phantom shadow work

vonpietro

Want some candy
I've been steadily helping out with an indie film called curse of the phantom shadow in my spare time.

A lot of shots use fusion to meld lw rendered elements with live bgs.

There are entire sets built for this as well as just half rooms.

I'd like to share something pretty simple for this shot - but as you know nothing is ever simple.

gumballs.

thats all this shot required - and the frosted glass on the left.

Gumballs as simple as it sounds - just a round object still had some process to go through to get to the optimal end.

i made a ball with about 223 polys in it so fairly high quality 24 sides ECT.

but multiply that out to about 20 and drop them into a box in bullet - and performance is - ok an an i7 2.4 ghz system.

however, that only got a few layers, so i had to quadruple it - and then wham - 100 223 poly balls choked and sims were running into the hours on my poor little laptop.

so i used decimate or whatever lowers polys and dropped the balls to 23 polys and hit tab to sub-d it -

well... i knew it would deform it a little being so aggressive with the decimate. - but a curious thing happened.
because it had so many less polys the sphere was exactly like a gumball - no longer completely spherical but gumball like and lopsided in areas and bumpy. all the while being 10x less polys.

so suddenly my 100 ball sim worked in a few minutes instead of hours.

after that the issue was balls just hanging in space - and the issue was the collision detection proximity parameter - reducing that made them touch and even pass through each other in some instances like a gum ball fused together - for the most part they settled close enough to look like a dispenser full of gumballs.

after that it was just a routine chore to integrate them into the shots live bg. A little lining up in lw and one single element for the whole shot making it easy to finish up.

after this shot - there is a close up and that required just figuring out the focal length and moving the camera slightly to produce a gumball that lined up with the zoomed in shot.
this second shot though had a reflection to remove - and that was the real work - utilizing a clean plate technique i had learned removing wires on red planet astronauts.

All in all invisible effects shots like this are much more common than you think.

hope you enjoyed my little rambling.

here is the shot

vonpietro

Want some candy
this is the insanely useful AI auto rotoscoping program thats online -
Runway Home - Runway (runwayml.com)
dont have a fast computer - no worries - it does it on its own server - so no need for your computer to get dirty.

sd version is free

hd version 15 a month or something very cheap.

results are like magic mask in studio resolve - very very good garbage masking - if you need a quick roto.

it can also be accurate in some instances. It is of course - a SUPER great start for any roto not against a greenscreen.

Axis3d

Lightwave User Since 1990
I've been steadily helping out with an indie film called curse of the phantom shadow in my spare time.

A lot of shots use fusion to meld lw rendered elements with live bgs.

There are entire sets built for this as well as just half rooms.

I'd like to share something pretty simple for this shot - but as you know nothing is ever simple.

gumballs.

thats all this shot required - and the frosted glass on the left.

Gumballs as simple as it sounds - just a round object still had some process to go through to get to the optimal end.

i made a ball with about 223 polys in it so fairly high quality 24 sides ECT.

but multiply that out to about 20 and drop them into a box in bullet - and performance is - ok an an i7 2.4 ghz system.

however, that only got a few layers, so i had to quadruple it - and then wham - 100 223 poly balls choked and sims were running into the hours on my poor little laptop.

so i used decimate or whatever lowers polys and dropped the balls to 23 polys and hit tab to sub-d it -

well... i knew it would deform it a little being so aggressive with the decimate. - but a curious thing happened.
because it had so many less polys the sphere was exactly like a gumball - no longer completely spherical but gumball like and lopsided in areas and bumpy. all the while being 10x less polys.

so suddenly my 100 ball sim worked in a few minutes instead of hours.

after that the issue was balls just hanging in space - and the issue was the collision detection proximity parameter - reducing that made them touch and even pass through each other in some instances like a gum ball fused together - for the most part they settled close enough to look like a dispenser full of gumballs.

after that it was just a routine chore to integrate them into the shots live bg. A little lining up in lw and one single element for the whole shot making it easy to finish up.

after this shot - there is a close up and that required just figuring out the focal length and moving the camera slightly to produce a gumball that lined up with the zoomed in shot.
this second shot though had a reflection to remove - and that was the real work - utilizing a clean plate technique i had learned removing wires on red planet astronauts.

All in all invisible effects shots like this are much more common than you think.

hope you enjoyed my little rambling.

here is the shot
Yes, I would say that invisible effects work is what makes up most of the work in films. Besides the obvious vfx shots, there are many more that need something fixed that they didn't do on the shooting day or that they decided to add something to later on.

I've had my share of many invisible shots on movies. What sucks is when entire sequences get cut out of a movie for whatever reasons (run length, etc.). The movie After Earth had shots that we spent months on that were edited out. Ouch. The nature of the business. At least yours ended up in the final cut. Congrats.

Another good trick to do with Bullet sims is to use a low-res object to do the simulations, then link a higher resolution object to it with metalink. The cage object has to completely encapsulate the high resolution object. Haven't tried it with a parts object though. But, in theory, it should still work the same.

Top Bottom