RS422 Deck Control, BC via SX-84

tmon

Have the RS422 Deck Control and BC issues been resolved with the newer SX-84's? I know that we had CONFIRMED lack of reliablity problems with our SX-8's (never "officially" acknowledged by NewTek, btw), to the point that we abandoned attempting deck control and BC via the BOB(s). If this had been corrected via firmware, I wasn't aware of it, so we just bypassed the SX-8s' serial control connection in order to achieve solid RS-422 control.

Is Deck Control and BC is reliable and consistent enough with the newer SX-84's enough to go that route (we just got a new one in). Otherwise, I'll get another rosetta stone and as with our other two systems go straight to the deck(s) via the workstation serial port.

Just wondering.

James Moore

Wow, this is an old post but maybe you folks can shed some light on the matter for me:

Currently I’ve been using a Rosetta Stone cable to control my deck. I’ve picked up a second deck that I want to control and I thought I’d try out the SX 84 to control them both but I can’t get it working. What am I doing wrong?

I’ve tried using the Rosetta Stone cable to go from the computer to SX84 and then a 9 pin serial cable to go to a deck. I select the RS422 control in “Type” and I select “Bob RS422-1 on Com 1” under source. No go.

I’ve tried using a 9 pin serial cable to go from the Computer to the SX84 and then tried both a Rosetta Stone 232/242 cable to go to a deck and a standard 9 pin serial cable. In either case I can’t get it to control a deck through the SX84.

The manual says to simply hook up the SX-84 to the computer with a straight 9 pin serial cable but you need a Rosetta Stone like cable to go direct from the computer to a deck. My understanding was there was no 232-422 conversion in the SX-84.

I’m confused…

Laimiuz256

I'm new wit Toaster, but if I understand well you do not need any external cable. You connect SX-8 to computer using four cables ? Right ? So you need simply connect 9pin cable from any of three RS-422 connectors on SX-8 to you deck. I'm not sure that I'm right, but you can try. I try later with my BetaSP too and write a post.

Last edited:

James Moore

Blaine from Video Hardware came up the solution for me.

You need to use a straight through 9 pin serial cable from the computer to the Serial port (in addition to those other four cables) on the SX-84 and then straight through 9 pin cables to the decks.

Top Bottom