Node idea

connerh

Ze Engineer
I was just wondering about having a volumetric-style node (a little like Ogo_Hikari). What I was thinking, was have it defined by something like a gradient, and have textures applied to certain depths. Each layer would have a transparency/clipping setting, penetration depth and amounts, spec, etc. I know that this is extremely complex, and my programming abilities aren't anywhere near up for this, but think about the possibilities with such a node! I mean... if you had good enough alpha maps, you could create incredibly complex models based off of a low resolution cage. This is asking a LOT out of any programmers out there, but something like this, I would definately be willing to pay for. Anyone else?

dpont

I'm not candidate to develop, but just want to add
this sounds like a 2.5D raytracer, so there's actually no nodal
system for volumetric, it is necessary to build a ray marcher
plugin like volumetric fog (or OGO_Hikari).
But not sure this will become a paint-program with nodes,
because even for fast-renderer system that needs a cloud
generator with some included physical simulations,
vapor and droplet source distribution, instead of simple
sharpened layered noisy plane.
For scattering between layers, sun-light and eye, there
are some specific problems, because 2.5D (2D in 3D space)
may let we see, slices of layers.

References:
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=86024&PageSize=25&WhichPage=2

Denis.

RedBull

Heir to the Throne
There is TB's infinite Plane, which while not Nodal works with Dponts NodeVol Node. This is basically a volumetric plugin similar to what's mentioned.
Transparancies layers of fractal noise can be used cloud layers etc..

connerh

Ze Engineer
well, I had more in mind of complex organics. I understand how the voluming system works, and I can foresee many many problems with this, which is why I'm not going to try to code it. I was just suggesting a Hikari-style volume system for nodal, mainly.

Sensei

TrueArt Support
connerh said:
I was just wondering about having a volumetric-style node (a little like Ogo_Hikari). What I was thinking, was have it defined by something like a gradient, and have textures applied to certain depths. Each layer would have a transparency/clipping setting, penetration depth and amounts, spec, etc. I know that this is extremely complex, and my programming abilities aren't anywhere near up for this, but think about the possibilities with such a node! I mean... if you had good enough alpha maps, you could create incredibly complex models based off of a low resolution cage. This is asking a LOT out of any programmers out there, but something like this, I would definately be willing to pay for. Anyone else?

Sounds pretty like VoluMedic ;)
But it takes grey scale 3d scanned image sequence and require user to assign colors to grey values, and makes volumetric colorful object from them..
I see problem here- if it has to have great quality for end user how would you create so many depths without using medic 3d scanner?
It has to be volumetric with Node Editor with something like this as target node?

connerh

Ze Engineer
It would be something like that. I mean, again, I'm not certain what the best method is for attacking this. It is very similar to Volumedic, only it would allow for procedural textures and image maps to be plugged in. I kind of picture this as working like a clip map would, if you had lots and lots of 2d layers packed in really close.

[Edit]
Kinda like this...
[/Edit]

Attachments

• stacks.jpg
    stacks.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 451
Top Bottom