Still using LW 2015.3 and no need to change it.

TreyX

Big Kahuna
I have/had Tree Druid, really liked it.
It must have been back pre v9 ish.
Newest version on my system is 10, and no plugin visible.

I did find a folder called trees, which I must have saved numerous tree varieties from Tree Druid before moving on to an unsupported LW.
exactly. 😁

prometheus

REBORN
Tree-designer by Pawel Olas and Verdure was/is quite similar in structure, though I believe Tree-designer was more advanced, and included a full set of various leafs and bark textures.
Tree-druid..can´t recall, it would be nice to have someone comparing these Three´s :)

Last edited:

TreyX

Big Kahuna
Tree-designer by Pawel Olas and Verdure was/is quite similar in structure, though I believe Tree-designer was more advanced, and included a full set of various leafs and bark textures.
Tree-druid..can´t recall, it would be nice to have someone comparing these Three´s :)
i think you mean TreesDesigner? i use that one. is awesome! and yes, much more robust... 🌳

PetGerbil

I've always liked Dp Verdure. Every other tree designer seems to be very good at trees that I don't like the look of,
whereas Denis's always look like what I want.

prometheus

REBORN
i think you mean TreesDesigner? i use that one. is awesome! and yes, much more robust... 🌳
Yes..Perhaps I wasn´t truly correct with that name.
I've always liked Dp Verdure. Every other tree designer seems to be very good at trees that I don't like the look of,
whereas Denis's always look like what I want.

I don´t think there´s any difference in look of yielded tree´s between Dp Verdure or TreesDesigner, seems Denis used TreesDesigner as a rolemodel, they are very much similar, apart from TreesDesigner being more advanced and complete with bark and leaf textures and some other features, and the pricing of course.

As for the look, it´s of course up to yourself to shape the branches, forking etc, if only that tool could work parametricly within layout, in order to change shape for the tree branching interactively

Tip...for a (pine tree) though SBowie may lecture me ..as he has before about tree´s...
Free Pine Needle leaf texture? | NewTek Forums

in Dp Verdure, use a cylinder as the mesh background, start with that and tweak settings, the hard part would be to get the leafs right.
Never mind the lousy foliage, just a quick test many yeas ago...

I also recall onyx, I think it was there as a plugin for lightwave, or standalone, can´t recall..pine and broadleaf tree´s..
OnyxTREE BROADLEAF

I would love to have speedTree though, but that is out of range for hobby workers, as an environment artist..that tool seem to be some Industry standard, or often something you should have in skills to use, or be acustomed to use.

Xfrog is another one one may look in to, it based on more natural parameters..
All Xfrog components can be animated by varying their parameters: Growth, number of branches, strength of attraction, gravitropism, or phototropism, and each parameter of every Xfrog component can be animated! With this flexibility, Xfrog can animate things like blossoming flowers or trees growing from seed to adult.

Last edited:

And have you had any time to
No...

had no time.

just like EmberGen :o
a good buy tho', many nice plants / trees.
can't recall the 3d-format.

there is also the $60 Flora Standalone
so-so quality
can create flowers / trees / plants

Markc

ack ack
Booted up an old Mac with LW 7.5, 8, and 9 on it, but no sign of Tree Druid plugin......:cautious:
Maybe it only worked up to V6 (or it may have been in my darker time 'windows' days).

IMG_0152.jpeg

You should really consider starting to use Unity (or Unreal) for exterior render system....or for everything as Render Engine.
We are in good position because we have modelling and surfacing skill already - most people from Unity/Unreal has no skill for modeling or offline rendering ! Yes , that was my surprise when I join community there. Those people has skill for game quality and coding in C# but for rendering NOTHING!
If you have basic GPU card you can start with Baking system (commercial Bakery Engine plugin is amazing) or like me using DXR but for that you need Ampere 3090.
In unity, fog, volumetric, volumetric regional, vegetation system (unity terrain) real time clouds (better use commercial plugins), water system (commercial of course: Crest or KWS) are just staggering with quality and of course in real time!
Terrain system in Unity is not yet supported in DXR (is in progress) but even in old style looks great. In the upcoming Autumn I will start make my pipeline for exteriors so you see more on my YouTube channel (I have to only render animation from my last interior - you can see some shoots on YouTube)

Everything above (watch my free webpage or YouTube) is done by Lightwave and I will not change it forever because I need only LW2015, LWCAD which I Love. Under is Render Engine: Unity.

