Show your LW2018 Test Renders

prometheus

REBORN
Ahahahahaha funny enought it is the same image I uploaded before. Only difference is that I uploaded from mobile phone and this time I did it from the computer. In any case I'll upload another version as soon I got my computer back to live, as it is where I do keep most of that stuff :/
you can upload several images instead of packing it in to one, or you would probably need to increase image size more than a standard full screen.

Flickr works with some quirks if you know how to, so you wont waste this forums bandwidth, but still can see the images in full size if you right click and open the image in a new browser tab as I described in post 458.

Though I am not fond of uploading and manage the albums, thought google photos had better upload and management, but
I kind of wan´t to avoid it since they made so many removals of their services.

Google photo linking...is easier though...

Last edited:

inakito

I downloaded some 3d skull scan and did some test on Lightwave 2018. The render at 2000x2000 took about 10mints. Lighting is based on an Environment Light and some Area Lights. I am not using GI but the DOF is on, so Volumetrics. I am using instances to populate a ground with some displacements applied. There isnt any texture in use, just shading using Principled Shader and some Procedural Textures. I cropped the image on Fusion Studio, added a bit of defocus, and sharpenning :) I really find this new render pretty amazing and fun work with.

Attachments

• inakito-skull-instances.jpg
    inakito-skull-instances.jpg
    357 KB · Views: 58
  • inakito-skull-instances_b.jpg
    inakito-skull-instances_b.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Axis3d

Lightwave User Since 1990
I downloaded some 3d skull scan and did some test on Lightwave 2018. The render at 2000x2000 took about 10mints. Lighting is based on an Environment Light and some Area Lights. I am not using GI but the DOF is on, so Volumetrics. I am using instances to populate a ground with some displacements applied. There isnt any texture in use, just shading using Principled Shader and some Procedural Textures. I cropped the image on Fusion Studio, added a bit of defocus, and sharpenning :) I really find this new render pretty amazing and fun work with.
Yeah, I find the new renderer to have a lot more depth to the image. Once you get the hang of the 'rules' in dealing with grain in the image, it is fun to work with.

Rayek

That's a fun experiment. 2000px by 2000px. The first one took 2.2 seconds, the HDR lighted one 1.75 seconds to render. Realtime GPU renderer & SSGI (Eevee). No post processing other than colour management.

skull01.png
skull02hdr.png

What HDR environment lighting map did you use? I am trying to replicate your lighting.

RPSchmidt

That's a fun experiment. 2000px by 2000px. The first one took 2.2 seconds, the HDR lighted one 1.75 seconds to render. Realtime GPU renderer & SSGI (Eevee). No post processing other than colour management.

Is it weird that even though the DOF in your render is more accurate, I still like the LW one better?

How does the render look in Cycles (as opposed to Evee)?

prometheus

REBORN
Is it weird that even though the DOF in your render is more accurate, I still like the LW one better?

Just a matter of style and taste, the dof is more prounounced in Lightwave, and the color tone is differently..most likely that which is more of your liking.

Cycles will render it better, it will however not look the same as for asking.

Rayek

K-Cycles B3 alpha, 2000x2000px full brute force quality render with GI etc.

The first one without [email protected] seconds. Second one with HDR environment, sun, and area light 30 seconds. K-Cycles built-in quick post-processing with some glow and lens effect.

Added more skulls in the back- and foreground to fill the square frame better. My new 3080ti is very nice to render on :)

If I'd know which HDR was used in the original and the lighting setup, I could produce a better comparison image. Full GI does improve the quality of the render compared to Eevee in my opinion.

skull_cycles.png
skull_cycles_HDR.png

Would be nice to see a full GI render of the original as well.

inakito

Hi, I added some Area Lights (visible) + Volumetric Scattering. The HDRI was GravelPlaza. I didnt use GI. I didn´t save the scene either but did a bunch of renders from it, plus some others from the previous shading quick work. (Note: The numbers are just orientative as I´m not trying to benchmark anything, just showing some Lightwave 2018 test renders)

Attachments

• bothTestsB.jpg
    bothTestsB.jpg
    398.8 KB · Views: 27

prometheus

REBORN
Hi, I added some Area Lights (visible) + Volumetric Scattering. The HDRI was GravelPlaza. I didnt use GI. I didn´t save the scene either but did a bunch of renders from it, plus some others from the previous shading quick work. (Note: The numbers are just orientative as I´m not trying to benchmark anything, just showing some Lightwave 2018 test renders)

Why do you use volumetric scattering?
shading while fun and a bit interesting, seems to not aim for a typical scull surface though?

inakito

Why do you use volumetric scattering?
shading while fun and a bit interesting, seems to not aim for a typical scull surface though?

For the Volumetric scattering, simply testing purposes as it was a new addition and I wanted to check how volumetric lighting was implemented.

For the skull, every surface may depend on its sorrounding lighting conditions, and for the lighting conditions I was planning for this test, it does the job.

prometheus

REBORN
For the Volumetric scattering, simply testing purposes as it was a new addition and I wanted to check how volumetric lighting was implemented.

For the skull, every surface may depend on its sorrounding lighting conditions, and for the lighting conditions I was planning for this test, it does the job.
procedurals are fun to use as texturing and a quick one if you have no textures, this sample looks experimental..like it´s melted or something :)
otherwise, stick with standard textures, paint one instead, surface bumps should be very subtle and the surface should hold some deeper cracks.
if you still want to use procedurals and if you really aim for a realistic skull texture, fbm can yield som nice cracks, but you need to tweak that properly with extra gradients, or if only nodal, use function inputs gain, bias etc, and that is only for the crack veins, another set should be the larger irregularities, not to strong, 5-10 cm in size, and a third procedural of smaller mm size for the small bumps.

volumetric scattering can give a sense of atmosphere, but in this case..I don´t think it does any difference to the image, other than increasing rendertimes.
Try without it.

Skull model just downloaded from windows 10 built in 3D view library.

skull textured.jpg

Top Bottom