NEWTEK: Could you please get the author of LWCad to write a manual?

bryphi77

Banned
That's a great idea swami. I would suggest taking some measurements of actual building materials because your proportion are way off in the one you posted. :)

tonybliss

The Arts are alive in me
I ... was ... experimenting ... with ... the ... tools ... bryphi77 ... it ... was ... a ... literal ... twenty ... minute ... e-x-p-e-r-i-m-e-n-t ... you ... UNDERSTAND ....

by the way i am not a CAD person but i built actual houses ... for the tutorial that i am writing the measurements will not be accurate. i am taking time off to write a detailed tut for the other to understand the tool

Bryp man will upload as a doc file that you and others can add to :) Maybe you can add some actual measurements for doors, brick thickness and plastering thichness, casting, et al. I for one would certainly benifit from this info !!!

BTW Bryphi69, i did enjoy this little mental golf here (been a while since I have gone bitch mode with wit applied :D) If you wish to continue its all good and fun, i am having a ball here with this with my wife :D :D me gusta mierda !!!

tonybliss

The Arts are alive in me
I used nexon plugins for the stairs ... lw cad got me excited about doing cad stuff and before starting the tuts i flayed for a stair plugin and found nexon's spiral and straight stair plugins.
took on a job that is totally cad oriented ... my first, but ready as a horny rabbit

Cageman

Almost newbie
*sigh*

Why do I see this imature stuff all the time in LW-related forums?

The "retared" artists are the ones making the pretty pictures, while the "talentless" technicians are the ones that give the artists their tools. Why not make a TEAM and enjoy eachothers "talents"?

Friendship to the People!

:)

tonybliss

The Arts are alive in me
bryphi77 ... i am soooo sorry ... lo siento ... sumimasen sa

I need to be more sensitive ... i will find a genuine way to make it up to you :)

... i am serious !!!

bryphi77

Banned
That was a joke. Make your tut! That's all I wanted to begin with. That will plenty make up for your retard comment. Looking forward to it :lwicon:

mdunakin

swami, thanx, I too will be looking forward to your tut :)

Post up when you get it or even a simple version of it and I can add
that to my list of help/tips/manual thingy as I want links in there too.
I'm basically trying to make it have as much info in it as I can for
a one stop spot for free LW-CAD extras Info.

If I end up with more then I think would work as text, then I'll be
more then happy to convert some things into actual full on tutorials.
You know, if people contribute tutorials that have images and such.

It'll all just depend on what I find and how much I find?

Thanx for this.................md :)
P.S> kinda a poll here, but would people rather see things I gather as only text,
or a DOC file with images or a HTML page that has text and images?

colkai

How Old? Really? Aww Heck
cgswami said:
Sorry to be rude but are you guys are retarded, yes the tutorials are not perfect, but you don't NEED a tutorial to figure out how to use basic straight foward tools, sasquatch maybe, ogo taiki maybe, LW CAD the program is straight foward and i was able to handle pefectly the tutorials. You ladies bitch about everything ..

Well excuse us!
Hey, maybe next time you personally struggle with something, the thread should simply be filled with "well duh, you must be retarded".

Way to endear yourself to folks. :thumbsdow

tonybliss

The Arts are alive in me
OK ... OK ... My statment was harsh and mis written .... I think i got fed up with the whining about everything ...
First you have people saying vue is worthless ... blah blah a few choose to explore
Then you haggle the already busy NT to get the programmers to write a tutorial ... and we knowing the fact that the sole programmer (according to the NT interview) is working to improve the current version.
well then there are those who say LW can't this and that ... apart from those who have truely tried everything and found better solutions in other apps the three situations come across as superficial.

Remember we PAID for the upgrade to LW9 NOT for Vue and now LWCAD, yes they may become more useful to us faster with better docs but that does not stop us from experimenting and helping others minus the rant to NT for giving us 800 bucks of software and inefficient docs !!

Also i do believe that we can help each other in this particular situation (and let NT and Victor use the time to improve their software and documentation for future versions) Mdunakin has started a relevant thread in that direction, I wish to continue that by contributing.

