Setting Chapters, I-Frames, and other oddness

Tom Wood

Amused
I'm loading a VT4 project into TMPGEnc 2.5 and rendering out an .m2v file (Elemental Stream) for use in DVD WS SE. When setting the chapter points, it won't settle on anything other than an I-Frame. Is this right? If so, is there a way to set an I-Frame at specific locations in either VT4 or TMPGEnc?

Also, the timecode is off from what I see in VT4, by a couple of seconds at each chapter point. (22 minute total length for the project) Is that right, the two programs use different timecode?

And, when I do set the chapters, during the preview playback it momentarily shows the first frame of the entire project before jumping to the chapter. This might be a preview anomaly, haven't burned this to disk yet.

Any advice appreciated,

Tom

ScorpioProd

XDCAM HD production
This is why you need Bob Tasa's Chapter Points plug-in. With it you put project markers in your VT-EDIT project where you want chapter points, you output a frame list text file with the plug-in, you load this into TMPGEnc, and you will have I-frames EXACTLY where you need them for chapter points.

You also output a text file of the TC value of the markers, so you can type them right into DVD WS 2.

wvp

Toaster Oven
ScorpioProd said:
...You also output a text file of the TC value of the markers, so you can type them right into DVD WS 2.
FWIW, in DVD-Lab you can simply import the text file - no need to type!

Tom Wood

Amused
It was easier to just delete the material that required precise chapter points. The preview of the first frame of the project is just a previewer glitch, it doesn't do that on the DVD itself.

Eugene - Using the 'CG/Animation' setting in TMPGEnc -and- having the 'Output YUV data as basic...' box unchecked, gives me really good color for my animation project now. :thumbsup: I may have had one or the other set wrong in the past.

TW

Top Bottom