slider bank for essential functions of the LW instancer

Sensei

TrueArt Support
Did you figure out how to add non-uniformity of distances between cars in chain?

The easiest way to control LW scene/objects from external place e.g. script or Excel/Open Office Spread Sheet/text editor is CSV Reader node:

LightWaveGuru

Did you figure out how to add non-uniformity of distances between cars in chain?

hi Sensei,

this is the smallest problem. you can use for this the random offset or even animate this offset.
or you use the weight tool and cut some cars out of the car crowd.

the bigger issue is to get the vehicles (from the same instance) with spline instancing to start and stop with a time offset.
so that they don't all stop and start at the same time.

(i have a hack for animating the separation of the instances between start and stop.
you can see it in the video.
but this is a hack and not a real solution because the instances then only change the distances during the ride
but not with time offset start and stop. )

btw

what you show in the video is done with octane via the instance id.
so instances are colored differently via instance id.

snip LWGuru

Last edited:

Sensei

TrueArt Support
this is the smallest problem. you can use for this the random offset or even animate this offset.

You don't seem to fully understand the problem..
This way it is easy with just two cars, not 3, 4, 5, 6, 7... etc. The more cars, the worser.
Car #7 can't exceed #6, which can't exceed #5, etc. etc. So only positive offsets are ok.

Addition of traffic lights will make it even worser. It has no idea where cars are on the road. i.e. car #7 due to its long distance from previous cars in sequence can be so much delayed that it will pass through red traffic lights and/or collide with cars going in other direction..

the bigger issue is to get the vehicles (from the same instance) with spline instancing to start and stop with a time offset.

I give you ready solution for your problems..

what you show in the video is done with octane via the instance id.
so instances are colored differently via instance id.

Not really.
You don't seem to understand potential.
One can color instances with #id to different colors using Gradient node with exposed keys ("Show Key" or so).
But, I am editing text file, were I am setting the all values, and LW reads them.
UNIQUE VALUE PER FRAME (each frame instance can have different color, or other attribute, read from file!)

If you want to make it using native LW, you have to save scene under different name, save object under different name, then edit and experiment.
If you're using CSV Reader node, you have one object, one scene, which is using one CSV text file.
You duplicate this file, edit it, replace it, and entire LightWave sees change.
Instead of changing animated enveloper in Layout, which is written to .lwo or .lws, you change .csv file, referenced by CSV Reader node.
Replace .csv by other file, and you have change in the thing CSV Reader controlled.
You have one .lws and/or one .lwo, instead of dozen unnecessary files on disk.

Sensei

TrueArt Support
You just offset them in X/Z axis, so they are not uniform on road, but not in length/distance between cars.. I was talking about road which is crossing other roads with traffic lights, which will have to stop queue of cars..
e.g. imagine queue of cars, they are so long they can't fit in entire road, between lights "a" and lights "b" on the same road. Part of cars that fits, passes through traffic lights, other part has to stay there waiting for green lights.

Each traffic lights, cars should stop differently.
If they follow program, uniformly, it is easily visible.

Last edited:

LightWaveGuru

You just offset them in X/Z axis, so they are not uniform on road, but not in length/distance between cars.. I was talking about road which is crossing other roads with traffic lights, which will have to stop queue of cars..
e.g. imagine queue of cars, they are so long they can't fit in entire road, between lights "a" and lights "b" on the same road. Part of cars that fits, passes through traffic lights, other part has to stay there waiting for green lights.

Each traffic lights, cars should stop differently.
If they follow program, uniformly, it is easily visible.

And where exactly is the problem now?
And how do you get the idea that it would be the right way to use only one spline for a traffic lights system? :)

think bigger my friend! :)

snip LWGuru

LightWaveGuru

The easiest way to control LW scene/objects...

is to use your own Brain! ;)

btw

for 15 years, whenever a LightWave user tells me something is not possible in LightWave or is a problem, I assume it is not a problem.

Why? Because my experience shows me that some LW users are often wrong.

If this is the reason why LightWave has a certain reputation then I am for shooting these users!
After all, as is so common in Texas, so I was told! :) LOL :)

snip LWGuru

yep.
yep.
If this is the reason why LightWave has a certain reputation then I am for shooting these users!
sometimes you go verbally too far, this can get you banned from certain places.
i see you do it over and over again. this is not a positive attitude.
i hope you change it, you didn't use to be that over-the-top years back.
there is a limit to sarcastic humor.

