RS-8 for VT[5]

Blairness

I presume something like this is in the pipeline, but I thought I'd mention it anyway seems it appears no-one else has.

progressive

Authorized Reseller
There is an RS-8 in the works for the VT-5 and TriCaster Studio. These will both have specific components that allow for more versitile control of the new features in each unit. The unofficial word is the they may be ready in Q1 of next year.
Also there is and will be no upgrade path so it will depend on who you purchase them from but you will most likely have to purchase the new unit when it comes out if you already have the current RS-8.

Hope this helps.

VideoBob2000

NLE Pro / New to VT[4/5]
Blairness said:
I presume something like this is in the pipeline, but I thought I'd mention it anyway seems it appears no-one else has.

Uh ... help me out here ...

Does the RS-8 NOT work in the VT[5]?
Or does it work, but there's a bigger, better version expected to be developed?

Blairness

VideoBob2000 said:
Uh ... help me out here ...

Does the RS-8 NOT work in the VT[5]?
Or does it work, but there's a bigger, better version expected to be developed?

According to my local dealer the RS-8 is NOT compatible with the VT[5]. I'm assuming now due to progressive's reply, that neither the RS-8 or TC VM are compatible with the TC studio either.

PIZAZZ

NewTek System Integrator
Blairness said:
According to my local dealer the RS-8 is NOT compatible with the VT[5]. I'm assuming now due to progressive's reply, that neither the RS-8 or TC VM are compatible with the TC studio either.

That information is not correct. The VM or RS8 (same insides) work with either the Studio or the VT5 perfectly. Your dealer is mistaken.

Blairness

PIZAZZ said:
That information is not correct. The VM or RS8 (same insides) work with either the Studio or the VT5 perfectly. Your dealer is mistaken.

Thanks for that. I don't know why my local dealer would say that it's not!? :question:

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
Perhaps because something more capable is currently being designed.

hhsbroadcasting

RS-8 works fine with VT5

RS-8 works just fine -- however VT5 utilizes a new effects bus (formerly the ineffectual key bus). In the VT4 the effects bus was generally locked to the preview bus and as such was basically useless. Now the effects bus is a discreet bus but the RS-8 does not have a bus row for it. I'm ASSUMING the biggest upgrade for the new RS-8 will be a third row of buttons which support the Effects bus.

Keith Nealy

Jef, what's the chance of making an aux box for the RS8 so we all don't have to by new swicher panels?
Seems like a USB box working in tandem might work.

Keith

kltv

And it needs more buttons! At least 12 inputs on the program/preview rows... I'd also like a dedicated button to reset the transition to a dissolve instead of whatever crazy DVE I might have loaded. It would also be really slick if the input labels from the switcher interface were on little LED displays, but that would probably be a little spendy.

Kris

PIZAZZ

NewTek System Integrator
Keith Nealy said:
Jef, what's the chance of making an aux box for the RS8 so we all don't have to by new swicher panels?
Seems like a USB box working in tandem might work.

Keith

You mean like this one?

Easy. Give me a shout for specific needs. The controller is completely configurable based on the individual's requirements.

Kris, We could easily do what you ask with the DVE Reset button. That is a good idea. I have been looking into the LED or LCD based buttons. Expensive the little buggers are. We could build one with them but the R&D costs along with the material costs would put the end unit pricing somewhere around the 5000USD mark. Anything is possible but I just don't know how many users would drop 5k on a controller for a 5-10k box.

Besides I would rather just use a Lemur/Dexter like the one below.... Price is around 3000USD with unlimited configurability. You would also need the MIDI plugin from youngmonkey in order to use the Lemur. Contact me for more details.

VideoBob2000

NLE Pro / New to VT[4/5]
Hey, Jef ... what about a programmable USB Button Box what we configure ourselves? You got anything like that?

VideoBob2000

NLE Pro / New to VT[4/5]
Programmable Keypads ...

OK, I did a little searching and found this:
http://www.piengineering.com/xkeys.php

With the exception of the T-Bar, it seems like just about anything you need to do could be mapped to whatever key configuration you like. Keycaps can be custom printed. You can also re-cap 2 or 4 of the keys to be larger (double vertical, double horizontal, or quad) so that frequently used buttons are larger & easier to hit. There are even jog-shuttle & joystick controllers.

Apparently they can do custom jobs as well (their custom page actually illustrates a video switcher panel & T-bars).

Anyone have experience with these products?

PIZAZZ

NewTek System Integrator
VideoBob2000 said:
OK, I did a little searching and found this:
http://www.piengineering.com/xkeys.php

With the exception of the T-Bar, it seems like just about anything you need to do could be mapped to whatever key configuration you like. Keycaps can be custom printed. You can also re-cap 2 or 4 of the keys to be larger (double vertical, double horizontal, or quad) so that frequently used buttons are larger & easier to hit. There are even jog-shuttle & joystick controllers.

Apparently they can do custom jobs as well (their custom page actually illustrates a video switcher panel & T-bars).

Anyone have experience with these products?

Well....Yes we have experience. I am an OEM partner with PI. I use many of their components in my custom projects. If you would like to spend HOURS, DAYS, and lots of lost hair then just buy direct.

If you want to tap into our experience in programming the boards with all the workarounds needed for VT. (and let me tell you there are TONS of workarounds needed) You could buy the necessary gear from us.

Brian, Yes I do indeed know how to program for the effects bus. Give me a shout and I will hook you up with a working layout.

VideoBob2000

NLE Pro / New to VT[4/5]
PIZAZZ said:
... I am an OEM partner with PI. I use many of their components in my custom projects ... Yes I do indeed know how to program for the effects bus. Give me a shout and I will hook you up with a working layout.

Great! I was hoping you could use those. They seem like good economical alternatives to the expensive RS-8 box. I guess the thousands of dollars tag scared me a little -- must be for those cool glowing boxes.

So how much for those two boxes with just buttons?

PIZAZZ

NewTek System Integrator
VideoBob2000 said:
Great! I was hoping you could use those. They seem like good economical alternatives to the expensive RS-8 box. I guess the thousands of dollars tag scared me a little -- must be for those cool glowing boxes.

So how much for those two boxes with just buttons?

Contact me directly for pricing. Every project is a little different to program.

sales at pizazzme dot com
or
409-860-9283 and press 2 for sales

VideoBob2000

NLE Pro / New to VT[4/5]
PIZAZZ said:
Contact me directly for pricing.

I did, and I'm very pleased with what I heard in products, pricing, flexibility, and support practices. I just wanted to post a note here to encourage others to contact you as well, if they have needs a little outside what the standard Newtek options fulfill.

Blairness

I presume the new Tricaster accessories (eg. LiveControl™) are compatible with the VT-5?

On a completely different note, what's the difference between the RS-8 and VM?

Top Bottom