Script Idea...

forte

I really would love a script that would require a user to create a file and save it before they can begin editing their project. Kind of like when you open a new project in like MS Visual C++, you have to save the project before you can do any work on it. This would really help because my High School video production class uses toaster and most people can't seem to grasp the concept of saving a file. If noone really wants to make this script, could someone please direct me to a good scripting tutorial or other reference material that would help me make it? I really appreciate it. Thanks.

bradl

Are We There Yet?
I agree that a change is needed. Having the Untitled project automatically created and allowing this unsaved project to actually be saved is weird. Any Untitled unsaved project should be 'lost' when you close it or shut down VT, of course with a reminder that you should save it or lose all data, like nearly every other program on planet earth... although no one has ever said VT is or should be like any other program on planet earth...

RomainR

Are we there yet?
I like the fact that you can jump right in and start creating.

You should glue a post it on the monitor to remind students they must save.

Plus you usually get a pop up that asks you if you want to save before closing. That should be a good clue.

forte

You don't understand...

... how stupid some of these kids are... it's really quite disgusting...

I have been fighting for months to make them believe that it is in fact easier to press 'f' and 'spacebar' as opposed to clicking "Fade DSK" and "Auto". For some reason they all prefer to click fade then auto really fast. As if it is so devastatingly hard to remember F is fade and spacebar is auto. IDIOTS!

Last edited:

bradl

Are We There Yet?
But you end up with lots of Untitled projects as the weeks go by, no big deal I guess...

RomainR

Are we there yet?
You should try a doing a contest, the one that wears out the F key wins.

What would be cool is a utility that would wipe out the untitled projects.

Jim Capillo

VT[5] SpeedEdit Pilot
Re: You don't understand...

forte said:
... how stupid some of these kids are... it's really quite disgusting...

I have been fighting for months to make them believe that it is in fact easier to press 'f' and 'spacebar' as opposed to clicking "Fade DSK" and "Auto". For some reason they all prefer to click fade then auto really fast. As if it is so devastatingly hard to remember F is fade and spacebar is auto. IDIOTS!

Having taught many classes of high school age kids over the years, the answer is obvious to me.......

Tell them YOU like to use "Fade DSK" & "Auto" and I'll guarantee they'll soon be using "f" and the spacebar.

:D :p

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Hmmm ... maybe before the next semester starts, you could dummy up the Switcher skin commands so that the DSK only refelcts the active state, but does not issue any commands. then they'd HAVE to use thekeystrokes.

forte

soooooooooooo about that Toasteredit script...

Kinda got off topic here. Also where are the development resources for VT[2]. We are upgrading in about a week, but I'm impatient as hell.

bradl

Are We There Yet?
forte said:
Also where are the development resources for VT[2].

You mentioned upgrading so I assume you mean VT3. You can find the VT3 SDK here. There you will find the SDK and the Script Docs, but the SDK already has the docs in it.

Top Bottom