Teaching replacement for Inspire?

RichH

Hi folks:

The college where I teach has Inspire licenses. We just got hit with the biggest budget cut in state history, which means we are even more desperately short of money than usual. We need to rev our 3D software, but LW is beyond our means. Can anyone suggest a replacement for Inspire that is X-platform, stable, useful, and cheap?

Richard Hurley

SplineGod

RichH said:
Hi folks:

The college where I teach has Inspire licenses. We just got hit with the biggest budget cut in state history, which means we are even more desperately short of money than usual. We need to rev our 3D software, but LW is beyond our means. Can anyone suggest a replacement for Inspire that is X-platform, stable, useful, and cheap?

Richard Hurley
Why dont you contact Newtek and see if they can do something?

pixelmonk

Pixel Harmonizer
Re: Re: Teaching replacement for Inspire?

SplineGod said:
Why dont you contact Newtek and see if they can do something?

I concur. Newtek can work with you on replacing your Inspire seats to full-blown seats of LW.

I taught an Inspire class, as well as did some online tutorials for the people at the government agency where I am contracted to. It was painful, coming from a LW 7.x background to teach Inspire!

Panticle

Wow I have both LW7.0 and Creative Inspire and in truth unless I am doing something beyond Inspire I don't use 7.0. I find 7.0 to be more busy and the view ports are smaller so I prefere Inspire. I think it is a great modeling tool. I also took a 3D class at the local college and we were taught on Imagine. I can say for a fact I did all my work at home on Inspire and would have welcomed Inspire in the class room. I understand it isn't the latest and the greatest but by no means is it the worst. For the basic 3D modeling class Inspire is a great tool. Texturing/Renduring etc...to be honest I was doing that in Imagine as it was easier faster and for some reason even when following tutorials and book projects I can never get LW/CI to render photoreaslistic. I am sure it is just me as I've seen what it is capable of producing.

RichH

Thanks all for the various replies to this thread. A few replies to the replies:

Inspire was spun out of LW 5.6, I believe. This dates to the era of Win 95 and Mac OS 7.x or so, and a lot has changed since then. We are running Mac OSX in our labs, which means that Inspire runs under the Mac OS 9.2 simulator ("classic mode"). This just isn't stable enough. It is really hard on students to memorize which portions of the app just don't work while they are trying very hard to master those portions that do.

My inclination is to get current LW licenses (if we can cut a good deal with NewTek), then strip out about 60% of the commands from LW. In essence, re-creating a current version of Inspire, but with a number of the key enhancements left in (e.g., skelegons and the Layer Browser in Modeler, multiple cameras in Layout, etc.).

Any comments on this approach? And, does anyone know a good textbook for a beginning course in LightWave?

Richard Hurley

SplineGod

RichH said:
Thanks all for the various replies to this thread. A few replies to the replies:

Inspire was spun out of LW 5.6, I believe. This dates to the era of Win 95 and Mac OS 7.x or so, and a lot has changed since then. We are running Mac OSX in our labs, which means that Inspire runs under the Mac OS 9.2 simulator ("classic mode"). This just isn't stable enough. It is really hard on students to memorize which portions of the app just don't work while they are trying very hard to master those portions that do.

My inclination is to get current LW licenses (if we can cut a good deal with NewTek), then strip out about 60% of the commands from LW. In essence, re-creating a current version of Inspire, but with a number of the key enhancements left in (e.g., skelegons and the Layer Browser in Modeler, multiple cameras in Layout, etc.).

Any comments on this approach? And, does anyone know a good textbook for a beginning course in LightWave?

Richard Hurley
I wouldnt worry about stripping out anything. Just stick to the basics which are pretty much the same in both apps. Where the buttons are located may be a bit different but that doesnt take long to relearn. There are no textbooks for Lightwave in the classical sense. You might take a look at this:
http://www.splinegod.com/introtolightwave.html

Top Bottom