Star Trek Generations Reimagined Ending (final edit)

Planeguy

Rendered in LW 2019 using the standard render. No GI. Could use some more tweaking specially on the warp jump, but it works. Trying to replicate the miniature look of the 80s 90s, still much work to do to get it right.

Enjoy

adrian

Audere-Est-Facere
That's really nice although I'm wondering if the lighting should be a bit harsher, ie the main light looks like it's coming from opposite the camera yet the far side of the ships are still well lit. That would also really make the ship interior lights pop.

prometheus

OFF TOPIC
That's really nice although I'm wondering if the lighting should be a bit harsher, ie the main light looks like it's coming from opposite the camera yet the far side of the ships are still well lit. That would also really make the ship interior lights pop.

I agree, the lighting isn´t good, either not setup right..or it´s just too much ambient lighting, though then again...perhaps at least the 80s movies had more of that look..they were frankly not very nice lit, so perhaps the "Bad" Lighting should be that bad :)

It says it should replicate miniature models, what that exactly should look like I honestly don´t know, seems to me it is either good space lighting or just cartoony lighting.

I would also suggest make some glow on the red front parts of the thruster engines as well as on the blue parts there as well.

The amount of ambient lighting to give contours and shape for the ships is often very subtle, in real sitatuatio I would say it would be pretty much complete blackness unless a planet atmosphere is under it, but that isn´t cool for movie starships so that´s why we need some slight rim and fill lighting apart from the key sun/starlight.

The rest of it is promising.

adrian

Audere-Est-Facere
An example of really good space lighting would be 1979's Alien and the Nostromo flying past the camera at the beginning of the film.

prometheus

OFF TOPIC
An example of really good space lighting would be 1979's Alien and the Nostromo flying past the camera at the beginning of the film.
If it is only the nostromo there and what we see is only the belly of Nostromo, the main vehicle is the huge refinery tower which I can´t recall what name it has or if it had any.
I agree, great space lighting there, though I think modern CGI movies tend to enhance the fill light more than that, but alien I think seem to be Not dark contrasted as 2001, but in the middle, but there is also a matter of surface material where it´s mostly white/grey in 2001 and in star trek, while nostromo have a more dirty metal darker look to it.

prometheus

OFF TOPIC
Have to correct myself, and revisiting shots instead of going by memory that fails.
I think Alien space shots Is darker than 2001 for sure, so my mistake.

It is indeed incredible when you look at it again, also how planets are lite with complete darkness on only lit where the solar light is coming from, unlike most space shots later where it is enhanced for giving a full planet form impression with tiny ambience.

Love the look on this when they are about to departure from the main towering vessel and decending on LV 426

decent.jpg

adrian

Audere-Est-Facere
... and look at all the detail on the ship! That's also what I so loved about the Star Wars universe too. All of those nurnies just add to the effect of the harsh lighting.

prometheus

OFF TOPIC
... and look at all the detail on the ship! That's also what I so loved about the Star Wars universe too. All of those nurnies just add to the effect of the harsh lighting.

Yup loved that as well in Star wars, the first look in the opening scenes when we start to hear rumble and that star destroyers comes in above us in the screen with all that detail.
However, that was one style with almost white plaster look.
I think they gave more attention to actual mechanical construction on the vehicles on Alien, more than just design looks.

The ol star wars look..

Top Bottom