Tell me what I'm going wrong (Connect Spark Plus SDI)

Roget

Tell me what I'm doing wrong (Connect Spark Plus SDI)

Hello...

Company purchased an NDI Spark Plus and we've connected it to the network, assigned it an IP address and connected an SDI video source to the input.

Spark Config.png

The Spark indicates that it's seeing the SDI signal. I can ping the IP address and access the web interface. NDI Access Manager sees the device and I can add it to a list on any local computer with NDI tools.

BUT I can't see any video (via Studio Monitor). If it's the first thing I try to call up, I just see a black screen. I see video from other NDI sources when I switch to them and when I try to go back to this Spark, I see a frozen picture of the previous NDI source.

Current firmware version: 2015.4
Current software version: 1.43.0137
Current hardware version: 1.1

Last edited:

Lutere

Hi,
if you can see other NDI sources, your pc is configured properly.

let's try to change some settings on your workflow :
Spark : change multicast to unicast ( some switch don't suppot this mode )
network cable ; CAT 6 or highter ? ( CAT7 is better for 4k )
SWITCH : each port is manegeable ? are you sure that you are into the same VLAN or private network than the others devices ?
Ndi traffic maximum attempt ?

Try a very simple workflow, and check if something changes : camera--> spark --> small , non menageable GIGABIT switch --> your pc
Set both spark and pc on the same network, with static Ip address.

Roget

Hi,
if you can see other NDI sources, your pc is configured properly.

let's try to change some settings on your workflow :
Spark : change multicast to unicast ( some switch don't suppot this mode )
network cable ; CAT 6 or highter ? ( CAT7 is better for 4k )
SWITCH : each port is manegeable ? are you sure that you are into the same VLAN or private network than the others devices ?
Ndi traffic maximum attempt ?

Try a very simple workflow, and check if something changes : camera--> spark --> small , non menageable GIGABIT switch --> your pc
Set both spark and pc on the same network, with static Ip address.

EDIT: We're only pushing 720p at 59.94. I turned off Multicast (from Default) and still no video.

Hey Lutere,

thanks for the reply.

The funny thing was, that even a direct connection from Spark to a laptop produced no results. We have an older Spark and several NDI sources that are currently viewable on the same in-house network but not this new Spark. After sending THREE new units back to NewTek (this is our fourth attempt) I managed to get a picture from the Spark with a direct connection to my laptop, but still no picture when connected to our in-house network. Our IT guy found and updated to the latest version of firmware (1.81 I believe). He also found that when he defined the device as an "NDI Source" and NOT a "NewTek Connect Spark" that the device name AND video finally popped up for a while, but then spontaneously quit after a few hours. Rebooting the device works sometimes.

Last edited:

Roget

Hello again!

I wanted to give you an update. My boss was finally fed up with this Spark and allowed me to make some changes. First, I took it from the equipment rack and put it on my desk (where it's not supposed to be) and then I changed it from Static to DHCP and connected it to the switch that feeds my desktop PC (which I'm not supposed to do) and it has been working flawlessly. Now we need to find out why it's giving trouble connected to a switch that our other NDI devices use.

Roget

Another update. After testing the Spark on my desk for a few days without it failing, I took it off DHCP and put the correct static IP address and DNS back in and put it in the rack where it is supposed to reside. No surprise. It didn't work. I was able to devise a test for that network connection. We just purchased an NDI license for a spare Panasonic PTZ camera we had sitting around in storage. I mimicked the static IP settings for the Spark on the Panasonic PTZ and placed it in the rack. We get video from the PTZ and it looks good. So the problem is NOT with our network. There may be some erroneous setting on the Spark we need to dig into to get it to work like the Panasonic cam.

kanep

NewTek SE
The Spark units default to 192.168.100.168 for an IP address if they are in DHCP mode but cannot find one. However, if you set a static IP on the unit it should work. But you migh try the above address to see if the unit appears there.

Roget

Hello, Kane

Thanks for your reply!

I never had an issue with the IP address on the Spark, DHCP or static, I was always able to ping the IP and access the web interface. The video doesn't work on its assigned IP address and switch whereas the Panasonic PTZ does make video using the exact same settings. Also, we have an older Spark that works just fine on the same switch and subnet.

kanep

NewTek SE
Is the older Spark an HX model? As is the PTZ?

What is your switch? If all working NDI sources are HX, it almost sounds like you aren't getting gigabit performance somewhere in the setup.

Roget

The older Spark is an HX. (NPSDO?) It has the two light blue antennae.

Update:

We're currently going through a process of testing a loaner. My boss is corresponding with the tech who shipped it to us.

Roget

Final update:

The solution was the worst possible but we had no choice. Both the new Spark and the loaner consistently failed. We sent the loaner back and got a refund on our new Spark. Ordered a used Connect Spark SDI (NCS-S?) off of Ebay that worked straight out of the box. Updated firmware...kept working.

BEARS_THERAPY

The problem sounds like a port conflict and network collision problem. If all the NDI cameras and the new Spark were using the same port, it might get a little confused. It's a shame you returned it. The world may never know...

Top Bottom