PBR Nodal

MSherak

W.I.P. of a PBR nodal shader. Will eventually work it into a compound with slider controls in the viewports. Notice I have no GI or raytrace funtions on. There is only one light in the scene and a hdr image in the background. Very fast in VPR once it has walked through the tree roots of the nodal network once. Also check where the hooks are in the surface. ;)

(best viewed on a sRGB monitor, not a 1080 rec709)

Enjoy,
-M

Attachments

• PBR_Node.PNG
    PBR_Node.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,046

spherical

Interesting. It'd be great if I could read the labels. Robin's Egg Blue on Medium Neutral Grey and Pumpkin hurts my brain.

MSherak

Ok here is version 1 of the VPR PBR nodal shader. There are a couple things to know about this shader but should be strait forward to set it up.

1) This only works with VPR.
2) Turn off GI, All Raytracing and Adaptive Sampling.
3) Gamma Input is for two settings. Use 0.4545 for CS set to Linear and 1.0 for CS set to sRGB. Make sure either way your normal map is set to Linear.

So to use the shader. Launch Layout. Select the CS you want to work in. Do backet 2 above. Load a HDR for the background and set it up in the backdrop>add environment. Load your model and the textures. Leave all textures at default except for the normal map which you should set to linear. Next go to the surface and into the node editor. Right click and import the node. Once loaded place fill in your textures in each of the image inputs and assign the UV's. Next hook up the Input>Normal to the Info Normal of the PBR Shader. Hook the normal map output to the Surface>Normal. Next hook the PBR Shader Color to the Surface>Diffuse Shading. (see attached images for hooks) Turn off Draft mode for VPR then turn it on and enjoy.

Reason this only works with VPR is due to the way VPR uses nodes. F9 needs more information to render correctly. If you want you can add sliders to the viewport for the inputs. Just click the 'E' button for the inputs. Add a null, add the Sliders plugin under Add Custom Object. Open the plugin and add the channels then slide way. The names of the inputs have the value ranges you will want to use.

For quick models to use with this try downloading from here. http://quixel.se/usermanual/quixelsuite/doku.php?id=ddo_samples

Of course this should be able to display any model that has been setup for PBR textures. Would like to see images of other files. Again this is just version one. I'll be updating as I keep experimenting. I have both metalness and substance methods going in this one. Want to get it to where only 3 or 4 maps are needed and can split the methods. Oh and this is all Lightwave native nodes. So should work with everyones installed version.

Have fun.
-M

Attachments

• VPR_PBRNode.PNG
    VPR_PBRNode.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 654
  • VPR_PBRNode_v1.zip
    3.4 KB · Views: 416
Last edited:

MSherak

Screen grab of the node added to AK47. And one just for fun.

-M

Attachments

• VPR_PBRNode_AK47.PNG
    VPR_PBRNode_AK47.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 558
  • VPR_PBRNode_JustForFun.PNG
    VPR_PBRNode_JustForFun.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 488
Last edited:

lardbros

Not so newbie member
Really cool... it'll be interesting to see how you develop this even further! Looks lovely so far.

Netvudu

Senior Constrictor
Very nice.
Qixel allows to output differently, to different PBR viewports. Which kind of output does you node setup prefer?

zapper1998

Michael Nicholson
Just got Substance Indie and look forward to seeing what it can do when used with LW. PBR Node is a start.

How do you handle the UV's for Substance ???
Do you create the UV's in Modeler or ??
I am tinkering with SP and SD and want to know how best to create the UV's?

Mike

Marander

LW --> 3DCoat --> Substance Painter --> LW

Maybe some better UV tools are coming in 2016?

How do you handle the UV's for Substance ???
Do you create the UV's in Modeler or ??
I am tinkering with SP and SD and want to know how best to create the UV's?

Mike

Top Bottom