Random MDD Diplacement?

merovingio

I have several MDD Displacement Node, with different settings. I'd like to plug in the Displacement node, but also i need to randomly choose between those nodes. A bit like you normally do with a gradient node, but with MDD Displacement.

Is there a way?

Mr_Q

I've always been here
Well for a start you'll need some vector ADD nodes to merge the MDDs. Then maybe some LOGIC nodes with conditions? We need a smarter person than I to reply. :)

It's not really clear to me what your goal is, but what I think you want to achieve isn't possible or at least doesn't speed up anything. With instances you can't use mdd offsets at all. I mean not randomly. I would just do it by hand. Just copy past the node flow to every object and connect the mdd node you want with a given offset. The only thing that might work is use an item id to randomly switch to a different mdd node, but I'm not sure that will work since for some reason you can't get an object id in the displacement editor. It would be better to do it by hand.

Edit: I just found a way to do it. You can generate a random seed number based on the item id in the surface editor and use pom's store buffer node to port it to the node displacement editor. This way when you clone an item it randomly picks a mdd file.

Last edited:
Here's the setup.

randomMDD.jpg

Oh and after a reboot I got it to work just inside the displacement editor. So no need to use the pom's node port thingy. ;) Just use the dpont item id node an pop it in to the seed input and make sure it's set to "self".

Last edited:

merovingio

Thank you very much. I need it for flocks. I think it will be more comfortable to setup different mdd via nodes (with little difference among them) then load up many different items and open the properties for each one. I think it would be even more comfortable to make tweaks and add up things.

I'll try your setup soon. Thank you very much.

Mr_Q

I've always been here
Hey neat I mostly guess the nod flow needed! I give myself a silver star.

3DGFXStudios

Space Monkey
I think this could work with DPinstance but not with DPinstancer. Mind the difference. DPinstance uses volumetrics which is slower to render but gives you the option to use the DPM motion files. But if your're using that I thiink you don't even need the above node flow. In DPinstance you can give the motion files an offets and even speed them up or slow them down. I haven't checked this so I could be wrong ;)

Top Bottom