LightWaveGuru

sometimes you go verbally too far, this can get you banned from certain places.
i see you do it over and over again. this is not a positive attitude.
i hope you change it, you didn't use to be that over-the-top years back.
there is a limit to sarcastic humor.

this is not just sarcasm!

this is also meant seriously.

by the way, this is not limited to the LW community. I find this in every software community. And you know what the reason is?

The reason is that people prefer to blame the software than themselves.

The problem is called "substitute activity" in social psychology.

You can also find this in the audio field. If the track is mixed badly, then it was the mixer's fault. And I have no understanding for this, because I expect a minimum of self-reflection from software users, otherwise they are unsuitable for 3D software. There are no problems. There are only solutions. These solutions may not always be perfect but there are solutions! And I don't listen to this whining that the software can't do it anymore because in over 90% of the cases the error sit in front of the computer. Therefore. Lightwave is not for idiots! We humans are not the same! We are not the BORG known all can do everything! In this respect. This kind of "sarcasm" also always contains a true core.

and so that the context in which i say this is understood correctly.

there is a good reason why there are access requirements for degree courses and a 3d software suit is a degree course. therefore. people don't learn in the same way. they don't have the same dispositions and they have different perceptive abilities. in this respect, you also have to tell the kids and beginners this so that they aren't disappointed later on.

and if this simple truth violates the forum rules then the forum rules must be changed! :)

snip LWGuru

Last edited:
this is not just sarcasm!

this is also meant seriously.

sure, but you didn't answer the sarcastic part.
relax, if people don't behave the way you expect or want, don't convince them by being so damn direct. it doesn't help.
just asking you to tone it down a notch.

if you use your Brain, (using your word there)
you should know that in the sentence above you are actually suggesting to (indirectly) shoot Sensei.

Sensei says something,
you reply, if this is the reason, then i'm for shooting the users. (includes Sensei)

You CAN'T say stuff like that.
this is just ONE example of you going too far.
but if your only on a path to defend your actions. not much I can do.

remember the time you made a video of me stuttering?
how do you think i felt about that?
add 1+1 Rene... please.

is this the 3rd place you'll get banned ?

Last edited:

kadri

Erikals is right. Lightwaveguru your attitude might or might not be outside the forum rules but it is off-putting to say the least.
Why use such an aggressive way for posts? I probably can't do the things you do. Does that makes me an idiot?
You could have said nearly the same things with just some small changes without sounding so aggressive.
You speak like it is all the users fault that Lightwave is where it is now. I don't think so at all.
You don't help Lightwave with your attitude at all (i have seen you in Facebook too).
That there is not much left for help that is another thing.

LightWaveGuru

You CAN'T say stuff like that.
is this the 3rd place you'll get banned ?

i can! you saw it.

btw

are you threatening me?

you mobbing beginners need to practice a bit more, because nobody cares if i'm banned in one of dozens of forums because an administrator is ticked off. not only that he was too cowardly to write me that he has banned me, he can certainly not show or find quotes that would violate the forum rules.
therefore. never give slaves power. they then become slave owners and abuse their power. and what i think about slaves should be clear. ;)

i will never visit this forum again even if i get unlocked. they only do this kind of nonsense to me once!

therefore.

the lightwave community is mendacious and morally degenerate. it has at least two faces. the one friendly face on FB. and the other true face in the private forums of discord. and since i always had screenshots from there, i also know exactly who makes what policy on FB and what it looks like in discord in the private channels. or do you really think you would be so smart? better not overestimate yourselves.

you all need to practice bullying better. you make it too easy for me! LOL :)

snip LWGuru

Last edited:

LightWaveGuru

I probably can't do the things you do. Does that makes me an idiot?

If you claim that a certain task is not possible with for Example LightWave even though it is possible, what do you think you are?
Maybe God? ;)

so i said that for a specific case. so please don't generalize.

snip LWGuru

btw
are you threatening me?

LoL, can't tell if that is a joke or not.
i mean... would that work ??

if so then yes... HUGE threat coming soon. HUMONGOUS. so big even Putin will hide.

i mean, honestly, every member of this community knows i'm known to be pretty badd-arse.

edit: just to make it clear. no, and no, i've never suggested to ban anyone. tho' sometimes things don't land as a surprise.

anyway, we both see where this is going, so no need to discuss further.

Last edited:
Top Bottom