prometheus

REBORN
You should really consider starting to use Unity (or Unreal) for exterior render system....or for everything as Render Engine.
We are in good position because we have modelling and surfacing skill already - most people from Unity/Unreal has no skill for modeling or offline rendering ! Yes , that was my surprise when I join community there. Those people has skill for game quality and coding in C# but for rendering NOTHING!
If you have basic GPU card you can start with Baking system (commercial Bakery Engine plugin is amazing) or like me using DXR but for that you need Ampere 3090.
In unity, fog, volumetric, volumetric regional, vegetation system (unity terrain) real time clouds (better use commercial plugins), water system (commercial of course: Crest or KWS) are just staggering with quality and of course in real time!
Terrain system in Unity is not yet supported in DXR (is in progress) but even in old style looks great. In the upcoming Autumn I will start make my pipeline for exteriors so you see more on my YouTube channel (I have to only render animation from my last interior - you can see some shoots on YouTube)

Everything above (watch my free webpage or YouTube) is done by Lightwave and I will not change it forever because I need only LW2015, LWCAD which I Love. Under is Render Engine: Unity.
I would like to see you having your youtube channel under your signature :)
Bu then again.. it can be found on your webpage.

Interesting to see your Unity gallery, some nice volumetrics there in the forest(y)
I like it, almost there in realism, maybe too strongly defined volumetrics, could be more subtle, and some camera perspectives that to me seems a bit strange.
I was messing with similar scenes the other day ..in blender Evee and it´s volumetrics, while I am confident in getting the volumetrics looking good, I need more assets for textures and tree´s.

As for Unity or Unreal...I really have to do more research on what would fit me best.
Nice sample below, too strong blooming on the water surface though, and as always with game engine tree´s, the flat leaf billbords are killing the realism and also the every so often sharp clipping transition between the ground terrain and water, but otherwise it´s nice ..and it reminds me I really have to catch the nature in IRL a bit more these last weeks of summer.

Last edited:
I would like to see you having your youtube channel under your signature :)
Bu then again.. it can be found on your webpage.

Interesting to see your Unity gallery, some nice volumetrics there in the forest(y)
I like it, almost there in realism, maybe too strongly defined volumetrics, could be more subtle, and some camera perspectives that to me seems a bit strange.
I was messing with similar scenes the other day ..in blender Evee and it´s volumetrics, while I am confident in getting the volumetrics looking good, I need more assets for textures and tree´s.

As for Unity or Unreal...I really have to do more research on what would fit me best.
Nice sample below, too strong blooming on the water surface though, and as always with game engine tree´s, the flat leaf billbords are killing the realism and also the every so often sharp clipping transition between the ground terrain and water, but otherwise it´s nice ..and it reminds me I really have to catch the nature in IRL a bit more these last weeks of summer.

Forest 2

prometheus

REBORN
Yeah..that is a couple of levels more in realism.
Noticable to parts that breaks realism ..is the wind motion of smaller plants, they are often in clusters ..where real life isn´t, so for any engine to perform that in realtime per individual gras or blade..that will be a tough grass patch to crack.

But otherwise..decent level of realism, I believe we have one of those tree creatures shown in the end here in our forest as well😁

If anyone just could give a good advice on the Absolute best environment engine, for both tree´s terrain, volumetric atmosphere and clouds, I would be a little wiser.

for realtime, a close tie between Unreal / Unity
Unreal being the winner of poly crunching (big scenes)
Unity might win the Ui match.
but no expert.

non-realtime, Houdini Indie i guess.
slow render tho', very slow, according to online tests.

seems Unity also is a good general tool.
good LightWave <> Unity workflow also.

Last edited:

prometheus

REBORN
for realtime, a close tie between Unreal / Unity
Unreal being the winner of poly crunching (big scenes)
Unity might win the Ui match.
but no expert.

non-realtime, Houdini Indie i guess.
slow render tho', very slow, according to online tests.

seems Unity also is a good general tool.
good LightWave <> Unity workflow also.

As for asset content, I would believe ureal is the winner, but both got quixel bridges, not sure there.
As for Volumetric handling, the atmosphere scatter on sky as well as fog/mist..then clouds, I do not know.
As for Polygon handling, I believe that would be Unreal with it´s nanite engine.
As For GI, suspecting Unreal.

Terrain tools, such as the best one for sculpting realistic terrain natively, excluding worldmachine, Gaea or houdini for that...I don´t know.

UI..I have to try them both first.
Lightwave/Blender/Houdini compability, still have to test.

prometheus

REBORN
i see Unity has SSGi now, so might be a close tie.

great apps, but lots to learn, so not going there yet.

Utterly incredible tho' how far they have come.

View attachment 153344
I recall when I first entered the 3D world, I thought that what we can see today with realtime engine rendering..in eevee, unity and unreal, that is how it Then worked in the 3D world, then I found out that the stuff had to be rendered for hours mostly.

If Only we could have had the realtime stuff then :)..but as future is progressing, so will that tinking always be there for older stuff improved of course, not much of use to linger on to what could have been really.
It must be exciting though for the padawans.

And yes..as you say, lot´s to learn, so not going there yet isn´t an option, but rather sooner than later really..and that with our age in mind..it means prioritizing your time differently and what you think is most crucial, I have at least stopped watching tv quite a bit.

Top Bottom