So yes I vented inappropiately and am creating a tut to ammend my stoic candor

colkai

How Old? Really? Aww Heck
Then everything is Shiny :D
I totally agree about paying for LW9 not VUE and LWCAD, but I did rather hope LWCAD would come with some decent docs.
As it is, let us all see if we cannot provide some kicking docs and tutes for the masses who may have troubles with this set of kindly given and very useful tools. :thumbsup:

Kurtis

Seeing red
The creator of LWCAD has provided the documentation he felt appropriate for LWCAD version 1.5, and is in the process of creating LWCAD version 2.0 at this time. I'm sure he is reading your comments, and will keep them in mind for the creation of documentation for the new version.

We will not attempt to force him to write new documentation for the current version. We understand the situation he is in, because we are in a similar situation. As a software developer, you have to decide between halting forward progress to revisit an old product, or moving ahead with the new one you've already started. As to us being the largest customer, considering the arrangements we have made with him, and the fact that you all are the actual customers, not us, that really isn't the case, and we wouldn't try to bully him any more than we would allow one single customer to make us stop what we're doing and do something else.

As to us creating new documentation, this is not our product. Documentation should be created by the people that know it best, those that developed it. And, I doubt anyone out there would be really happy if we pulled people off of LightWave 9 to create documentation for someone else's product.

It appears from the shear volume of threads on this topic that the LightWave community is doing something that it is well known, and well regarded, for doing, seeing an issue where they can assist others, and doing so. I'm glad to see that some users are stepping up to help other users. I would highly recommend that those doing so keep in contact with Viktor. I'm sure he appreciates the assist.

prometheus

REBORN
2021 and LWCAD the software is great.
The documentation is still horrible.

Constructively if victor is to put any energy on it and overcome what is horrible.
What is it exactly you think is horrible? is it lacking coverage on some tools? is it graphicly not good enough or bad explanations, samples etc?

If you give us the documentaion of what you think is horrible, that could help victor to adress His documentation, but without a word about what it is, what can you expect?

KevinL

twisted mixer of pixels
There is no one place, updated manual & reference (say... like most every piece of software, like Lightwave itself) Instead, it is a collection of disjointed YouTube videos and various versions of the software, which at different times and places gives references to features that have changed, been removed or updated, but.... some of the under lying concepts are not clearly addressed. If I want to find out a specific featured function in a panel the best hope I have is a google search that may, or may not bring up one of the many iterations of the free wheeling YouTube demos, a forum post or a reference that may or may not be pertinent to the current version.
Example: went to google, typed in lwcad UCS.
Results from first few entries in order.
1-sites.google version 5
2-sites.google version 4.5
3- wtool3d (old site) opens a link to a pdf for version 4
4-YouTube channel learn3dsoftware (some older version)
Next couple of links pitching sales
etc.....

I've tried just biting the bullet and going chronologically through the help that opens when you request it from the options panel, but it suffers from the same disorganized approach. Feature is referenced her, changed there, etc.

It is a chaotic mess of numerous links, to different versions and relies way too much on video. For example, in Lightwave I can query the rounder tool and find all the info right there, with an explanation and sometimes there are useful links. When working, either using or trying to dive deep in training I have been stymied at every turn by this LWcad mess.

PS I have learned & used many software/plugin packages, so please don't go for the "user error" answer. It's not. It is poor documentation structure. My guess, is that Viktor is the kind of genius (and I mean that seriously) who is so busy engineering the excellent tools, that the drudgery of compiling decent documentation isn't his thing. When I'm doing post work I hate writing out long detailed notes, but i do it anyway because it's necessary.

Additionally, if you go searching for answers (google, forums, etc) you will find many posts where people are trying to figure out something they can't find in the formal documentation, and instead trying to find in forums.

Sincere, not just bitching but seeking resolution. :)
and I have written Viktor several times (not so pointed & frustrated in tone) about this several times

Kevin L

prometheus

REBORN
There is no one place, updated manual & reference (say... like most every piece of software, like Lightwave itself) Instead, it is a collection of disjointed YouTube videos and various versions of the software, which at different times and places gives references to features that have changed, been removed or updated, but.... some of the under lying concepts are not clearly addressed. If I want to find out a specific featured function in a panel the best hope I have is a google search that may, or may not bring up one of the many iterations of the free wheeling YouTube demos, a forum post or a reference that may or may not be pertinent to the current version.
Example: went to google, typed in lwcad UCS.
Results from first few entries in order.
1-sites.google version 5
2-sites.google version 4.5
3- wtool3d (old site) opens a link to a pdf for version 4
4-YouTube channel learn3dsoftware (some older version)
Next couple of links pitching sales
etc.....

