Show your LW2018 Test Renders

Schwyhart

My dad was Deaf and was a pastor of a Deaf church here.
I'm hearing, but yes I know ASL. My wife is Deaf and is currently seeking an education PHD. Her goal is to be the President of Gallaudet.

jbrookes

Render presets are kind of pointless, they are totally scene dependent, as in your lights, surfaces, types of geometry so you have to tweak the render settings to suit these, for example just look at the "render tile" page in docs https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display/LW2018/Render+Tile+Size for every scene, you need to try a different tile size, using the wrong one can add 20 to 30 seconds a frame, and its affected by your entire scene and hardware, so whats good for one person, could be bad for another.

Perhaps to some degree.

However, there's nothing wrong with listing the parameter ranges that you've found to be generally most useful.

For example, so far, the optimum Camera Samples settings range (based on my tests so far) appears to be between 16 and 64.

I've noticed that other users have begun posting ranges for settings. This gives people a better starting point rather than wasting time inputting numbers that are way outside of practical ranges.

MichaelT

@Schwyhart : I wonder.. what if you set Transparency, Reflection & Refraction to 1 in the render options? Maybe 2 to refraction if something turns black. Because I wonder if you really need than many bounces for those?

artzgo

I built my entire portfolio at LW 2015. - http://www.render-up.com/products/
I am testing LW 2018 but at the moment I think that this release is very weak.
The entire LW 2018 is not polished, Modeler too.
If this program is not improved in the near future, I do not intend to buy it, unfortunately.

MichaelT

If this program is not improved in the near future, I do not intend to buy it, unfortunately.

If you plan of waiting for a later release.. I would still suggest you upgrade. As it will be more expensive to do so later. Unless of course that difference in money is not much of a concern to you. Then I understand :) Just wanted to mention that, so it could save you a bit of money. Also.. I think it would be helpful if you said what needs improving. Because judging from your portfolio, your words would have some more weight to them.

EDIT: By mention I mean use the feedback option in the help menu :) Posting things here will probably do nothing. It needs to end up in their ticket system.

Last edited:

THIBAULT

Visualization FreeLance

No doubt, you're one of the best Lightwave artists I know. Very nice and interesting site ! And yes, Not convinced by LW 2018 !

artzgo

In my opinion, at this stage, the LW 2018 rendering engine is very weak.
I guess it is even worse than LW 2015.
Maybe NT will improve it in a while, but for the moment I am very disappointed.
3 years of waiting and the release of LW 2018 is dramatic.
I still wish the best for NT and LW, but I can not wait any longer.

I am in the process of changing the software. I'm going to Cinema and Corona or Vray.

sad but true, my patience is over :(

artzgo

If you plan of waiting for a later release.. I would still suggest you upgrade. As it will be more expensive to do so later. Unless of course that difference in money is not much of a concern to you. Then I understand :) Just wanted to mention that, so it could save you a bit of money. Also.. I think it would be helpful if you said what needs improving. Because judging from your portfolio, your words would have some more weight to them.

EDIT: By mention I mean use the feedback option in the help menu :) Posting things here will probably do nothing. It needs to end up in their ticket system.

I do not know what the beta testers were doing ... I found a lot of bugs in LW 2018.1

I wanted to be a beta tester 2 years ago but NT did not want me .... NT unless wili boys who clap their hands as they see a new button in UI;)

prometheus

REBORN

First off all, nice portfolio there.
I think you ...correct me if I am wrong, wrote that the new 2018 was even worse than 2015, that I do not grasp fully since you do not specify where it is worse?
Do you just mean slower, and especially with GI? or do you mean the path tracing quality is worse than the old monte carlo, or do you mean the new principled shaders give you lesser quality in surface realism?

For me I see more realism in surfacing, and being able to set up more realistic ones than previously, and the new lights...better in some ways than the older, though I can acknowledge that VPR iteration has taken a toll to the slower side compared to the old renderer, and it is a bit slower than blenders branched path tracer in cycles I think, so it´s nothing to be hyper excited about, it good to have it in place..they do need to work on optimize speed and nosie quality settings though, and one have to consider wether or not the new renderer and surfaces as a trade of in speed is making it worth while, here many of us may have wanted options to switch back to the old..for instances where you may not need that hyperrealism.

Even though I am a bit irritated of the VPR preview speed with GI, that´s not the thing that irritates me most, it is mostly the lack of UI improvement, and lack of modeler enhancements, both in modeler and layout.
And some of the new volumetrics changes, some is great with the volumetrics, some things needed to mature more before a release in my opinion.
I will put of any decision of upgrading as long as I can, I am in process of testing houdini, and will take some weeks trying the latest modo before I decide, right now it´s a 50/50 chance, I do find myself having created stuff in the discovery edtions that I would like to have saved, but cant...and as I posted before, I couldn´t really have made this image with the old volumetrics, and not at that speed.

