Selective reflection object..ray switch node

gerardstrada

Time mode is irrelevant in this context unless you plug a constant or envelope to the Time input parameter (for replacing or offsetting current LW time). High Parameter in Clamp node should be 1.0 in order to get 100% transparency.

Just in case, I'm attaching a very simple LW 11.6 scene. Hope it works in v10.

Gerardo

Attachments

• RefExcl.rar
    7.2 KB · Views: 271

sampei

Time mode is irrelevant in this context unless you plug a constant or envelope to the Time input parameter (for replacing or offsetting current LW time). High Parameter in Clamp node should be 1.0 in order to get 100% transparency.

Just in case, I'm attaching a very simple LW 11.6 scene. Hope it works in v10.

Gerardo

Thanks for the scene Gerardo, going to try it now. High Parameter is 1.0 (as default) I edited the typo...sorry about that.

edit_this is what renders out from LW 10.1 (layout told me I didn't have "node handler" not sure if relevant):

I think that for filtering further bounces,
you may need to check "A Greater or Equal to B".

Denis.

Hi Denis going to try that too, thanks for the input and for the awesome nodes.

edit_no luck, tried using "A Greater or Equal to B" on both Logic nodes at the same time, then on just (1) and (2) separately and got the following:

going to try older versions tonight and report back..

Last edited:

gerardstrada

edit_this is what renders out from LW 10.1 (layout told me I didn't have "node handler" not sure if relevant):
Nope. Not relevant. But result is not what is got in LW 11.6. You should get no reflection of the ball in the floor and its reflection on the floor in the mirror like in the sample:

If no Item Info version makes any difference, could be something related with LW version directly. I'd try with a previous version of db&w Extended SpotInfo as well, just in case.

Gerardo

sampei

tried some older versions of db&w and DPont but found no definitive solution, so at this point it must be something in LW 10.1 that's not adding up. In any case:

- versions of db&w previous to 2.1 work as expected but only in VPR and with minor artifacts while in 2.1 only the reflection in the mirror is canceled but the one in the floor is still there (also in VPR). On F9 renders no reflection or shadow is canceled in any version (as if no setup is applied). All of this using it in conjunction with DP Kit for LW 9.6-10 64-bit.

- using other versions of DP Kit either produces some strange artifacts or the nodes cannot be loaded

- tried combining with TA Extended Spot Info with no ideal results

..don't really know what else to try, I suppose it must be a LW 10 problem.

Got the discovery LW 11.6.3 installed and the scene renders out correctly. I've added the shadow to the setup by subtracting Shadow Ray ( spot info ) from Ray Source ( extended spot info) with no issues. However I'm getting some faint artifacts in the shadow pass (can only be seen if the shadow is canceled) and in the reflection pass (see picture below, it's barely visible ). Tried messing around with the clamp but that only made it worse...any ideas ? (the artifact was there from the beginning so unrelated to the shadow ray addition)

gerardstrada

Got the discovery LW 11.6.3 installed and the scene renders out correctly. I've added the shadow to the setup by subtracting Shadow Ray ( spot info ) from Ray Source ( extended spot info) with no issues. However I'm getting some faint artifacts in the shadow pass (can only be seen if the shadow is canceled) and in the reflection pass (see picture below, it's barely visible ). Tried messing around with the clamp but that only made it worse...any ideas ? (the artifact was there from the beginning so unrelated to the shadow ray addition)
A pity that this is not working in LW 10, but glad is working in last LW version. As for the artifact, that's a portion of the blurred reflection on the floor. This portion is the intersection between the first ball reflection (from the actual ball) and the second ball reflection (from the reflected ball in the mirror). The way to solve this was provided by Denis just a couple of posts before:

I think that for filtering further bounces,
you may need to check "A Greater or Equal to B".

Denis.

Make this in the Logic node for the bounces :)

Gerardo

sampei

you are correct Gerardo, now it renders out perfectly ! thank you for being so patient, a true samaritan :beerchug:
ps.if anyone from newtek reads this, it wouldn't be a bad idea to include a ray-tracing tab in the object properties panel with exclusion switches for shadows, reflections, transparency etc. extending to every object in the scene.

lardbros

Not so newbie member
you are correct Gerardo, now it renders out perfectly ! thank you for being so patient, a true samaritan :beerchug:
ps.if anyone from newtek reads this, it wouldn't be a bad idea to include a ray-tracing tab in the object properties panel with exclusion switches for shadows, reflections, transparency etc. extending to every object in the scene.

Yep... I'd second this! Would love all these ray trace settings per object or per surface!!

Top Bottom