I've tried just biting the bullet and going chronologically through the help that opens when you request it from the options panel, but it suffers from the same disorganized approach. Feature is referenced her, changed there, etc.

It is a chaotic mess of numerous links, to different versions and relies way too much on video. For example, in Lightwave I can query the rounder tool and find all the info right there, with an explanation and sometimes there are useful links. When working, either using or trying to dive deep in training I have been stymied at every turn by this LWcad mess.

PS I have learned & used many software/plugin packages, so please don't go for the "user error" answer. It's not. It is poor documentation structure. My guess, is that Viktor is the kind of genius (and I mean that seriously) who is so busy engineering the excellent tools, that the drudgery of compiling decent documentation isn't his thing. When I'm doing post work I hate writing out long detailed notes, but i do it anyway because it's necessary.

Additionally, if you go searching for answers (google, forums, etc) you will find many posts where people are trying to figure out something they can't find in the formal documentation, and instead trying to find in forums.

Sincere, not just bitching but seeking resolution. :)
and I have written Viktor several times (not so pointed & frustrated in tone) about this several times

Kevin L

Understood, my suggestion was only a generally constructive one, for Victor to consider.
I am not in a position to correct you with any kind of "user error" comments, since I do not have LW cad myself, Ivé tried demos ..but it´s too expensive for me right now, and not even to consider until vizrt opens up about wether lightwave will be developed further, it would definitely gain my interest quite a bit more if they had done so.
But even so...I would really need to be certain I would have a lot of house stuff going on, and apart from that, like you I would like to see good documentation.

KevinL

twisted mixer of pixels
Appreciate that. I love the software and it definitely is useful for a lot more than Architecture. It's snap panel, modifiers, live boolean, etc expand it well beyond house building :)
I am only using a small portion of it's goodness due to the convoluted documentation.

I to am really waiting to see if Vizrt is going to kill off, overprice, etc.
Throughout the years I've put thousands into Lightwave via upgrades and it has always had it's good and it's bad. The bad being primarily the way the development team never really delivered on the promises and kept charging upgrade fee's for what were basically fixes and catch up with other vendors.

jwiede

Electron wrangler
Appreciate that. I love the software and it definitely is useful for a lot more than Architecture. It's snap panel, modifiers, live boolean, etc expand it well beyond house building :)
I am only using a small portion of it's goodness due to the convoluted documentation.
Yeah, it's kind of unfortunate how the perception has formed that LWCAD is heavily "architecture-focused". I think a lot of the "LWCAD for Architecture" perception stems from so many of the docs/examples focusing on archviz and architecture-type assets. Looking at those does tend to give a sense "this is mostly about architecture", but the same tools and features benefits many other modeling genres as much as architecture. In that sense, I believe Viktor unintentionally "undersold" the value and utility of LWCAD by focusing so narrowly on archviz type examples and models, when he could as easily have used examples of prodviz, scifi ships for CGFX, etc.

LWCAD just massively boosts and enhances Modeler's modeling capabilities, period. As an example, the presets/assemblies are useful for ANY kinds of recurring composite geometry, not just "doors and windows" -- it's essentially a form of model instancing, and extremely useful as same. Similarly, UCS grants Modeler "useful snapping/inference" abilities, where native Modeler's snapping is extremely basic/limited. The inclusions of operation-level booleans on primitives/generators is another LWCAD feature that has broad usability and benefits for ANY modeling, not just for archviz.

If you're modeling in LW (or C4D, etc.) at any intermediate-or-above LoD, you will benefit from and see major rewards adding LWCAD.

I to am really waiting to see if Vizrt is going to kill off, overprice, etc.
If you're expecting more communication on LW than you've already received from VizRT, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

If you're expecting more communication on LW than you've already received from VizRT, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.
yep. there is usually a 3-years-silence period.

LWcad=Awesome!

Top Bottom