Request: more blending modes besides mix

Snu

Really the only feature in vt5 that i REALLY wish was there is additive/subtractive/multiply/exclusion/etc blending. In fact, not having additive blending has been a huge pain on several occasions, and im having to put off some things i want to do until vt supports this.
Also known as "transfer modes" apparently.
This has been requested several times over the last few years it seems, is there any hope of this feature showing up?
Is it possible that BobFx could add this somehow?
Or should i just try using another editor for those parts? Even Cinelerra (freeware linux editor) supports other blending modes.

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
In fact, not having additive blending has been a huge pain on several occasions, and im having to put off some things i want to do until vt supports this.
That's a shame. Although not realtime, and a bit shaky on anything but very short bits, Aura offers Add, Substract, Multiply, etc., etc. (not to pooh-pooh the idea of realtime equivalents.)

C

CreatvGnius

That's a shame. Although not realtime, and a bit shaky on anything but very short bits, Aura offers Add, Substract, Multiply, etc., etc.
As Eugene can confirm, Sony Vegas Pro 8 is an awesome addition to any VT and SpeedEDIT user's toolkit, in this regard! for transfer modes (and on each video "track" at that, for fantastic compositing plus much, much more. Transfer modes in an editor? Vegas Pro 8 is utterly *oooall-sum!*:hey:
-PeterG
p.s.: "Hmmm. 'Wonder if the consumer-priced and novice-friendly version (Vegas Studio, about $99 bucks, at Best Buy has this capability. Ah. Likely not! But who knows...:rolleyes:

Snu

Interesting... ive never used aura before. Its rather slow, I dont think its actually making use of multiple cores...
But anyway, how can you do additive/subtractive blending with it? Ive looked through the manual and experimented with the program, all I can find is keying and tandard mix opacity like in vt.
Basically, what i would want to do is take a clip, set it to lighten only with a transparent layer in the background, then render it out with an alpha channel so it would be something vt could use (maybe i didnt explain this very well, but i cant think of how else to put it right now).

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
Basically, what i would want to do is take a clip, set it to lighten only with a transparent layer in the background, then render it out with an alpha channel so it would be something vt could use (maybe i didnt explain this very well, but i cant think of how else to put it right now).

Aura is 'render as you go', not 'preview and then flatten' ... so I'd experiment with a couple very short segments first were I in your shoes (if you happen to have Mirage, you can preview and adjust this in realtime using the Keyframer instead of Merge). That said, let's continue.

I'm not sure what, if anything, you might intend to have on the transparent bg layer (keep in mind that all Aura layers are always fully transparent, unless you put something on them) - you'll need 'something' in it for this to work (in Aura, "Adding" something to nothing still equals nothing) but the workflow goes like this:

Load or create something on the bottom layer. Do likewise in an upper layer. Drag the upper layer's thumbnail icon in the left-hand column of the Layer Panel (timeline) onto the one for the lower layer. When the Merge dialog pops up, select a "Merge mode" - the common 'transfer modes' are there.

Turn on "Erase source" in the dialog if you want the upper layer to be gone after the merge. Use the layer Opacity slider for the upper layer (in the extreme-left column) to control the 'amount' of the merge effect.

In the example below, the text was in an upper layer, the ferry below - merges were performed according to the descriptions.

Top Bottom