NewTek Forum Updates

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
Dear forum members - you may have noticed some quirky forum behavior in the last few days. I'm happy to announce that this is largely due to work preceding a switch from our long-serving but rather 'long in the tooth' forum software to a new product.

The actual changeover is scheduled for this evening, beginning around 8:00 PM, CST. The process is rather involved, requiring backups and DNS changes (which can take some to fully propagate), so it would probably be best to expect the forums to be down for much of the overnight period. We're sorry for the inconvenience, but hope you will be pleased with the end results.

Once the swap-over has taken place, please to let us know about any oddities you encounter, so these can be addressed progressively.

Once more, thanks for you patience, and your patronage!

prometheus

REBORN
Yes, yesterday was an introduction, looked pretty nice, and vimeo direct embedding of videos is working so that is good,
but some oddities with some threads that wasn´t there, and I didn´t find my inbox and outbox folders.

Have been waiting for this for a long long time, however ..I didn´t manage to try the image postings within a thread, not before it was taken down.

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
I haven't been watching this closely, but am told they had some issues with the db import, and had to repeat it. I imagine this will mean that some posts that happened in the period after the initial update may have been lost.

Kryslin

Things did look very nice. I use XenForo on a couple of other sites.

I noticed a few oddities - like myself being moderated, a few features not implemented, some minor issues with themes, and privileges not set properly - but all in all, it looked good.

prometheus

REBORN
Things did look very nice. I use XenForo on a couple of other sites.

I noticed a few oddities - like myself being moderated, a few features not implemented, some minor issues with themes, and privileges not set properly - but all in all, it looked good.

Yes, the moderation awaiting was irritating as h...
Hopefully that was a test on some of the users when they do not behave..or for new users:D
If they implement it generally for all..it will kill the forums before the posts are even moderated:D

But otherwise, the general look was nice and also better for mobile phones, the only thing about the look that bothered me slightly, that is the huge newtek icon, it may be pretty if you have worked in the company since the beginning..
but it´s not that fancy really..but tha´ts a minor cosmetic issue others may not be bothered about.

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
Hopefully that was a test on some of the users when they do not behave..or for new users:D
I think some of the permissions didn't transfer as expected when restoring from a backup or switching to the new sw, not really sure. Not intentional, anyway.

Before too long, I imagine they'll be reinstating the new sw, so all bets are off. Feel free to PM me with issues after that happens. I probably won't be able to solve them all instantly, but will get to them.

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
ATTENTION: IT informs me they will be taking the forums down at noon today (CST), and that they may be down as long as 8 hours. As usual, apologies for the disruption (if at first you don't succeed ...)

prometheus

REBORN
ATTENTION: IT informs me they will be taking the forums down at noon today (CST), and that they may be down as long as 8 hours. As usual, apologies for the disruption (if at first you don't succeed ...)

Thanks for the heads up SBowie, guess that means cleaning the house for 8 hours then :) as good time as any:)

Rastus

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, the moderation awaiting was irritating as h...
If they implement it generally for all..it will kill the forums before the posts are even moderated:D

But otherwise, the general look was nice and also better for mobile phones, the only thing about the look that bothered me slightly, that is the huge newtek icon, it may be pretty if you have worked in the company since the beginning..
but it´s not that fancy really..but tha´ts a minor cosmetic issue others may not be bothered about.
The Moderation issue should be resolved, if not. pm me.

Working on the N

JamesCurtis

Is there a collapse the categories like before, or make the ones you don't particularly need invisible somehow. I don't have a Tricaster or any of the other NY stuff, except for LW?

prometheus

REBORN
It´s looking better as for the looks, but as you say..I think there will be missing functions..but perhaps it can be restored/replaced later on?
the Newtek logo also now changed to be not as obtrusive with former white and blue, so that is good.

What is better in functionality is that vimeo embedded vids now finally works, which was ruined in the old forum format.

As for posting images in a decent size..which was horrible in the former version, let´s check....

car_xray.jpg

Yes...that works just nice and well as it should be, now I don´t have to hack the image host and paste back in to url..which was a bit tedious if I wanted a larger image directly in the post.

prometheus

REBORN
and for those looking for your mailbox, it is the envelope icon of course, click on that and you will see no new conversations mostly..if you don´t have anything in the inbox, to see all former mail conversations, click on show all...that will result in all messages, you then have to go to filter and select started etc.

RPSchmidt

I like the new look and GUI layout; but like the old forums, the "New Posts" button still pulls down all new posts throughout all Newtek forums, regardless of what actual topic forum you are in.

The default behavior should only be applicable at the top level, i.e., if you are viewing all forums and click "New Posts" you should get all new posts in every forum.

If I'm in Lightwave Community, the "New Posts" function should be confined to new or unviewed posts in that forum only.

It's a simple code change.

prometheus

REBORN
In due time I think we may have all the functionality, or similar hopefully.
Personally I think it´s already shaping up to be better, especially since I was so frustrated over posting images and embedding vimeolinks, that now seems to work good enough.
so I am happy about the change so far, some quirks maybe..

Can´t find any edit button for a post that is applied.

Top Bottom