Texture and normal map baker

JML

Cool, thanks Myagi.

By the way, I know how to bake a tengent space normal map, but
do you change it so it's a world space normal map ?

Myagi

A new version is available with a multi-threading bugfix. Also added the ability to bake geometry onto itself without having to make a second copy and select it as BG layer.

mutlithreading set to automatic really locks up machine while baking but is fine when set to 4 threads or 2 threads.

Allthough I'm a bit doubtful this was caused by the bug I found, rather than just being the effect of all CPU resources being used for processing, it might be worth a shot to try with the new version.

Riva

I wanted to try your plugin (looks great from your web) but it crashes my Modeler right on when I try to activate it.

Using LW 8.0, WinXP(latest SP etc), 32bit.
I don't have such problem with any other plugin afaik.

I tryed fresh install of LW, only standard plugins etc - still crashes.
I tryed one of my nextgen objects, some simple test object (box) and empty layers - same crashes.

Google didnt give me anything about this issue so its probably not common ?
Anything I can do with it ?

Thanks

Myagi

I haven't had anyone report that problem. However I'm not sure if it has been tried on 8.0. Do you have any possibility to install the 8.3 update and see if that works better?

Riva

- Working on updating. to 8.5 if its not a problem. (Find those old reg numers is not easy):
I'll let you know.

- May be a good idea to remove the info on your page that the plugin is compatible with LW 8, if it wasnt tested and possibly doesnt work with it (?)

Myagi

Oh sorry, forgot that there was a 8.5 even.

It's supposed to work with LW8 as in 8.x, but not necessarily with 8.0. The plugin was initially developed on LW8, probably 8.3 and/or 8.5, but there is a chance that I accidently broke 8 support in recent updates. If that's the case I'll try to fix that.

Should it turn out to work fine in 8.5 but not 8.0 I'll of course add a note about it.

Philbert

Sub-Dude
I just discovered this, it looks very cool. The problem I see is that Modeler can't handle high numbers of polys, not as high as Layout at least.

Myagi

It's mainly intended for baking objects rather than scenes, and any object that would be loaded into layout would be created in modeler first anyway :) It can work nicely with multiple layers, so that can ease it up a little. Was there any particular type of "situation" you had mind?

Philbert

Sub-Dude
Yes I'm referring to objects, and no it isn't necessarily created in Modeler. I exported an LWO from 3D-Coat, couple million polys, Modeler wasn't too happy with that.

Last edited:

Myagi

Ah I see, aren't 3D-coat and ZBrush etc. better at baking their own objects than third party apps? I mean what is the benefit of not doing it in there? I'm not really up to speed on those sculpting apps. I suppose it maybe gets complicated with getting the low-poly model in them?

Philbert

Sub-Dude
I can't speak for others but on this particular model I had some trouble with 3DC's displacement map so I just thought I'd look for some other alternatives.

Aquarian

I have been testing this plugin and so far the result quality seems better than what I've been getting out of 3DC except that there are errors in the map that I haven't been able to work out.

I've posted some screen shots to show what I mean. I'm pretty new to laying out UV maps and baking down so there must be some things I'm missing, perhaps someone here could give me some direction?

This same object/uv map bakes down fine in 3D Coat, I just like the quality in the Texture Baker better.

In the video it looks like half the model is baked down and then mirrored? Is that what I need to do? Not sure how I would do that.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• Darkbreed_AssaultRifle_v006_lowpoly_n.jpg
    Darkbreed_AssaultRifle_v006_lowpoly_n.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 170
  • UV_layout.jpg
    UV_layout.jpg
    647.1 KB · Views: 161
  • Settings.jpg
    Settings.jpg
    566.7 KB · Views: 156

Myagi

For a quick check that the artifacts aren't the result of concave/non-planar polys you can Triple the entire high resolution mesh and bake. Also double check the troubled area to see that the trace distance is large enough.

For mirroring you have to make use of the #ignore feature (4.2 in the user guide also describes it). You tell the baker to exclude the mirrored half by assigning the mirrored faces, of the low poly mesh, to a LW part named "#ignore". That way it will not overwrite/overbake the same polys twice.

Technically it would also be possible to just delete the mirrored half while baking, but smoothed normals in the seam will not match the final normals, if the final mesh has merged vertices across the seam.

Myagi

Ok for some reason I can't save an edited post, so I'll have to make a new one:

Edit: I noticed a couple of white "holes" in anopther area of the normal map, those are usually the result of trace distances being too short (the ray doesn't "reach" the high poly mesh), so definitely try increasing the distance a little bit.

Aquarian

Great, Thank you Myagi! You were right all I needed to do was triple the hi-res model.

Ok for some reason I can't save an edited post, so I'll have to make a new one:

Edit: I noticed a couple of white "holes" in anopther area of the normal map, those are usually the result of trace distances being too short (the ray doesn't "reach" the high poly mesh), so definitely try increasing the distance a little bit.

Thank you for noticing, I'm still adjusting the ray distances. I will be purchasing a commercial license very soon!

Aquarian

The normal maps don't seem to be matching on some of the seams. On the handle I have it split in two sides but they don't seem to be matching up...what can I do to fix this?

Thanks!

Attachments

• ss-1.jpg
    ss-1.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 249
  • ss-2.jpg
    ss-2.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 257

Myagi

If the verts are merged/welded between the halves, you could try not merging the mirrored half (this requires re-baking the unmerged variant), ie. the edges along the mirror seam are open.

It's also possible that a render engine doesn't support mirrored normal maps. If you still get the inside-out effect on the mirrored half, even if it isn't merged, then that's probably the case.

You might still get a visible seam, depending on how the polys are placed, but knowing whether the mirrored half is inside out or not will answer the question if can handle mirrored normal maps or not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom