Screamernet Set Up

Chris Partridge

Okay...here's a challenge. I've looked at a few tutorials for setting screamernet up to run on two PCs in a network, but I have found them to be rather confusing. The manual isn't particularly helpful either.

All I need is a basic what to do list of what folders to create and where on each machine and go from there. I found explanations of why it is done only serves to confuse. Any help gratefully received!

Matt

Valiant NewTeKnight
Bear with me, I'm in the process of making a video tutorial on how to setup ScreamerNet, which hopefully will clear up any confusion with it!

:)

Chris Partridge

Thanks Matt, that would be great. Also, surely some bright spark could create some kind of little installer to get this going automatically. Hint, hint NewTek! :)

Matt

Valiant NewTeKnight
I agree, it should be much easier to setup, although once the penny drops you do wonder what all the fuss was about!

Chris Partridge

Matt said:
I agree, it should be much easier to setup, although once the penny drops you do wonder what all the fuss was about!

Yes, no doubt. I printed off your excellent tutorial and read it on the bus home. Just to be clear, yours is excellent, I just wanted a "quick and dirty" way of getting it sorted, without the explanation :)

In fact, thinking about this more, here's what I'd like to see in an ideal world. An installer which only requires me to input values to these fields:

1. Where do you want the command folder?

2. Where do you want to the content folder?

3. Where on your network do you want the Node 1 files?

4. Any more nodes?

Then I press install and it sorts it all out for me!

BTW, I think I know where I am getting confused: its the \\\MattXP thing ... I assume I put in C:\\ or whatever which is the hard drive location.

Matt

Valiant NewTeKnight
Thanks!

An installer is a good idea (for those who don't want to use a thrid party controller) wonder why no has done it before.

You only use c:\ etc. for local paths, if you want to access a computer across a network (even if it's your own) you need to use UNC naming, which is the \\yourcomputer\screamernet etc. convention.

Chris Partridge

Okay, installed the butterfly render software and tried that --- after a bit of fiddling it seemed to work. One problem though, how can I get the host (controlling) machine to render as well as my second PC, node 1? As far as I can tell, only the node 1 is rendering, which is a bit pointless really.

Top Bottom