted along the height displacements, and some tiling artifacts.
Besides, it doesn´t give justice to the rich detail of cavities and bulges, holes that actually very often is there in ground fauna.

In this case it is some kind of root system, which would be better presented as true flowing geometry rather than displacements.
Is it the sample you got that isn´t (that good) or is it the technique, or is it a lightwave limitation compared to others handling the displacement?

It is not about displacement in my example (strictly speaking, displacement is too strong because I need enough depth for the water). It is about mixing two texture sets depending on the displacement height. It's about the water and seeing the bottom underwater.
However, there is no ground under the water, it is just a texture. It is a test of a method that exists in Substance.

You can see the basic node setup in Post #26!

ciao
Thomas

peebeearr

Hi Thomas,

It is not about displacement in my example (strictly speaking, displacement is too strong because I need enough depth for the water). It is about mixing two texture sets depending on the displacement height. It's about the water and seeing the bottom underwater.
However, there is no ground under the water, it is just a texture. It is a test of a method that exists in Substance.

You can see the basic node setup in Post #26!

ciao
Thomas
Bloody hell, you sure are a node wrangler!! Anyway, You are proving my point more and more --> Lightwave can do a lot that substance does as well. I've been looking up the nodes that are available in substance and I think about 90% of them are also in Lightwave. So in theory it should be possible to re-create quite a few substance materials right inside Lightwave.

Very nice what you did there, keep it coming!

In fact, perhaps it would be better to move this whole discussion to the Nodes section of the forum... Together with that other thread where you did some great node stuff (cant remember the name of that thread exactly).

prometheus

REBORN
Hi Thomas,

Bloody hell, you sure are a node wrangler!! Anyway, You are proving my point more and more --> Lightwave can do a lot that substance does as well. I've been looking up the nodes that are available in substance and I think about 90% of them are also in Lightwave. So in theory it should be possible to re-create quite a few substance materials right inside Lightwave.

Very nice what you did there, keep it coming!

In fact, perhaps it would be better to move this whole discussion to the Nodes section of the forum... Together with that other thread where you did some great node stuff (cant remember the name of that thread exactly).

Normally you could look at Thomas profile to browse through his posts to find it, but he has limited that so I can´t access his profile.
But there is google....
So I used this string in google image search...
site:https://forums.newtek.com thomas leitner

and found some images I recalled was about nodes, and one of those led to this page...nodal input, perhaps the one you are refering too?

peebeearr

Yeah thats the one, thanks.
Normally you could look at Thomas profile to browse through his posts to find it, but he has limited that so I can´t access his profile.
But there is google....
So I used this string in google image search...
site:https://forums.newtek.com thomas leitner

and found some images I recalled was about nodes, and one of those led to this page...nodal input, perhaps the one you are refering too?

Top Bottom