• Dear NewTek ( now Vizrt) community,
    We are merging and updating our forum to join it with the Vizrt Forum. Here's what you need to know:
    All existing threads, posts, knowledge articles, and user accounts will be seamlessly migrated.
    Once the merge is completed, the old forums will no longer be accessible.
    We are making this move to unite our Vizrt and NewTek forums, creating a new, enhanced experience for our community members and technology users.
    We will notify you once the change has been made and the new forum is live.
    Thank you for your continued support in our growing community!

Option to _Not_ Auto Load last session on startup.

dan1066

Upgraded to v5 this week and discovered the 'autoload last session unless you hit a key within 10 seconds' feature.

By the time I rebuild all our sessions - we'll have no less than 35 (not accounting for anything new that comes along the pike.) .

While we see how some studios could benefit from this feature, it is something that we will find cumbersome.

Dan Young
Creative Director
Access Nashua Community Television.

Upgraded to v5 this week and discovered the 'autoload last session unless you hit a key within 10 seconds' feature.

By the time I rebuild all our sessions - we'll have no less than 35 (not accounting for anything new that comes along the pike.) .

While we see how some studios could benefit from this feature, it is something that we will find cumbersome.

Dan Young
Creative Director
Access Nashua Community Television.

I would second this request. The Tricaster we have students using has a "template" session that I don't want them to launch into and work within, so it would be nice if the end user could disable this auto load feature.

This was my suggestion last time this feature request came up:

I'd prefer to be able to set a default template that auto creates a NEW session at startup. This way a new session starts automatically (so an existing session isn't damaged) but the system comes up in a known, but user defined state. Maybe it could do this only if you have a session named "Default Template". Otherwise it loads the last used session. This should make both camps happy and requires no preference settings or UI modification.

I would just make a macro to build your sessions. no need to have 35 different sessions if you can just load settings via Macros and MEMs

In our case JonRaidel, We have 35 different shows (and growing) each with their own (mostly) unique graphics packages including backgrounds and lower thirds. Some are optimized for skype sessions while others for streaming, some for 2 people in the studio, and some for 4 or more. Some shows utilize their own macros for dropping the stream starting soon graphics, playing thier openings, cutting to the right cameras, going to break, etc. I would think that building 35 different macros to load each session would be that much more cumbersome.

I'll take a look at the idea though for some of the more cookie cutter shows we have.

Dan

I'm just popping in to say that 'we're listening'. It's clear that the overwhelming view is that something needs to happen in this respect, but equally clear that there are various proposals about how to proceed. I'm not making promises, but typically we find some way to satisfy the majority, if not everyone.

First: I manage several broadcast shows for our network. each with their own graphics package and elements, nothing unique i can 'share'. I have to manage something over 5000 elements for our Technical Directors. Now we do have a separate graphics operator for lower thirds, so that issue is there for you. but i will say this...
each of your shows macros if they are unique to that specific show can still be separated as such. the benefits of making a 'load show' macro is cumbersome at first, but as soon as the first one is made, then it becomes very easy.

I would start out by making a macro that clears out anything you are doing with M/Es by making 'reset functions' taking advantage of loading MEMs via 1 line of macro code. You can then add lines to clear your DDRs, GFXs & Frame Buffer Channels. Resetting and configuring your audio is just the same MEMs, and you can setup your records & outputs how you want. thats your base. now your only lines of code are loading any MEMs that are unique and any content into DDRs, GFX & Frame Buffers.

I'm glad this conversation has been revived. The auto-launch function has been more of an annoyance for us than anything else. It's rarely useful since we don't usually use the same two sessions back to back.

This is kind of an advanced user thing, but many of you qualify:

• If the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NewTek\XD\Admin Screen has a value "auto_launch_session" (without quotes) with the name of an existing session as its data, that session will auto-open on launch, instead of the last previous session.
  • At present, there's no designed way to disable auto-launch, but if you set the auto_launch_session value to something obscure, like "_Disabled" (or really any string that does not match an existing session name) it will have the same effect.

I have tested this as far back as 5-1.

Thanks for this info.

For those of you not used to editing the registry, you want to create a 'New > String Value' key in this location.

Last edited:
This is kind of an advanced user thing, but many of you qualify:

• If the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NewTek\XD\Admin Screen has a value "auto_launch_session" (without quotes) with the name of an existing session as its data, that session will auto-open on launch, instead of the last previous session.
  • At present, there's no designed way to disable auto-launch, but if you set the auto_launch_session value to something obscure, like "_Disabled" (or really any string that does not match an existing session name) it will have the same effect.

I have tested this as far back as 5-1.

Thanks for this solution, it works for me!

Back
Top Bottom