Prompter Control Via Studio Monitor

bwood

I had a thought recently, could a feature be added to ‘Studio Monitor’ to allow a USB ShuttleXpress (or mouse) to control the prompter on the TC2 (kind of like how a USB joystick can control a PTZ)? I already have a dedicated computer to showing Studio Monitor so I can send it out to my analog prompter monitor, but if there were a way to connect my ShuttleXpress to that local computer, it might be handy. I’m currently fine connecting it to the TC2 via a USB extension, just a thought that might come in handy in case I need to control the prompter from somewhere else. Covid environments can certainly be weird!

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
I had a thought recently, could a feature be added to ‘Studio Monitor’ to allow a USB ShuttleXpress (or mouse) to control the prompter on the TC2 (kind of like how a USB joystick can control a PTZ)? I already have a dedicated computer to showing Studio Monitor so I can send it out to my analog prompter monitor, but if there were a way to connect my ShuttleXpress to that local computer, it might be handy. I’m currently fine connecting it to the TC2 via a USB extension, just a thought that might come in handy in case I need to control the prompter from somewhere else. Covid environments can certainly be weird!
This is already supported directly on TC2 and other variants that have Live Story Creator (but maybe not externally). It should be documented somewhere, maybe in the Premium Access or Elite features sections of the docs.

fgolman

Are you saying that the control of the LiveStory prompter is possible extended through Studio Monitor app or just natively plugged into TriCaster locally?

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
Locally on TC (I haven't tried it over NDI KVM, but that's an interesting notion).

fgolman

Thanks for the clarification, Steve!

FYI for those on this thread, I'm currently using Central Control to send back the prompter control from a mapped T-bar on an old RS-8, over the internet. It's a wonderful application and I highly recommend it. Check it out at https://centralcontrol.io

Fritz

bwood

To clarify my initial feature request, I suggested the ability to use something like a ShuttleXpress plugged into a different computer than the TC2. You would pull up Studio Monitor on that separate PC, then toggle the use of the ShuttleXpress, similar to how you can control a PTZ through Studio Monitor with a USB joystick.

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
Got it, thanks. BTW, as an aside - I'd be interested to hear how you are using Studio Monitor to display the prompter output (or considering doing so if you're in the planning stages).

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
Well, yes, I knew that. ;)

What I meant was how - what devices - and for what purposes - director, talent, other - are you displaying this output in Studio Monitor?

bwood

Sorry! The producer is briefly running the prompter at the beginning and end of the show. They grab the ShuttleXpress and look over at the computer with the prompter script pulled up in Studio Monitor. That computer monitor output is cloned with a cheap little converter to go from VGA to composite video. That composite output then goes through some other gear to get it out to the studio and into the prompter monitors. I'd love to eventually get away from the composite video side of this flow, but that would mean replacing my prompter monitors with something newer than 20 years old :) . I finally got my PTZ cameras mounted on the prompter rig--much easier than I was dreading.

20210210_224845821_iOS-small.jpg

Top Bottom