Set shutter to 1/180 for motion blur

slacer

I need to create motion blur to my scene with these settings:
Motion blur must be set to a 1/180 shutter (0.005556 for C4D) (0.3 in Blender)
But I don't know how to get to the correct values in this dialog.
motion blur.PNG

The value of 0.005556 for C4D is the exposure time and to get even close to this value I used the Blur Length.
motion blur 1_180.PNG

I would like to know if there is a direct way to get the 1/180 setting for my 30 fps animation.

I am using LightWave 2020.0.3 on Windows.
Any ideas?

vncnt

180° means Blur Length = 50%, for all frame-rates.

You can use the Shutter Open % to control phase (start of exposure, middle of exposure, end of exposure).
Middle of exposure is needed for things like Match Moving.

Last edited:
I need to create motion blur to my scene with these settings:

But I don't know how to get to the correct values in this dialog.
View attachment 150528
The value of 0.005556 for C4D is the exposure time and to get even close to this value I used the Blur Length.
View attachment 150529

I would like to know if there is a direct way to get the 1/180 setting for my 30 fps animation.

I am using LightWave 2020.0.3 on Windows.
Any ideas?

Hi,
Your way is the right way to set it (but 16.67% Blur Length fits better). ;)
Shutter Open determines when the shutter opens. For example: If the Blur Length is set to 50%, a Shutter Open value of -25% will center the motion blur for each frame. This is important when mixing render with real footage to match motion blur.

Standard for film shooting is a shutter of 180° (which does not mean 1/180 exposure time), which results in different exposure times depending on the frame rate (1/48 for cinema or 1/60 for 30 fps = 0,0167 sec).

However, 1/180 exposure time is very short (the motion blur will be very small)... Normally, this happens at a frame rate of 90 frames per second, in other words, slow motion or of course in photography.

ciao
Thomas

Last edited:

slacer

Hi,
Shutter Open determines when the shutter opens. For example: If the Blur Length is set to 50%, a Shutter Open value of -25% will center the motion blur for each frame. This is important when mixing render with real footage to match motion blur.

Standard for film shooting is a shutter of 180° (which does not mean 1/180 exposure time), which results in different exposure times depending on the frame rate (1/48 for cinema or 1/60 for 30 fps = 0,0167 sec).

However, 1/180 exposure time is very short (the motion blur will be very small)... Normally, this happens at a frame rate of 90 frames per second, in other words, slow motion or of course in photography.

ciao
Thomas
I am going with 16,67 for Blur Length. It is just a minor blur but it fits to bullet dymanics used in my scene.

Thank you both for you help.

ciao
Michael

Ma3rk

Curmudgeon in Training
I just wanted to comment on a couple things. Essentially what Thomas was saying in that you normally wouldn't want to shorten exposure time as that reduces motion blur, but that's not always the case. I recently did a shot where 6% looked the best.

What I really wanted to mention though is to check those settings with your rendering Camera each time you open the scene. I was having a problem that they weren't wanting to save with the scene file (2019) even if I created a key frame.

vncnt

My internal cpu cores destabilized completely after debugging my latest Legato Send To NRC plugin.

Btw instead of phase shifting with Shutter Open %, you could also turn on Fractional Frames and move relevant Envelopes in time.

Top Bottom