Renaming Mix outputs TC2

HristoLichev

From some time( maybe from 7-4-210108 releace) I lost the ability to rename MIX outputs. Do I miss something or this is no longer available?

JayTkey

I created an account just to comment in this. It's a big deal that I cannot rename mixes. I have a lot of different mixes going to various locations and they are never called "Mix x" and it puts me at risk of breaking my show. Please add back the ability to rename mixes!!

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
I don't have a recent TC on hand just now to confirm this, but assuming it is as described, I'd call this a bug. Please file a report.

That is what I heard from tech support :

This is intended. Unfortunately there are a lot of complications to implement that so it does not break current workflows or cause NDI sources to be lost (since it matches the output name).

I think it's related to this line in one of the latest release notes. Crazy this is mentioned as a bug fix, while actually it's a feature removal.

Bug Fixes : Corrected an issue where renaming Mix outputs would cause local Mix input sources to not show.

HristoLichev

That is what I heard from tech support :

This is intended. Unfortunately there are a lot of complications to implement that so it does not break current workflows or cause NDI sources to be lost (since it matches the output name).

I think it's related to this line in one of the latest release notes. Crazy this is mentioned as a bug fix, while actually it's a feature removal.

Bug Fixes : Corrected an issue where renaming Mix outputs would cause local Mix input sources to not show.
This is very sad! I hope that in future Newtek will find a way to correct this. I think it is unacceptable to can not rename your outputs. In whole world in video production society Mix/PGM is use for primary output name and other outputs are called auxiliary outputs.

This is actually extremely production critical, especially when you have multiple tricasters on the same network. Then this becomes very confusing, here improvements must be made not the opposite that has been done in this case

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
Can those in this thread offer some comments on the sort of practical issues this is causing you ? Please provide details. Is it a problem during export, does it involve file naming, in what way is similar channel names on the network posing problems, etc.? Please explain how this is tripping you up. And if you've already opened a Fogbugz case, please include the case number so I can look deeper.

AdamKempenich

I don’t have a FogBugz for this, but this makes it especially confusing with networks with high numbers of NDI sources, to pull the correct feed (suddenly, your 3 TC2 units have the exact same naming scheme…). If nothing else, being able to label mixes (WebCall, Master, Clean, Replay, Etc…) was very useful.

I assume mislabeling Mix1 was causing issues for web calls? If that’s the case, I’d be fine with locking Mix 1, and unlocking the rest…

On my side , I can live with the NDI Mixes from the TCs having the same name over the network, I was more interested in possibility to name mixes , audio aux outs etc into the tricaster session, so the operator knows the purpose for these outputs.
I understand the naming was removed to avoid breaking NDI connections over different tricaster projects, when projects have different out naming schemes. So, for me , fixed name over NDI is fine, but naming in the project would be very useful.

Jerome

VDOpickle

This is actually extremely production critical, especially when you have multiple tricasters on the same network. Then this becomes very confusing, here improvements must be made not the opposite that has been done in this case

I fully agree. Losing the ability to name Mix outputs has made it more challenging and time consuming when needing to reconfigure Mic sends. Before the naming option was removed, my operators could now easily and quickly see which Mix out was going where and route appropriately. Now they have to try and remember or look at a cheat sheet each time they need to change the Mix outputs. I would say this is a critical need, as every second during a live production is very important. To be honest, even a local label that doesn't transfer to a network name, would work for me (though all the way through is ultimately the better option).

Thank you for considering a way to work the naming back into the workflow.

Top Bottom