Plugin Registration, Licensing

darkChief

Hi,

I've never tackled this before so any advice would be nice. I searched this forum and found a few threads on this, so my questions will be based of that.

So, is the System ID info (serial number) good enough to create a licensing system based on an encrypted key?

Where's the best place to store this license on a persons computer (can I specify a specific directory or just use the content directory)?

Upon purchasing a plugin do users expect to get the license with the download, through email or through a website?

Anything else you can add on this topic is welcome.

ernpchan

For my scripts, what I do is take the dongle id and generate a key based on that value. My script looks for the license to be in a specific location. So upon script launch, it looks for the license, reads the contents of the license file and tests against it based on the dongle id it finds to determine if it should run in demo or registered mode.

As for getting people their license, I manually generate and email them out but the number of purchases I get is small. I'm sure there are more robust ways to do this.

darkChief

For my scripts, what I do is take the dongle id and generate a key based on that value. My script looks for the license to be in a specific location. So upon script launch, it looks for the license, reads the contents of the license file and tests against it based on the dongle id it finds to determine if it should run in demo or registered mode.

As for getting people their license, I manually generate and email them out but the number of purchases I get is small. I'm sure there are more robust ways to do this.

Thanks for answering my questions. I had a look at your website aswell. I think I will take a similar approach, I will avoid automation unless it becomes necessary.

I'll probably have a few file paths for the license file, including the content folder, just for convenience.

darkChief

And what about people without dongles, is an alternative hardware lock also fine (cpu id, mac address, etc)?

Sensei

TrueArt Support
People without hardward dongle, still have license.key entered.
And it has dongle id from point of view of LWSDK, which will be used to read it.

jwiede

Electron wrangler
Where's the best place to store this license on a persons computer (can I specify a specific directory or just use the content directory)?

One quick note on this: DO NOT use a user content directory to store plugin license data files!

Content directories are changeable by the user, and you cannot guarantee the user is pointing at any specific content directory during operation. They may have _many_ different content directories, and making the user re-license your plugin every time they change content directory is poor UX. For both Windows and macOS, developers have places where they can store arbitrary, "permanent" persisted data, at the least you should use such a location.

A common convention with LW plugins is to store plugin license data files either in the user Preferences directory (can exist in well-known OS userdata location, or potentially as a "Preferences" subdirectory of the main LW app directory itself), in the same directory as where the third-party plugin itself is stored/installed, or as a subdirectory of the plugin bundle (on macOS, because .plugin can be a "package" aka directory tree).

Hope that helps!

Top Bottom