Saving multiple Object increments......?

Markc

ack ack
Is there a way to save all scene objects as an incremental version, rather than doing one at a time?

Markc

ack ack
No, I have 38 objects in a scene.
Have made changes to all surfaces, but wanted to keep the previous versions, just in case.

In retrospect, I just copied the Objects folder, before saving all.

Wondered whether there was a plugin which could save all objects at the next version, rather than just one object.

Rayek

I use DSynchronize to automatically backup a project folder to a different drive while working as well as saving an automatic backup of the previous saved version. It maintains an infinite number of versions of each file in the project folder. Filters can be set up to control the behaviour (not all files should be tracked, for example).

DSynchronize works either on command by clicking the "Synchronize" button, or works real-time and no user-intervention is required. In the latter case it will keep update the backup and adding new versions whenever the user saves/changes a file in a project folder.

Freeware!

raymondtrace

Founding member
...but wanted to keep the previous versions, just in case.

...Wondered whether there was a plugin which could save all objects at the next version, rather than just one object.
That's what the manual and auto save functions of LightWave do. There's no need for extra plugins. However, should any of us have an older LW release, there are 20+ years of free plugins that help with saving (see Mike Green, Chris Peterson, TrueArt, etc).

Rayek has a good approach as well. External tools are great for tracking the evolution of all creative products, not just in LW. I can easily "commit" scene and object file changes in Windows Explorer (via Tortoise SVN), where various stages of development can be managed...and revert to any previous version when something blows up. Version control like this is especially useful in collaborative productions.

Markc

ack ack
I use DSynchronize to automatically backup a project folder to a different drive while working as well as saving an automatic backup of the previous saved version. It maintains an infinite number of versions of each file in the project folder. Filters can be set up to control the behaviour (not all files should be tracked, for example).

DSynchronize works either on command by clicking the "Synchronize" button, or works real-time and no user-intervention is required. In the latter case it will keep update the backup and adding new versions whenever the user saves/changes a file in a project folder.

Freeware!

I have something similar to this natively on Mac, time machine backs up every hour....(y)

lertola2

skeptic
Also, not quite what you are looking for, but if you turn on Auto Save Scene and Auto Save Objects in Lightwave 2020's Preferences/Gen tab you will have a history of the various states of your project saved in a folder called Backup in your content directory. I have mine set to save a scene backup every 1 minute and objects backup every 5 minutes. This feature has the intelegence not to save if nothing has changed, so its not duplicating all the objects every 5 minutes. This is very handy to recover previous states of objects, or if you have a crash and haven't saved in a while. Note that LW 2015 has a bug in this feature that causes the scene backup to stop working if you save scene increment. So if I am working in LW 2015 I am in the habit of reloading the scene after I save an incremental version. I believe this bug is fixed in LW 2020.

Top Bottom