Oblivion - Alternate Ending - WIP - LW 2020

prometheus

REBORN
Cool stuff. Having more cuda cores does help

Cycles hair rendering runs circles around Lightwave hair when it comes to rendering.
But..had I invested in octane for lightwave I am sure it would be similar, but there you go when comparing GPU vs CPU, on medium machines that are pre-built.

And the fluid simulation with TFD, much faster, up to a certain amount of voxel data that is.
There are of course those who can choose to invest and build their own systems with focus on much more powerful CPU´s and thus reducing the difference in speed that way.

Planeguy

Cycles hair rendering runs circles around Lightwave hair when it comes to rendering.
But..had I invested in octane for lightwave I am sure it would be similar, but there you go when comparing GPU vs CPU, on medium machines that are pre-built.

And the fluid simulation with TFD, much faster, up to a certain amount of voxel data that is.
There are of course those who can choose to invest and build their own systems with focus on much more powerful CPU´s and thus reducing the difference in speed that way.
Yeah, a GPU would be a must for stuff like hair. Only faces/bodies I want to try rendering are the ones from unreal engine (quixel megascans) and put a pilot inside the bubble ship, but render times would be too much to handle.

prometheus

REBORN
Yeah, a GPU would be a must for stuff like hair. Only faces/bodies I want to try rendering are the ones from unreal engine (quixel megascans) and put a pilot inside the bubble ship, but render times would be too much to handle.

Good poly hair, tubes etc, mapped with good textures, you can convert fiberfx to polygons, and extract out and thicken hair in modeler, or send to blender and create thicken ribbon tubes in there, though it may not be necessary to use full tube, thicken strands in the end hair, you could also continue to sculpt on a hair piece in blender to give it good sense of hair volume in the end, apply good texturing is the key I think, but will render faster than fiberfx by a lot.

JamesCurtis

I have 970's in my machines and have no money or credit to upgrade to newer cards at this time to run the newest Davinci Resolve. I found out I could not install the new R16 or 17 due to this card requirement issue. Damn!!

buy used on eBay. i do it all the time.

find a local seller if you are a bit "jumpy"

prometheus

REBORN
Or if older Davinci resolve versions are still available, that doesn´t have these card requirements?
Could ask on those forums perhaps.
though you loose out on enjoying the speed benefits.

prometheus

REBORN
I have 970's in my machines and have no money or credit to upgrade to newer cards at this time to run the newest Davinci Resolve. I found out I could not install the new R16 or 17 due to this card requirement issue. Damn!!
Was the installation aborted with such request of getting another card, or did you get it installed but with some protests, in such case you may be able to override in settings perhaps.

Planeguy

Just a quick low res update. Got the ship ported to LW from max. Added nulls to control the wing surfaces, and the tail rotor. I need to add some dirt to the hull, but don't want to UV map it (it doesn't have textures to begin with). I'm thinking adding a turbulence material should work? What you guys think?

Ignore the noise on the volumetric lights, etc. They are super slow to render, but got me the effect closest to the look of the movie. I had to lower the vol samples to get the animation done in 2 hours instead of 10.

Here's the look of the engine thrusters from the movie ( I'm not trying to replicate this scene):

I think adding motion blur, and animating the volumetric on one of longitudinal axis should get me pretty close.

RPSchmidt

Personally, I would UV it. I always UV every model because I never know when I might need a UV map and I'd rather get that out of the way before I start the texturing process.

BUT if I weren't going to use UV texture, I think for this model I would just go with an off white and add the Patina node > Dirt to get some nice edge wear appearance.

If you aren't familiar with the Patina node, Tim Laird did a very good tutorial with it > Creating Copper Verdigris Surface with new Patina Shader

I think your thrusters and controls look very smooth. Would love to see this with HDRI sky lighting (or even just a good open terrain HDRI).

Planeguy

Personally, I would UV it. I always UV every model because I never know when I might need a UV map and I'd rather get that out of the way before I start the texturing process.

BUT if I weren't going to use UV texture, I think for this model I would just go with an off white and add the Patina node > Dirt to get some nice edge wear appearance.

If you aren't familiar with the Patina node, Tim Laird did a very good tutorial with it > Creating Copper Verdigris Surface with new Patina Shader

I think your thrusters and controls look very smooth. Would love to see this with HDRI sky lighting (or even just a good open terrain HDRI).
Thanks for the tips, I need to check this node! I'd uvmap it but have more exciting projects that I'd like to spend more time on, but this patina material may give it the look I'm after! Right now it's just too clean compared to the ship in the.

Cheers

prometheus

REBORN
Definitely take a look at the patina node material.
Old school ambient occlusion to help ad dust/dirt, by William Vaughan, though patina may replace it..

Planeguy

oh yeah, I remember seeing that video once. Cool, I should be able to get the ship a little bit dirtier now :D
Definitely take a look at the patina node material.
Old school ambient occlusion to help ad dust/dirt, by William Vaughan, though patina may replace it..

When I use the Patina node (or the Edges shader as a "dirt shader") I usually bake its output as a texture.
Especially for animations, since the texture renders faster. With this texture you can control everything (e.g. roughness can be particularly usefu). You also need a UV map, but a simple Atlas map is fine for this.

Another useful thing can be a light procedural bump map, especially for painted sheet metal.

ciao
Thomas

Planeguy

When I use the Patina node (or the Edges shader as a "dirt shader") I usually bake its output as a texture.
Especially for animations, since the texture renders faster. With this texture you can control everything (e.g. roughness can be particularly usefu). You also need a UV map, but a simple Atlas map is fine for this.

Another useful thing can be a light procedural bump map, especially for painted sheet metal.

ciao
Thomas
Thanks Thomas!

Top Bottom