Old school Reflection maps?

sami

Hey does anyone have any (or a good resource for) old school style reflection/refraction maps? You know like the old ones that came with old versions of LW in the content folders (I have those) like the chrome & gold ones? I think there was a prism style one too.

But it would be great if anyone knows of any cool reflection map textures that help fake different materials or create different effects? thanks!

Axis3d

Lightwave User Since 1990
I've had the Dosch HDRI Chrome & Studio set for years. I think this is what you are referring to. They are different patterns, fractals, etc. There are sky ones also, but, to be honest, there are much better ones on other sites. But the Studio stuff are very useful.

Last edited:

sami

Thanks - are those just HDRI ones? I'm actually looking for ones to be used in Unity not as HDR but just in a simple shader to fake cool chrome, glass and reflective looks

Axis3d

Lightwave User Since 1990
Thanks - are those just HDRI ones? I'm actually looking for ones to be used in Unity not as HDR but just in a simple shader to fake cool chrome, glass and reflective looks
They are HDRs but you can save them out as png or jpg if you need them for other apps.

kyuzo

I reinstalled trueSpace4 a few months ago just for nostalgia's sake. There might well be some retro reflection maps included. I'll have a look later on.

kyuzo

Hi sami, turns out there was ony one reflection map with tS4, and it was a lot like the one that I have in the LW7 content folder.

DESERT.png

Do you have the LW7 reflection maps? They're not stunning either to be honest, but there was one for silver, and one for gold, and a couple of others.

sami

Hi sami, turns out there was ony one reflection map with tS4, and it was a lot like the one that I have in the LW7 content folder.

View attachment 150042

Do you have the LW7 reflection maps? They're not stunning either to be honest, but there was one for silver, and one for gold, and a couple of others.
That's different than the LW Chrome one - so a great alternative. Thanks for the find.

WaveRider

I guess they are still useful for NPR or stylized work.
seamless on X axis?
You can also add spherical distortion to the vertical borders to avoid visible pinching of the map in LW.
Harsh_Reflection_2010.png

I used something like refmap above on a separate pass for some cel tests. As the object or the reference null moves, those random lines flow and warp across the surface, like those seemingly random light streaks and reflections in Japanese Animation of the 80s and 90s. I think I did this back on LW 10, maybe even 9.x
celtestLW10.jpg

Top Bottom