I can see myself getting more realistic results much easier further ahead when it comes to ighting and surfacing with the new 2018, I can also see where you could have gotten better surfacing on your artwork, even if they are very good as they are, I think they could have been pushed to another level with the new render and surfacing, though the question is if you could stand the render time?

The new primitive shapes, are interesting for extremely high detail, ground, food, microstuff, nature stuff..but not at a levele of being practical for animated stuff with GI, for product still you may survive the long rendertimes with GI and primitive shapes, but that´s it I think.

Last edited:

RPSchmidt

I looked at your portfolio page and that is some very impressive work.

Forgive me, I don't speak Polish and Google Translate failed to help me... Was everything there rendered using LW 2015's native renderer?

artzgo

I looked at your portfolio page and that is some very impressive work.

Forgive me, I don't speak Polish and Google Translate failed to help me... Was everything there rendered using LW 2015's native renderer?

yup, all may work in LW 2015 native engine

Snosrap

Nice work! While 2018 does have a few issues I am amazed at how good the renderer looks. The lighting system is so beautiful that for most work radiosity is not needed. And shading is a real joy with the new system. To each there own but for $300 it's a bargain IMO. I'm using it now on a product shot list of 28 hi-res images and I have had 0 crashes. Once they polish the renderer to a greater degree and eliminate some of the firefly issues it will be a top renderer.

Chris S. (Fez)

To each there own but for $300 it's a bargain IMO. I'm using it now on a product shot list of 28 hi-res images and I have had 0 crashes. Once they polish the renderer to a greater degree and eliminate some of the firefly issues it will be a top renderer.

Agreed.

MichaelT

In my opinion, at this stage, the LW 2018 rendering engine is very weak.
I guess it is even worse than LW 2015.
Maybe NT will improve it in a while, but for the moment I am very disappointed.
3 years of waiting and the release of LW 2018 is dramatic.
I still wish the best for NT and LW, but I can not wait any longer.

I am in the process of changing the software. I'm going to Cinema and Corona or Vray.

sad but true, my patience is over :(

Yeah, I have VrayForC4D too.. as soon as I realized I can keep the license (tied to my c4d key) forever. I jumped on it. None of that connected to the internet nonsense.
Haven't played with Corona yet though. So I can't say which is better of the two.. but I'm very happy with VRay. It's very fast too, but I suppose you know this already :)

MichaelT

I do not know what the beta testers were doing ... I found a lot of bugs in LW 2018.1

I wanted to be a beta tester 2 years ago but NT did not want me .... NT unless wili boys who clap their hands as they see a new button in UI;)

Yeah I found some too.. But my biggest gripe is that the new renderer really doesn't handle low light situations very well. It seems to be highly sensitive to creating noise.
But I suppose I'm doing things incorrectly as well.. coming from LW2015.

MichaelT

Sure.. but it is also much more prone to noise than the competition. Vray (which is also primarily CPU based) is significantly better equipped to deal with low light conditions, in much shorter rendering times. So there is absolutely room for improvements there. I'm very happy LW 2018 is out though, for the most part I'm happy with many of the improvements that are made. I'm especially happy they seem (so far) to be much more responsive when it comes to new releases. I hope they don't drop the ball there.. even if there only are a few improvements for each release.. keeping that momentum up helps build confidence. That being said.. I also hope they address the noise issue sooner rather than later.. but I also understand that it is a complex issue.

EDIT:

Just to drive my point.. This is what I get in Vray in 8m33s (just imported, created materials, set up light, and camera. nothing else):

Room2Vray8m33s.png

And if I use the GPU I get this after 2m11s:

Room2Vray2m11s.png

Last edited:

Asticles

Hmmmm, you mean vray in brute force only, what nowbody uses? You can only compare it with Lw interpolated (vs vray IM+LC), and in this case lw removes noise quite well.

Anyway, Lw render needs more development. Yes. But it is only the first iteration. Vray have a lot of years of experience and much more people working on it.
In truth, you can't really compare LW with vray.

First, you should compare it with builtin engines only, because this is what it is. Not an specialized engine. Compare it with cinema4d physical (or standard) render, 3dmax scanline render, modo internal render or cycles.

Second, as I said, it's a new engine. It needs to evolve and be more mature.

Regards

Edited: Sorry, didn't remember the vray nomenclature of irradiance map and light cache).

Last edited:

MichaelT

It is bucket rendering, the GPU is set to 2 minutes. The extra 11s are for whatever it is wrapping up at the end.
Vray can be compared.. because it is primarily a CPU based renderer.

In any case.. I won't render anything from the internal renderers (there are four of them)

And also.. if I did.. then yes.. the standard renderer is slower to get clean in low light too. But not as slow.
And perhaps more important.. I actually can get the image to be very clear from noise. Something that (at least for me)
is significantly harder to achieve in the new renderer in LW.

Last edited:
Top Bottom