Rotate group of selected items as one?

vncnt

I'm trying to find the best approach to rotate a group of selected items as one, around a single pivot point.

More like Modeler: rotate around Mouse, or Selection etc.
I want to keep the freedom of moving/rotating each controller individually after rotating.

For now, I am rotating/moving each limb of a Genoma rig separately, but this becomes very time consuming.
If I animate a common parent I have to counter animate the items that I don't want to move, so that's not a proper solution.

Reactions: OFF

slacer

Don't you think there is a plugin for this task already?
There are so many plugins, I just don't know where to look for certain features if I need them.
But animating a group of objects should be covered by a bunch of plugins, I think.

I don't know if this could help you to animate multiple objects around one common null object and if you could use an envelope per target object to modify the impact from 0-100%. This way you could manipulate the rotation effect per object delayed or in sync.

Last edited:

vncnt

Thanks guys.

Good to know there is no internal LW solution. I'll have a look at those videos.

I have to admit I've been experimenting with Legato Selector. I'm using that plugin al the time anyway, with 3 characters.
When its Setup mode is turned off, the markers become controllers, according to their designated tools. But that has been implemented for single items only.

So far I found out that it needs a proxy line drawing to interactively determine the rotation angle, then execute the 2D rotation of each item on mouseup.
This solution would work well in my situation and workflow.

I don't understand why these basic type of animation tools were never built for LW by NT in all these years.

I don't understand why these basic type of animation tools were never built for LW by NT in all these years.
the split app challenge (2 different codes) + the Core mistake caused huge delays.
lots of tools/ functions are missing.
that said, few apps are perfect.

vncnt

If they had listened better to animators, LW would have been more popular with that target group.
These issues are relatively easy/inexpensive to solve and belong in our toolbox.

Anyway, I just posted an update of Legato Selector:
https://forums.newtek.com/threads/legato-selector.165236/page-2#post-1622118

[EDIT] There may be issues with (Genoma) rig compatibility, especially with controllers that rotate or move in opposite directions.
Therefore I shall extend the existing Controller Properties dialog (RMB-click marker in Setup mode) to support alternative rotation setups, and try to apply this information during group rotation.

mProp1.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom