Text node

nickdigital

Does anyone know of a node that can hold text? It'd be nice to hold notes, instructions or random thoughts in the node editor.

jeric_synergy

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
There was a thread on this: I believe JeffrySG (sp?) had several screen grabs illustrating his system of node-renaming as commenting.

Of course, there is also the Comment field at the bottom of the Node Editor, which is a PER-NODE feature. Unfortunately TMK there is no per-Network commenting facility.

Just as a reminder, Surfaces also have a comment field, at the bottom of the Surface Editor.

If someone were to implement such a thing (pretty please) FEATURE REQUEST it could use a non-functioning/neutral output (is that possible?) to connect the COMMENT to the nodes upon which it was commenting.

(I'm not sure a 'neutral output' is universally possible, so going the other way, a pointless INPUT on the Comment node, would probably be the easier way.

(ugh, I can't stop myself) USER DEFINED BALLOON COMMENTS would be nice too, as they would keep the visual field clearer.

Last edited:

nickdigital

Yeah I know about the comment fields but I'd like to see something larger. The idea is similar to having sticky notes on your phone or desktop. It'd be cool if you could link them no nodes so you could tie notes/instructions to nodes.

In a more elaborate node you could pipe the text out as surface but I believe ifw already has a text node.

jeric_synergy

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
It'd be cool if you could link them no nodes so you could tie notes/instructions to nodes.
duh wuhHHH? ::hedscratch:: You mean, just have a line from the note to the node? That's what I mean by having a 'useless input' on the Comment node-- the infrastructure for drawing lines from things to other things is already in the Node Editor, nothing to add.

--'Null Input': that'll work.

Meanwhile, I bet only a small percentage of people even use the Comment line-- it's too far away from the action.

nickdigital

duh wuhHHH? ::hedscratch:: You mean, just have a line from the note to the node? That's what I mean by having a 'useless input' on the Comment node-- the infrastructure for drawing lines from things to other things is already in the Node Editor, nothing to add.

--'Null Input': that'll work.

Meanwhile, I bet only a small percentage of people even use the Comment line-- it's too far away from the action.

Oops, typo. I meant link them "to" nodes. (Typing on my phone). Basically what you've been describing. 8)

jeric_synergy

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
Ta heck w/half measures!: Let's just make it so you can record a video from your webcam describing what the network does and have it continually play in the Node Editor. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, hey: is the CONTENT of that existing Text Node animatable the same way an AE Text Layer is?

You could do some awesome mograph stuff w/that, maybe..... esp if it were a displacement node....

jeric_synergy

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
Yeah, I'm certainly not seeing an INPUT, although it might be all in the UI /side panel.

...oooooo, "NotAlpha", wonder what that is.....

Top Bottom