NRC - Image Output path not for Final Render sequences? Bug?

vncnt

Well-known member
LightWave 2020.0.3 on Windows 10.

When I tick Automatically assign the following Image Output path to each newly added task, all render output is redirected to the new path except the RGBA Final Render files. Even when I untick this option and define a valid output path in the Send To Network Render Controller dialog (button Send To NRC on the Render tab), it has the same result.

It gets worse: without NRC output path in the Send To Network Render Controller dialog (= empty 2nd line in the *.nrc task file), the Final Render output appears in CONTENTDIR\Renders directory but the Alpha output appears in CONTENTDIR\textBox.lws directory.

Even worse: when I drag the LWS scene file into the NRC Controller dialog, the Rinal Render output again appears in CONTENTDIR\Renders directory but the Alpha output appears in CONTENTDIR\[some_previous_lws_scene_file_that_doesn't_even_exist_anymore].

Are these observations known bugs?

NRC_bug.jpg
 
Last edited:

slacer

Member
Did you disable "Use Preferences Output Path" for each Output Buffer?
This is a flag per Buffer
 

Attachments

  • Buffers.PNG
    Buffers.PNG
    28.4 KB · Views: 22

vncnt

Well-known member
I think something else is going on.
In a previous incarnation of this test file I've been fiddling with the Use Preferences Output Path.
When I unticked it, I must have changed it. Then I ticked it again.

I've found this with a text editor in the scene file S:\NRC_content\test\Scenes\testBox.lws

BufferList
{ BufferList
{ Group
"root"
{ List
"Final_Render"
""
"LW_PNG24(.png)"
""
"S:\\NRC_content\\RoboArm_demo_midi-007\\Renders"
"%buffername%_%###%"
43
3
}
{ List
"Alpha"
""
""
""
""
"%buffername%_%###%"
3
3
}
{ List
"Backdrop"
""
""
""
""
"%buffername%_%###%"
0
3
}

So now I'm testing the same file with an empty string for "S:\\NRC_content\\RoboArm_demo_midi-007\\Renders".
 

vncnt

Well-known member
Removing that old string helped to get the Alpha files back into the current content directory.

But I also had to change this:
SaveRGB 1
SaveRGBImagesPrefix S:\NRC_content\test\Renders\Final_Render_
RGBImageSaver LW_PNG24(.png)
SaveAlpha 1
SaveAlphaImagesPrefix S:\NRC_content\test\Renders\Alpha_
AlphaImageSaver LW_PNG24(.png)

into this:
SaveRGB 1
SaveRGBImagesPrefix S:\NRC_content\test\Renders\Final_Render_V_
RGBImageSaver LW_PNG24(.png)
SaveAlpha 1
SaveAlphaImagesPrefix S:\NRC_content\test\Renders\Alpha_V_
AlphaImageSaver LW_PNG24(.png)

Now I have the situation:
  • defining Output path in Send To Network Render Controller as S:\NRC_output
    renders to the S:\NRC_output\ directory
  • defining Output path in Send To Network Render Controller as S:\OUTPUT\ + override in NRC Controller Preferences as S:\NRC_output + UNTICK Organize
    renders to the S:\OUTPUT\testBox.lws\ directory
  • defining Output path in Send To Network Render Controller as S:\OUTPUT\ + override in NRC Controller Preferences as S:\NRC_output + UNTICK Organize
    renders to the S:\OUTPUT\ directory

  • defining Output path in Send To Network Render Controller as [empty]
    renders to the S:\NRC_content\test\Renders\ directory
  • defining Output path in Send To Network Render Controller as [empty] + override in NRC Controller Preferences as S:\NRC_output + tick Organize
    renders to the S:\NRC_output\testBox.lws\ directory
  • defining Output path in Send To Network Render Controller as [empty] + override in NRC Controller Preferences as S:\NRC_output + UNTICK Organize
    renders to the S:\NRC_output\ directory
So, the Output path in the *.nrc Task file has priority over the NRC Controller Preferences, and the Organize output into subfolders by task name is still functional.
This is good news.

The bad news is:
  • Do not change the Base Save Path after unticking the Use Preferences Output Path. Leave it as it is.
  • Even an empty LWS scene file contains:
    • SaveRGBImagesPrefix S:\NRC_content\test\Renders\Final_Render_
    • SaveAlphaImagesPrefix S:\NRC_content\test\Renders\Alpha_

      leading to possible conflicts

      [EDIT: if I add a Null with a box shape to the empty scene, all is fine. The reason this fix seemed to solve the issue must have been something else.]
 
Last edited:
Top Bottom