Recording in TC 860 causes black frames to appear every few seconds on program out.

bbailey

At the football stadium I noticed black frames, only occasionally during the first game of the season, on the PGM output of my 860 which I was recording into an AJA KiPRO. That same PGM output was feeding the stadium video screens and the same black frames were appearing there as well. I assumed it was the AJA KiPRO HDD. We've done several games since then without a problem. I always record in the 860 as a backup to the KiPRO.

This past Friday we were getting ready for the game. I'd already started recording with the KiPRO as well as the 860. I was notified that the stadium video screen was showing black frames every 5 seconds or so. I had time so I re-booted the 860. We could see that the black frames were gone. So I hit record on the 860 and, immediately, the black frames re-appeared. I de-selected the recording in the 860 and the black frames disappeared. So, I went with just the AJA KiPRO as the recorder for the game. No backup.

I've made an assumption. I haven't made a new project session since just before 2020. I haven't seen any problems so I just let it ride. I've made lots of settings in my 2020 project session that I still use. Anyway, I'm guessing I needed a new clean project session. So I made a new clean project session but won't be able to test it until tomorrow.

My question is, was I right about needing a new clean project session or am I going to possibly see the same problem if I try to record in the 860 tomorrow?

Jmcnally

At the football stadium I noticed black frames, only occasionally during the first game of the season, on the PGM output of my 860 which I was recording into an AJA KiPRO. That same PGM output was feeding the stadium video screens and the same black frames were appearing there as well. I assumed it was the AJA KiPRO HDD. We've done several games since then without a problem. I always record in the 860 as a backup to the KiPRO.

This past Friday we were getting ready for the game. I'd already started recording with the KiPRO as well as the 860. I was notified that the stadium video screen was showing black frames every 5 seconds or so. I had time so I re-booted the 860. We could see that the black frames were gone. So I hit record on the 860 and, immediately, the black frames re-appeared. I de-selected the recording in the 860 and the black frames disappeared. So, I went with just the AJA KiPRO as the recorder for the game. No backup.

I've made an assumption. I haven't made a new project session since just before 2020. I haven't seen any problems so I just let it ride. I've made lots of settings in my 2020 project session that I still use. Anyway, I'm guessing I needed a new clean project session. So I made a new clean project session but won't be able to test it until tomorrow.

My question is, was I right about needing a new clean project session or am I going to possibly see the same problem if I try to record in the 860 tomorrow?
I think you are right about the session going bad. I’ve started getting black frames on an NDI input of PowerPoint slides. I‘m on the latest version for the Mini 4K and have been using a session for half a year. I’ve seen issues go away with a fresh session so I’m going to do the same and hope it fixes my problem.

Jmcnally

I think you are right about the session going bad. I’ve started getting black frames on an NDI input of PowerPoint slides. I‘m on the latest version for the Mini 4K and have been using a session for half a year. I’ve seen issues go away with a fresh session so I’m going to do the same and hope it fixes my problem.
Unfortunately my new session is still getting black frames from NDI scanner on another computer. I can run the same source to Wirecast and then grab Wirecast as a source for the Tricaster and no issue. However with the NDI scanner direct input I get flashes of black and then complete black.

bbailey

Well, I had time to make a new clean session. I tested it for the problem and by golly it's still there. I defragged and the probelm again, was still there. The only other thing I could think of was to change from the D: drive to the F: drive....that did it! I loaded the old session, changed the record drive from D: to F: and it worked there also. Now, what to do about my D: drive. It has a lot of stuff on it and it seems to work just fine. Maybe I should copy it and then re-format it and load it back up to see if that fixes it?

bbailey

I popped out my D drive from my 860 and connected it to my Windows 10 computer. I looked at properties and found it to say there was no error but I could go ahead and scan anyway. I didn't. When the drive spun up it sounded smooth and normal. I put it back into the 860. But I plan on recording tonight's game on my F drive.

Top Bottom