note to the developers

Sam_Horton

Just in case any of the Newtek dev team reads this...

Is it possible to add support for tagging individual models with user data for shockwave 3D. This is a cool feature that Director supports, but the current Lightwave exporter doesn't take advantage of.

I think we would first need to have the ability to add notes to our models in the Layout scene editor for instance -which could be really useful for general LW workflow. The exporter could then read these values and export them as user data.

Just putting it out there!

mdoyle

That would be fantastic. I am seconding this. Have tried to come up with other ways but no joy in that at all.

Sam_Horton

I basically use the userdata field to assign custom properties for individual models. Occasionally I do this manually with code in Director, but it kind of defeats the purpose for what it's supposed to be used for.

What I would like to do is allow Lightwave to become more of a level editor so to speak. Where I would build a scene, tag certain models with userdata props, export the scene and let director make all of the appropriate updates based on the userdata.

Imagine being able to easily place objects throughout the scene for particle emitters, points of interest, ai path nodes, etc. Currently you can do this with null objects, but they only hold a position and rotation. With user data, they could contain a wealth of descriptive info as well.

Does anyone know if there is a feature already available in Lightwave that allows info to be assigned to a specific object?

mdoyle

From what I know it doesn't. I thought perhaps the filed in surface properites might be able to do it but it does not translate to w3d. Even to be able to call sounds, shadows, animations or dynamic interactions could be used on surface properties. IT would be a great help as when setting up models and surfaces you could have preset code to do the work. Currently I use xml to load all my w3d's apply shadows and laod nulls/clone items. This gives me a basic world to start with that I can fully model, drop in characters and have interactions before I have to actually hard code parts that are specific to that world. Great speed of workflow and allows me to get quick demos to clients.

But as you said it would help alot with having data attached to objects or surfaces.

Also morphs would be a great help. I started code on morph data but never got it finished (almost worked) but with the w3d format perhaps not staying and well there has been no updates I have left it on the side.

Sam_Horton

a bit off topic, but...
If you've done work on a morph engine in director, then you must have noticed the winding order of the vertices in a Lightwave mesh eh? I remember working on a project that accessed the model's vertex list and it was all over the place.

I bet the lscripters would know what method they use to order verts in LW

mdoyle

Yes that would be very handy to know. It seemed that when exporting a mesh from lightwave to w3d it just randomly listed itself (unless the object was not modified) If it was modified there was no way I could actually get the mesh to match up to the original mesh. Since the vertices where is different parts of the world (the morph) I couldn't actally transform from where it was originally cos I didn't know where it was.

I managed to get a workaround with the way I do the shadows but as I said I never got it finished and don't know if I will. Its a nightmare trying to get 3d worlds working well in low spec machines with half decent textures in shockwave, I managed to find ways to cut up models etc to speed things up but it really is a time consuming process but sometimes the results are worth it in the end.

Yarg

Game Developer
Just add tags to your surface names eg. wall/x1/x2/x3 and then read them into director with the item delimiter to setup your userdata.

Not as nice as supporting userdata directly but works fine ;-)

mdoyle

HAve done that before, but it means u need to keep naming conventions plus you can't have multiple surfaces doing different things or the same things. THere are work arounds but it would be nice to have user data.

Top Bottom