Show your LW2018 Test Renders

Ztreem

Dreamer
totally agree. I was hoping after years of octane rendering i may return native rendering.. But no . oh no no no .. .. it is so slow ... so noisy ... Once denoiser released for Octane .. we are saved completely.

How do you compare the two? Do you compare gpu & cpu that are equal in performance or do you compare apples and oranges? Would be nice to see a comparison that is between cpu & gpu that have the same performance and then see how fast octane really is. I don’t really think Octane is that much faster if you would do a fair comparison. You could also compare the two like this: take a computer with 4 xeon 16 core processors against a nvidia gts250 or equal and see what result you get? :D

OFF

pass:sword
Yep, Kray3 is just around the corner....since 2014 at least.

For today released К3 RC3.
So although the speed of development of K3 can not be called rapid - it is quite comparable with the speed of implementation of LW 2018.
Especially considering the fact that one person works on the development of Kray.

djwaterman

I gotta say it's all starting to get a little clunky with the different switches you have to be aware of in different places, I'd like to see some competent work-flow instructions for best results provided by Newtek at some point, otherwise it starts to look like a dark art, which is not what a PBR rendering set up should be, should be simple for idiots (gamers and such). Pretend I put some sort of emoji on that to diffuse any offence taken.

tyrot

How do you compare the two? Do you compare gpu & cpu that are equal in performance or do you compare apples and oranges? Would be nice to see a comparison that is between cpu & gpu that have the same performance and then see how fast octane really is. I don’t really think Octane is that much faster if you would do a fair comparison. You could also compare the two like this: take a computer with 4 xeon 16 core processors against a nvidia gts250 or equal and see what result you get? :D

ok buy yourself a cheap second hand 780 GTX ... render any scene ... just compare the quality yourself . my point even a cheap second hand GPU can save your business with fraction of cost of a crazy CPU system.

Last edited:

Sekhar

Engineer/Entrepreneur
This is probably as good a thread as any to ask the question, what are people doing to combat chunky AA in bright highlights, for example with a HDR environment sun reflection, or reflection of a distant light/ Sunsky Sun etc? Just not covered in the help, so far my render tests are looking promising but the AA is awful, I don't want to mess around with settings if there is a simple workflow to combat this.

Someone else also mentioned aliasing in highlight areas - would you mind posting a scene that shows this? I'm not seeing any aliasing artifacts in the few tests I did, so not sure what you folks are talking about.

Snosrap

One of my first renders.
TIM11-01_AccentCabinet.jpg

MichaelT

Nice though with the musical symbol :) (standing turn symbol for those who don't see it.) But maybe that is just a funny accident? Looks good though.

From another thread, but I had a bit of fun with volumes:

cloudSoft.png

Snosrap

render time/hardware? what settings used?
4 minutes using an old i7 920 2.67GHZ - Settings were basically what you get when you clear a scene with the exception that I changed the "angle" of the distant light from 0 degrees to 35 and I changed the camera to 1000 x 1000 and turned the minimum samples to 4. I did get some white "speckles" on the wood around the statuette, but I removed those with PS.
Speckles, noise and AA have been a concern for me and hopefully the cause and fix can be figured out.

MichaelT

4 minutes using an old i7 920 2.67GHZ - Settings were basically what you get when you clear a scene with the exception that I changed the "angle" of the distant light from 0 degrees to 35 and I changed the camera to 1000 x 1000 and turned the minimum samples to 4. I did get some white "speckles" on the wood around the statuette, but I removed those with PS.
Speckles, noise and AA have been a concern for me and hopefully the cause and fix can be figured out.

Those speckles are called fireflies. It is an artifact when you get a sample ray with extremely high intensity. You can use clamp in the render settings to limit the effects. The downside to that is that you may lower the overall intensity of the scene as a whole (like putting a dampening effect on it) So sometimes it is better to choose a higher limit, and then fix the image in post. Like in PS or AE for instance. But it is a problem with PBR rendering in general unfortunately.

I am thinking of making a tutorial to help people out on how to deal with it. But maybe Craig is already working on that? :)

Last edited:

Vladimir545

impressive time with min 4 samples+ bruteforce- on no so modern hardware with 1000*1000 res.- well done. and thx for info.

Last edited:

Asticles

Those speckles are called fireflies. It is an artifact when you get a sample ray with extremely high intensity. You can use clamp in the render settings to limit the effects. The downside to that is that you may lower the overall intensity of the scene as a whole (like putting a dampening effect on it) So sometimes it is better to choose a higher limit, and then fix the image in post. Like in PS or AE for instance. But it is a problem with PBR rendering in general unfortunately.

I am thinking of making a tutorial to help people out on how to deal with it. But maybe Craig is already working on that? :)

It would be good to have separated clamping for direct and indirect rays.

Photogram

Hardcore Lightwaver
Here are my first final renders of 2018!

This is a conversion from LW11. I had no problems converting the materials because i was using material nodes in LW11

All the project was done using Delta node, Dilectric and Conductor.

I had add one environement light to get rid of the noise and fine tune the only light for this project.
The majority of the lighting was done using gemometry with luminosity so i converted them from standard to Principle shader.

This is straight out of LW2018 no photoshop! 45 min to 1:15 min per frames (1864X2400 pixels)

I wait for your comments:)

Cheers the new Renderer is just fantastic!Final_Render_000.jpgFinal_Render_001.jpgFinal_Render_002.jpgFinal_Render_003.jpgFinal_Render_004.jpgFinal_Render_005.jpgFinal_Render_006.jpg

Last edited:

Photogram

Hardcore Lightwaver
Theses are the images done in LW11 back in year 2014

At this time i was trying to match the render of this watch done in VRay.

I was very close but i took me more than 50 hours of tweaking....

Now with 2018 that is reduced a lot to about 6 hours...

The renders in 2014 took about 2 hours and now with 2018 this is reduce to about an hour per frames in high resolution.

Montre_Node_OK_LW11_TuneUp5_000c.jpgMontre_Node_OK_LW11_TuneUp5_001b.jpgMontre_Node_OK_LW11_TuneUp5_003b.jpgMontre_Node_OK_LW11_TuneUp5_004b.jpgMontre_Node_OK_LW11_TuneUp5_005b.jpg

jakuzaa

The renders in 2014 took about 2 hours and now with 2018 this is reduce to about an hour per frames in high resolution.

View attachment 139123View attachment 139124View attachment 139125View attachment 139126View attachment 139127

Very nice renders. I know it is a product shot so everything has to be sharp but could you add some DOF (just for fun)?

On my part, quick (only a couple hours of tweaking :D ) interior test render. White walls and no splotches, no colour bleeding, extremly happy overall.

Attachments

• interpolated_13mins.jpg
    interpolated_13mins.jpg
    925.5 KB · Views: 502

BeeVee

ex-LightWave documentation
For people converting from old to new textures, try *just* using PBSDF. It should be able to handle any kind of surface by itself, much like when we could only use LightWave's Surface Editor, pre-Node days, but this time all completely reciprocal (well, mostly).

B

Photogram

Hardcore Lightwaver
Very nice renders. I know it is a product shot so everything has to be sharp but could you add some DOF (just for fun)?

On my part, quick (only a couple hours of tweaking :D ) interior test render. White walls and no splotches, no colour bleeding, extremly happy overall.

Very clean arch viz!
Yay no splotche anymore! it is brute force renders or interpolated?
Thanks for the comments i have planned to do another render with DOF. I will post them when done :)

Top Bottom