Red pixel errors in renders

Axis3d

Lightwave User Since 1990
Using your settings alone, did not help me. I got multiple red dots on frame 0.
That, plus I noticed that the overall lighting looks different.

In Sensei's post #35 above, the lighting looks like bright sun. His post with the HDR Exposure plugin helped the red pixels, but changed the lighting to look more overcast, with no sun/shadow anymore.

Maybe instead of adding the HDR Exposure plugin to the image in the Image Editor, you could instead use the "Limit dynamic range" in the Post processing tab. You could try experimenting with the upper limit until the red dots go away.

slacer

That, plus I noticed that the overall lighting looks different.

In Sensei's post #35 above, the lighting looks like bright sun. His post with the HDR Exposure plugin helped the red pixels, but changed the lighting to look more overcast, with no sun/shadow anymore.

Maybe instead of adding the HDR Exposure plugin to the image in the Image Editor, you could instead use the "Limit dynamic range" in the Post processing tab. You could try experimenting with the upper limit until the red dots go away.
This seems to work with the default settings of 0.0 and 1.0 for minimun and maximum.

Thanks for the input and help everyone... this forum is just the best!

I think the best solution is for me to fix that damn HDRI image somehow. @Sensei I have no idea where that bajillion percent red is coming from! Crazy.

But when I originally made that HDRI image, it looked good to the eye but when used for rendering the objects came out totally luminous red - on closer inspection I found JUST ONE tiny red pixel hidden in the image that must have been incredibly bright and was acting like a light source. I got rid of that pixel and thought things were fixed.

Im guessing there is another sneaky red pixel hidden somewhere in that lens flare / sun area of the image.

Sensei

TrueArt Support
@scott.newman.ct
Multiply HDRI by 0.01 or 0.001
The only visible pixel that will remain will be the one with high value. Record it's x and y, and reload image and change value.

@scott.newman.ct
Multiply HDRI by 0.01 or 0.001
The only visible pixel that will remain will be the one with high value. Record it's x and y, and reload image and change value.
Good suggestion

I first tried exposing the image waaaay down in After Effects... I cant see any stray red pixels.

Then I tried the multiply method you described inside Lightwave. Even if I go all the way down to 0.000001 where the "sun" starts to go dim, I still dont see any stray red pixel.

Any ideas? Or perhaps youve seen things differently on your side?

Its location is visible in post #35. I pointed it by the arrow.
@Sensei ...maybe Im misunderstanding. What I mean is I cant find any overly bright red pixels in my original HDRI image. Those two spots on the sides of the HDRI image preview in your light panel are the "sun" in the image. But even when I expose the image right down to where the sun becomes grey in colour, I cant visually see any pixels that are popping.

However when I drag the mouse over the sun I do get varying values for each pixel, they definitely arent uniform. So Im assuming there must be some overly bright data in some of the pixels inside the sun even though they dont show up visually?

Top Bottom