surface bake an entire scene? Plugin or script availible?

aSkeptic

Hi Lightwavers!

I was wondering if there is a plugin or lscript for automating the process of baking illumination for lightmaping treatments. Compatibility with the w3d process would be a huge plus!

I guess the ultimate plugin for me would be a general plugin panel that would:

1. Select an output directory for a scene and object copies (it does all objects).

2. optional automatic UV map maker for each and every surface

3. Bake resolution in texture pixels per meter, or meters per texture pixel.. Just like with game mapping programs

4. and a render button

That would save days of work and allow quick experimentation!

Is there something commercial or free that does this super automagic like?

-aSkeptic

mdoyle

Hey aSkeptic

I have not tested this yet but here is a link to shadow map type thing

http://www.vagtmedia.de/lmxtra/

At first when I want to try and create shadow maps I looked at this but it wasn't getting the result I was looking for and couldn't get it working quickly after it was still earlier in beta so not sure how the newest versions are.

For the projects I was working on I spent a lot of time trying to create some shadow maps in a way of my own. Unfortunately it was done through my company and I cannot give out the code as it was done for a client but I will try and point you in the right direction without giving the actual lines of code. We might be releasing it very cheaply once its bug free for others to use as it still has the odd problem here and there so will let you know. If you are unclear or need any help then please ask away

Here is a few screenshots taken directly from shockwave with what I managed to do. There is 4 meg of textures for the entire room.

When I first started creating shadows I used to try and bake an entire texture for an object with shadows but as you can imagine especially in shockwave you really don't want to go much higher than 512x512. With this you normall get really low lookin textures with the shadows. The best thing to do like most others is to have 2 texture layers one with a tiled colour texture and one with a baked shadow textured "multiplied" over the 1st texture layer. Unfortunately lightwave cannot export an object with 2 texture layers to shockwave 3d so it has to be done completely in director. I texture my model normally and export it to director. I then use mircrowave to texture bake a shadow map that can then be brought into director. The 2nd texture layer in director will then match up to the shadow map and then applied over the the 1st layer.

most of the things you asked for in the list can be done in lightwave.

2. U can make an atlas uv map automatically in lightwave for either colour or shadow uvs for the baking

3. u can bake the texture in lightwave using microwave or other texture baking plugins but it will bake it on the uv u have created for it.

4. Render button would be F9 :D

The lightmap extra might be what you are looking for and possibly could be automatic enough for you but I couldn't get pre render looking maps with directorlights. Perhaps with spending more time with it you can achieve better results so will have a look at it again later.

IF you need any more help just ask.

M

Captain Obvious

If you don't need to bake shaders, shadow maps or effects caused by volumetrics, Kray has pretty awesome baking utilities. No whole scene baking, as such, but it's a heck of a lot faster and easier than the surface baking available in Lightwave.

aSkeptic

mdoyle said:
Hey aSkeptic

I have not tested this yet but here is a link to shadow map type thing

http://www.vagtmedia.de/lmxtra/

At first when I want to try and create shadow maps I looked at this but it wasn't getting the result I was looking for and couldn't get it working quickly after it was still earlier in beta so not sure how the newest versions are.

For the projects I was working on I spent a lot of time trying to create some shadow maps in a way of my own. Unfortunately it was done through my company and I cannot give out the code as it was done for a client but I will try and point you in the right direction without giving the actual lines of code. We might be releasing it very cheaply once its bug free for others to use as it still has the odd problem here and there so will let you know. If you are unclear or need any help then please ask away

Here is a few screenshots taken directly from shockwave with what I managed to do. There is 4 meg of textures for the entire room.

When I first started creating shadows I used to try and bake an entire texture for an object with shadows but as you can imagine especially in shockwave you really don't want to go much higher than 512x512. With this you normall get really low lookin textures with the shadows. The best thing to do like most others is to have 2 texture layers one with a tiled colour texture and one with a baked shadow textured "multiplied" over the 1st texture layer. Unfortunately lightwave cannot export an object with 2 texture layers to shockwave 3d so it has to be done completely in director. I texture my model normally and export it to director. I then use mircrowave to texture bake a shadow map that can then be brought into director. The 2nd texture layer in director will then match up to the shadow map and then applied over the the 1st layer.

most of the things you asked for in the list can be done in lightwave.

2. U can make an atlas uv map automatically in lightwave for either colour or shadow uvs for the baking

3. u can bake the texture in lightwave using microwave or other texture baking plugins but it will bake it on the uv u have created for it.

4. Render button would be F9 :D

The lightmap extra might be what you are looking for and possibly could be automatic enough for you but I couldn't get pre render looking maps with directorlights. Perhaps with spending more time with it you can achieve better results so will have a look at it again later.

IF you need any more help just ask.

M
Wow Thank you so much mdoyle! That is pretty hard core! I can't wait to experiment with it!

Top Bottom