• Dear NewTek ( now Vizrt) community,
    We are merging and updating our forum to join it with the Vizrt Forum. Here's what you need to know:
    All existing threads, posts, knowledge articles, and user accounts will be seamlessly migrated.
    Once the merge is completed, the old forums will no longer be accessible.
    We are making this move to unite our Vizrt and NewTek forums, creating a new, enhanced experience for our community members and technology users.
    We will notify you once the change has been made and the new forum is live.
    Thank you for your continued support in our growing community!

Old version of lightwave, render output format

tonyvdb

Ok so don't laugh but I still have an old version of lightwave V6.0 running and want to know if I can get plugins or do something that will allow me to render to a video format that I can use with today's 1920x1080 HD formats?
Or what option do I have after the render is done so I can use it in a video?

Thanks

Sorry to tell you, but 1920x1080 is not today’s standard, try 4k or higher.
I can’t remember, but doesn’t LW6.0 let you render to 1920x1080?

Yes, I can output at that resolution but I don't get an option to output in mov or mpg or other current format. Not even JPEG

Render out a series of stills and covert the stills into MP4 or whatever you need in any modern editing program.

One small program I like to use when I don't need all the bells and whistles of Adobe Premier is VideoMach.

http://gromada.com/videomach/

Ok so don't laugh but I still have an old version of lightwave V6.0 running and want to know if I can get plugins or do something that will allow me to render to a video format that I can use with today's 1920x1080 HD formats?
Or what option do I have after the render is done so I can use it in a video?

You should never render to video format directly. If there will be crash, lack of electricity, you will lose the all data and have to start from scratch.
Render to PNG32/PNG24/OpenEXR/EXR image file format.
Then merge frames to final video file.

...Not even JPEG

I have no memory of LW6 but even LW4 offered JPG. You may want to rescan/reload your plugin folder, in case the JPG and other i/o plugins were somehow excluded in your configuration.

LW4output.png

(However, indeed...render to image files, not video...then smack those image files into a video file with another tool. I believe even ShotCut can do this for free. https://shotcut.org/ )

Last edited:
You should never render to video format directly. If there will be crash, lack of electricity, you will lose the all data and have to start from scratch.
Render to PNG32/PNG24/OpenEXR/EXR image file format.
Then merge frames to final video file.

As true today as it was 15 years ago.

Thanks all, I will see what happened to the plugins. Its been a long time since Ive used Lightwave.
I know i have them on my Amiga but Im guessing they wont work on the PC version.

If you'd like to play with vdb objects, like your handle suggests, you'll need to update to at least LightWave 2018 on the other hand... ;)

B

Chances are good that you'll find some useful plugins through the Lightwave website; users submit both free and commercial plugins for everyone to use there:

https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/

I recommend checking it out whenever you find yourself with particular issues that may be solved a bit easier this way.

Thanks all for your help. I was able to find the correct plugins in a folder and I can now save to Jpg and even an AVI file if necessary

Back
Top Bottom